Is Russell Wilson Fake?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1eln9jkt said:
The actual content of the discussion isn't really about if Wilson is "fake" or not (although there's a little bit of that with the first baseman reaching thing), but rather, is about if some people find him to be annoying as a teammate or not.

From his time on the Hawks, his time on the N.C. State footbal teaml, and his time on the N.C. State baseball team a few people have said now that some of his teammates find him kind of annoying and think he's a kiss@ss who sucks up to the coaches an annoys people by trying to act like one.

That said, of the "bad" things a teammate could be this is way, way down there on the list (it's an inter-office politics gripe, not one too really take that seriously) and for everyone who feels this way about him there's gotta be at least one person (and probably more) who doesn't and many more who don't really care either way, but it is a story about him that seems to have travelled across multiple teams he has played for.

At the end of the day though, that *some* people he plays with might feel this way isn't even remotely surprising, as fans also comment on his overly eager cornball persona, and they're not spending full work days with him.

The sense I get is that guys like Cam or Rapes aren't great teammates from a PR and front office perspective, but pretty much universally rallied around from a team perspective. Wilson in his own way is kinda the reverse sometimes, it seems.
Where are these facts that his teammates find him annoying. To the contrary his teammates actually migrate toward him but have trouble with him being so private and busy with PR. I recall Baldwin's indirect slight that Wilson was a fake but not annoying or a locker room problem. Also going back to the RealRobReport days we saw teammates have had rapport with Wilson albeit like an odd little brother positioned to run the house.
As fake and cock-sure as Wilson may be he isnt pulling the Superman bit or fighting with his cornerbacks. For as much of a Me-guy Wilson is he gives prop to every player in his postgame speeches. It's the other guys I worry about.
Wilson hasn't done anything that needs teammates rallying around him AND his public issues are all too private for teammates to chime in. Out of respect they stay out of his personal matters.

Boycie

Reaction score
This is what happens when you are an elite player, and an all around good guy in the most popular sport in America. People will over analyze everything he says and does, and will find some fault. Anyone who questions his going to the Children's Hospital ought to give their head a shake. This guy has been doing this since he broke into the league, and continues to do it every Tuesday like clock work. It isn't an act with him.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
People always want to find the flaws in others. The guy is one of the greatest things to happen to this franchise, and people are still trying to find flaws with him.

I'd rather have a franchise qb that conducts himself like russell opposed to arrogant and cocky like cam or kap. I don't get why this is even a discussion. The amount of hope and self confidence he's given me and others is something I'll always be thankful for.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
This former teammate Heppe is stretching the truth as well. Good for him to make headlines even if he never truly played with Russell. Heppe played for NCSU during Wilson's redshirt freshman year. You have to also consider that as gifted and confident as Wilson was he was still short and not a highly recruited player trying to promote himself so to get on the field. It makes sense guys like Heppe who never played with him as a starter would give this cocky underclassman some flack.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think the contrast here isn't Ben or Kaep the real contrast is Matt Hasselbeck.

Hass is every bit Russell's equal when it comes to character and leadership and even religious faith. The difference is Hass was incredibly relatable to fans and very funny. We've seen in Hass that a QB can be all of these things.

(Of course, Hass never won a SB and Russ has rapidly passed him on the field, but that's not the point of this thread)

I think we can acknowledge Russell's very scripted and tightly controlled nature and still appreciate the person he is and more importantly the player he is. I wish every Seahawks QB had the personality of Matt Hasselbeck, but you can't force someone to be who they aren't.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":18x7ja1e said:
Where are these facts that his teammates find him annoying.

I didn't say they were facts. I said that stories about some teammates thinking he's a kiss @ss and a phony have seemingly followed him around across multiple teams.

When those rumors came out about him on the Hawks a couple years ago like everyone else I basically dismissed them, but this week someone from N.C. State said the same thing about his time on the football team there, and in the link above that some people had the same impression of him on the N.C. State baseball team was also floated.

That these types of stories and whispering have followed him across multiple teams means there's probably at least a little bit of fire to the smoke, but again though, I don't think it's a major problem or anything or something that fans should be concerned about (as is said before, it's the minutia of inter-office politics; some people don't like some other people in EVERY organization).

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Wilson may not be as fake as Baldwin who anoints himself the mouthpiece of the locker room even as Bennett says otherwise. The same Baldwin who had issues with Wilson's piousness but is now alluding to his faith in God every chance he gets. Baldwin who puts on a show in front of cameras telling his qb to step up and "LEAD US" when Wilson is miked up. And yes the same Baldwin who said Wilson didn't have a #$@# message in the NFC title postgame interview. Or that the FO went away from Marshawn because they conspired to have Wilson to win MVP of SB 49. This the same Baldwin who previously said receiving stats dont matter to him is now acting like Wilson praising God for him overcoming adversity. Unlike Wilson though Baldwin isnt quick to throw props back to his qb. Such a team first guy right?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Popeyejones":ix5bu8kd said:
Russ Willstrong":ix5bu8kd said:

I didn't say they were facts. I said that stories about some teammates thinking he's a kiss @ss and a phony have seemingly followed him around across multiple teams.

When those rumors came out about him on the Hawks a couple years ago like everyone else I basically dismissed them, but this week someone from N.C. State said the same thing about his time on the football team there, and in the link above that some people had the same impression of him on the N.C. State baseball team was also floated.

That these types of stories and whispering have followed him across multiple teams means there's probably at least a little bit of fire to the smoke, but again though, I don't think it's a major problem or anything or something that fans should be concerned about (as is said before, it's the minutia of inter-office politics; some people don't like some other people in EVERY organization).
I can tell you the contrary. If you can name players and reference stories then we may have a conversation otherwise you're merely propping up strawmen.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1o8l4zk5 said:
The actual content of the discussion isn't really about if Wilson is "fake" or not (although there's a little bit of that with the first baseman reaching thing), but rather, is about if some people find him to be annoying as a teammate or not.

From his time on the Hawks, his time on the N.C. State footbal teaml, and his time on the N.C. State baseball team a few people have said now that some of his teammates find him kind of annoying and think he's a kiss@ss who sucks up to the coaches an annoys people by trying to act like one.

That said, of the "bad" things a teammate could be this is way, way down there on the list (it's an inter-office politics gripe, not one too really take that seriously) and for everyone who feels this way about him there's gotta be at least one person (and probably more) who doesn't and many more who don't really care either way, but it is a story about him that seems to have travelled across multiple teams he has played for.

At the end of the day though, that *some* people he plays with might feel this way isn't even remotely surprising, as fans also comment on his overly eager cornball persona, and they're not spending full work days with him.

The sense I get is that guys like Cam or Rapes aren't great teammates from a PR and front office perspective, but pretty much universally rallied around from a team perspective. Wilson in his own way is kinda the reverse sometimes, it seems.
You lost me when you exaggerated his teammates not liking him. There was one and immediately another teammate came to Wilson's defense.

I know someone who has access to multiple players and his teammates love him. He may not connect with all of them but they all respect the heck out him and view him as a great guy, teammate and human being.

This stuff is stupid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":3wjrqweb said:
I can tell you the contrary. If you can name players and reference stories then we may have a conversation otherwise you're merely propping up strawmen.

As stated in my post you quoted, as far as these rumors go one of my "strawmen" is linked in the OP. Another one (Heppe) has been the subject of discussion in another thread for the past two days. The third one, about these rumors on the Seahawks from a couple years ago, I figured was a topic of common knowledge given that we're posting on a Hawks board.

More generally I think you're either accidentally or deliberately missing my point and getting worked up about it because of that error.

I said that now that these types of whispers have followed him across three teams, I think it's probably true that some of his teammates have probably thought sometimes that he's a cornball and a kiss-up, and that the vast majority of his teammates probably don't think this or don't even care if they do think this.

As I've also said repeatedly, I don't think this much mattters: it's the type of inter-office politics that exists in every organization.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It's because of the rumor about Percy Harvin not liking him. Percy gets along with everyone, and is one of the most respected players in NFL history, so obviously it's all on Russell Wilson for being an annoying, terrible teammate.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
austinslater25":2y3fjjss said:
You lost me when you exaggerated his teammates not liking him. There was one and immediately another teammate came to Wilson's defense.

I know someone who has access to multiple players and his teammates love him. He may not connect with all of them but they all respect the heck out him and view him as a great guy, teammate and human being.

This stuff is stupid.

You're reading in an exaggeration that isn't there.

I've also gone out of my way to repeatedly state that I suspect that the majority of his teammates probably disagree with this take, and even more probably don't care at all either way.

That teammates might love him and respect him supports the take I offered. It doesn't contradict it.

And FWIW I agree that this is all pretty stupid (I've called it meaningless multiple times). It's the off-season though and there's not much to talk about. If the convo is beneath you, just swim past it. ;)

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Maybe he is a little over the top but he is GENUINELY a good guy and that cant be disputed. Its not like he is Aaron Hernandez and murders people or is like Big Ben/Manziel or other countless examples of QBs who have off the field issues. Wilson knows how to handle the media unlike another NFC QB this past season. Id rather Russ NOT be like that QB as far as media is concerned. Honestly I couldnt give one care in the world to how he is presenting himself to the media. When it comes to football he puts in the effort and his performance is dare i say it, the best in NFL history so far, for the first years of a QB.

Ive heard negative things about Rodgers too. I remember stories from former WRs saying negative things about him as well as hearing about how good of a teammate he is.

I can handle Wilson being boring or just being a robot in the media and press. Seahawks have enough personalites on the team allready as it is, Russ doesnt need to add to that.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3490jaar said:
austinslater25":3490jaar said:

This stuff is stupid.

You're reading in an exaggeration that isn't there.

I've also gone out of my way to repeatedly state that I suspect that the majority of his teammates probably disagree with this take, and even more probably don't care at all either way.

That teammates might love him and respect him supports the take I offered. It doesn't contradict it.

And FWIW I agree that this is all pretty stupid (I've called it meaningless multiple times). It's the off-season though and there's not much to talk about. If the convo is beneath you, just swim past it. ;)

Nothing is beneath me lol. I wasn't really meaning that towards you just the whole thing in general.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3qridgf7 said:
Russ Willstrong":3qridgf7 said:

Funny how his teammate's comments that supported him and played with him for MULTIPLE years at NC and not just one year (his freshman year) is not picking up the same traction as the person who was negative.

I believe that we as a society have a major problem with wanting to see successful people fail, or declare them as bad people in some way so as to feel better about ourselves. It's kind of sick and obviously not just limited to Wilson.

I'm fake as hell in my normal business day. You HAVE TO BE to be successful (at least to an extent). If I said what I really thought or wanted to say on a day-to-day basis I would be out of a job very quickly. Additionally, it's just a fact that we have to compromise in general in order to get along with people, and I'm OK with that.

I'm not a religious person and I find Wilson's constant harping on Jesus annoying, but it doesn't affect me personally so I really don't care beyond not going out of my way to read it. I believe he is positively contributing to this world with his visits to the children's hospitals (and he is not the one that initially leaked that happening) and now that he posts videos/pictures online, everyone wants to state he's doing it for attention, but I really think he's doing it for the happiness of those children and families. I choose not to be cynical about that.

As a woman, I'm grateful that it is highly unlikely I will ever have to hear about Wilson raping or beating anyone. Something that not all teams fans can state. Even Peyton Manning who has a similar politician/goody type of personality, is a known adulterer in Indy and that's not even going into the issue he had in college.

Also I would question your apparent "fact" that Wilson does not get along with teammates and ask why they voluntarily work out with him every offseason? I have coworkers I would never voluntarily see outside the office.

All in all, I find the fact this is even a story ridiculous, and I will take my elite Superbowl winning QB and be on my way.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2mea9jas said:
Ive heard negative things about Rodgers too. I remember stories from former WRs saying negative things about him as well as hearing about how good of a teammate he is.

Really good comparison IMO, as both guys have had ultimately pretty meaningless character critiques that have followed them around a little bit, but at the end of the day don't really matter.

I have no doubt that to some people and teammates Aaron Rodgers can come off as a little arrogant (the story that has followed him around), just as I don't have much doubt that for some people and teammates Wilson can come off as a little corny and phony.

It doesn't mean Rodgers or Wilson don't have the support of their teams (they obviously both do), or don't have as many (or more) defenders than detractors, which they also both probably do.

Instead, it just means that they're human and that any time you put 50+ people in a room day after day they're sometimes gonna grumble about each other.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":h4sahzil said:

I look at it like this...if a guy is on a team with 60+ players (including the practice squad, numerous coaches and administrators, there had better be some people you annoy. The saying "you can't please everybody" comes to mind. We praise individuality, and every individual will annoy some people, because not every personality is meant to mesh well with all other personalities. That's just the way life is. I'd be more surprised to hear that he never ever annoyed anyone at anytime. That would be harder for me to believe. It doesn't change the fact that he seems to be a genuine good person, and has even less to do with his ability to be a leader on this team.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3oq120n8 said:
It's because of the rumor about Percy Harvin not liking him. Percy gets along with everyone, and is one of the most respected players in NFL history, so obviously it's all on Russell Wilson for being an annoying, terrible teammate.
Yep. The same Harvin who wanted to sign with Seattle because he said they had a great playmaker at qb who was like Favre. The same Harvin who was seen with Wilson on the practice fields joking and smiling more than with any other player. ;)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kidhawk":r6xt3gcq said:
I look at it like this...if a guy is on a team with 60+ players (including the practice squad, numerous coaches and administrators, there had better be some people you annoy. The saying "you can't please everybody" comes to mind. We praise individuality, and every individual will annoy some people, because not every personality is meant to mesh well with all other personalities. That's just the way life is. I'd be more surprised to hear that he never ever annoyed anyone at anytime. That would be harder for me to believe.

Yep. Basically said the same thing in the post right above yours (I assume we were writing the same thing at the same time).

Agreed.