Is the OL tipping plays?

Cartire

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":3qjw3aca said:
More Rope-A-Dope for the playoff run.

Thats where im at.

We got 10 wins and apparently every team knows each play we're running. This feels like its on purpose. Put something on tape you WANT your opponents to learn, then use it against them.

chris98251

Reaction score
Once upon a time there was a Pitcher for the Mariners, I can't remember his name now but for like 4 years he was telling batters when he was going to throw a certain pitch, the batters would just wait and take balls and or strikes waiting for the tell.

How did we find out?

Finally we made a trade for a player that disclosed it, he had stated that it's pretty well known around the league, why didn't the Mariners pick up on it, probably because they are looking at other teams and not their own.

Cable doesn't look at his line for tells, he looks for technique and missed assignments, he doesn't look with the eyes of a defender.

It would explain a lot about how quick lineman shoot gaps on certain plays, why we have contact in the backfield so much, just like when C Mike was giving away where he was running and when he was going to get the ball early his Rookie year, good defenders will look at eyes, foot placement, where your hands are on plays your in the pattern and those your not, if you have them on your hips lets say as a decoy on the line versus ready to hand fight and up when your going to be trying to get off the line.

Or how deep a back sets up on passing plays versus a running play and where his feet are, is he cheating with his feet towards the hole and or leaning a direction.

Never played a linemen, but I am sure there are tells that D lineman can read as well, spacing, hands, feet, how deep you set up etc.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":16k39xd5 said:
Once upon a time there was a Pitcher for the Mariners, I can't remember his name now but for like 4 years he was telling batters when he was going to throw a certain pitch, the batters would just wait and take balls and or strikes waiting for the tell.

How did we find out?

Finally we made a trade for a player that disclosed it, he had stated that it's pretty well known around the league, why didn't the Mariners pick up on it, probably because they are looking at other teams and not their own.

Cable doesn't look at his line for tells, he looks for technique and missed assignments, he doesn't look with the eyes of a defender.

It would explain a lot about how quick lineman shoot gaps on certain plays, why we have contact in the backfield so much, just like when C Mike was giving away where he was running and when he was going to get the ball early his Rookie year, good defenders will look at eyes, foot placement, where your hands are on plays your in the pattern and those your not, if you have them on your hips lets say as a decoy on the line versus ready to hand fight and up when your going to be trying to get off the line.

Or how deep a back sets up on passing plays versus a running play and where his feet are, is he cheating with his feet towards the hole and or leaning a direction.

Never played a linemen, but I am sure there are tells that D lineman can read as well, spacing, hands, feet, how deep you set up etc.

This begs the question: shouldn't our coaches be talking to each other? If our defensive coaches teach this, I would assume our offensive coaches know about it, right?

Right?! :180670:

Cartire

Reaction score
chris98251":ap2vdet6 said:

He has a scouting staff specifically assigned to scout our team like any other team would. Their job is to find stuff like this.

cymatica

Reaction score
Cartire":3d29vqrp said:
chris98251":3d29vqrp said:

He has a scouting staff specifically assigned to scout our team like any other team would. Their job is to find stuff like this.

Let's hope He didn't pick the scouting staff; a bunch of conversion projects from the nba

RW92

Reaction score
I hope they (the coaching staff) reads our posts. This has to be the find of the year.

Great post. It makes sense. As I watched the games these past weeks I almost said several times it's almost like the defense knows whether we are running or passing.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
chris98251":2te67hjz said:

How did we find out?

I remember that story, but, I also remember other stories of how, yeah, if your own pitcher is getting bombed, everyone is looking for tell tales... I want to say the latest one was Walker, or the side armer closer we had... can't remember.

Also, wasn't to long ago, a certain CMike used to raise his hands everytime it was his play.. I wonder if he still does. :)

I guess there is something to be said about discipline and doing everything the same.. every time.

IrishNW

Reaction score
Whats the down and distance on these plays? This article is interesting but without the context of the plays is just crap.

Hawks46

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2trwlr97 said:
So...this has been a known issue for Cable since 2010 and it's still not fixed?

Cable hasn't had an OL that's ranked even average in pass protection in 15 years. That was a known issue. Not sure how this is much different.

I haven't been a fire Cable guy, but just looking at those gifs and it's obvious. He's honestly got to go.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":rdhvk2kt said:

Some food for thought here......With Marshawn Lynch in the line-up, the Seahawks got a Lombardi, and WITH A SERIOUSLY BEAT UP SECONDARY, threatened to do it again while playing the Patriots......Difference is?, we no longer have Lynch on board, and RW has been playing with a CRAP Offensive Line.
Cable needed to COACH his O-Linemen to QUIT TELEGRAPHING THE PLAYS....It'sa no rocket science, eh TOM?
IF the O-linemen are confused as to why a lot of the plays are going into the shitter, that's on CABLE, & NOT on RW & Bevell, yet there always seems to be a shit-storm and a "Fire Bevell" that ensues a bad game.
Hell, if I KNOW it's going to be a run?, what's the chances the Coaches of opposing Defenses haven't already dialed in on it, and have their players blow up plays BEFORE the ball is snapped, & the O-Line even gets out of their stance? :34853_doh:

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Hawks46":2aoqucm2 said:
brimsalabim":2aoqucm2 said:

Cable hasn't had an OL that's ranked even average in pass protection in 15 years. That was a known issue. Not sure how this is much different.

I haven't been a fire Cable guy, but just looking at those gifs and it's obvious. He's honestly got to go.

C'mon man! Everybody knows he just needs time to develop his players!

:sarcasm_off:

WillySchu

Reaction score
I can't speak to Ifedi's alignment, or whether either trend is actually significant across a sample size larger than three still frames. However, the examples given for the tackles' stances giving away the playcall seems to be nonsense.

All three of the pass play examples are out of the shotgun, with the tackles using a two point stance. This is standard out of the gun. In the three examples of running plays, two are with Wilson under center. In both of these the tackles are in a three point stance. Again, this is the standard stance for this formation. In the final running example the offense is in the gun, and the tackles do not, in fact, have their hand in the dirt, but are instead in a two point stance.

Now obviously teams (all teams) pass out of the gun more and run while under center more. Whether or not we are too predictable in this capacity I am unsure. But at least in the examples given, the lineman's stance is dictated by formation, and is consistent with how they are supposed to line up in those situations (at least as I understand it).

Definitely an interesting angle, though.