Is the OL tipping plays?

northseahawk

Reaction score
I think the sample pool of plays showing these trend needs to be a little more than a 3 or 4 plays they are referring to in the article. It's a classic example of cherry picking and using that to make a bigger statement.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
northseahawk":1553k2gh said:
I think the sample pool of plays showing these trend needs to be a little more than a 3 or 4 plays they are referring to in the article. It's a classic example of cherry picking and using that to make a bigger statement.
Amen, brother.

Hard to tell what if anything to make of it, harder still to think plenty of players and coaches aren't already keenly cognizant of any issues like that.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
northseahawk":19leylse said:

Sample size seems big enough to me for it to at the very least be looked at more closely by Pete/Cable. I counted at least 3-4 plays against 8 DIFFERENT teams we played this season.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
northseahawk":pehfdrlh said:

He used eight different teams from beginning to the end of the season differentiating whether the play was either run or pass. While the sample size is small, revert back to what the title of the article is. "Are the Seahawks Tipping Plays", key word is tipping. That sample size is quite sufficient to give a defense a substantial advantage.

LolaRox

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1ymu2wqk said:
djb28":1ymu2wqk said:
Well, one week to fix it! Unreal.

Haven't fixed it since August. I doubt they will in the next 4 days.

According to Sapp, Cable hasn't fixed it since 2010. :(

Bottom line for me is Cable sucks badly and Pete and John need to hold him accountable for his failings.

Jville

Reaction score
austinslater25":3rp59n27 said:
Someone on Twitter said the formation already tells what this would supposedly tell. I'm not an offensive line expert though and Sapp's remarks scare me a little. Anyone with expertise in this area want to chime in?

I too am not an offensive line expert. And judging from all the vilifying and hysterical posts, it would be suicidal for anyone to step forward and attempt to elaborate. It is not worth the grief. As a trail of former posters have discovered. I will say, with regards to your remark, that there is a distinction between an offensive player tipping a play and a defensive player making his reads. I mention that because failure to make that distinction can generate a lot of confusion. I hope that helps.

I appreciate the OP and the linked article. It adds to the richness of this forum. Unfortunately, the most emotional among us dominate fan forums. They produce far too much noise and misinformation. Coaching forums and resources are your best avenue for insight on this meaningful topic.

Good luck and Go Hawks.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Jville":1kjuv9ha said:
austinslater25":1kjuv9ha said:
Someone on Twitter said the formation already tells what this would supposedly tell. I'm not an offensive line expert though and Sapp's remarks scare me a little. Anyone with expertise in this area want to chime in?

I too am not an offensive line expert. And judging from all the vilifying and hysterical posts, it would be suicidal for anyone to step forward and attempt to elaborate. It is not worth the grief. As a trail of former posters have discovered. I will say, with regards to your remark, that there is a distinction between an offensive player tipping a play and a defensive player making his reads. I mention that because failure to make that distinction can generate a lot of confusion. I hope that helps.

I appreciate the OP and the linked article. It adds to the richness of this forum. Unfortunately, the most emotional among us dominate fan forums. They produce far too much noise and misinformation. Coaching forums and resources are your best avenue for insight on this meaningful topic.

Good luck and Go Hawks.

Oh jeez, drama much. The combination of making a good read from a formation and getting a tip increases two fold the chances of knowing what the play is going be. Knowledge of the play going to be a run or a pass is significant, ask Rich Gannon how disastrous tells are.

Blaze808

Reaction score
It's a good thing that our Division isn't filled with 1st round DT with interior pass rush ability like Sapp.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
northseahawk":23jnp8w3 said:

If there's only three or four plays since 2010, how the hell did anyone notice it?

Or could it be that they just picked a handful of plays to demonstrate this out of a much larger number of plays consistently showing it throughout every game?

The more I see, the more I think Cable is the much, much bigger issue contributing to our weaknesses.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I will wait for the coaches' comment on this. There's often background knowledge that we're not aware of.

Hard to appreciate fans griping about our tackle situation and our underpaid OL when they wanted Okung gone for being too expensive. Fant has surrendered more penalty yards and sacks in half a season than Okung ever did in a full season.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Doesn't this seem like too basic of a tell for it not to be detected by our coaches and players? They dissect film the Monday after every game, so if this were a chronic thing, I'm sure it would have been caught or perhaps used in an attempt to try to exploit defenses.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1jux1o8e said:
Doesn't this seem like too basic of a tell for it not to be detected by our coaches and players? They dissect film the Monday after every game, so if this were a chronic thing, I'm sure it would have been caught or perhaps used in an attempt to try to exploit defenses.

True.

randomation

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3edo3xp3 said:
Siouxhawk":3edo3xp3 said:

True.

See one would think that but then we compare how many target in the redzone Kearse gets in comparison to our All Pro Tight End Jimmy. Soooo you will have to excuse me if I do not have much faith in this team as far as the offense goes.

Jville

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":gejdro3u said:
Siouxhawk":gejdro3u said:

True.

They have 22 cameras and player data chips along with the software and dedicated personnel to review and study it all.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":421yukwb said:
I will wait for the coaches' comment on this. There's often background knowledge that we're not aware of.

Hard to appreciate fans griping about our tackle situation and our underpaid OL when they wanted Okung gone for being too expensive. Fant has surrendered more penalty yards and sacks in half a season than Okung ever did in a full season.
Okung actually played football before getting drafted.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

Largent80

Reaction score
But Fan't played football in the 8th grade, he should be able to come in mid season and be as good as a former first rounder, don't you know? :roll:

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1dxj5eqb said:
Siouxhawk":1dxj5eqb said:

True.

But a guy writing a blog found it. It is still there whether our coaches see it or not.