Is this an NFL forum, or a 9ers forum?

El Caliente

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2w0aeddi said:
El Caliente":2w0aeddi said:
If you think that its bad now wait til this offseason when Harbaugh leaves for Michigan and they come for Dan Quinn.

Not to bad mouth Dan Quinn, who has obviously done an amazing job, but in all honesty, just about anyone willing to learn could be a successful DC under Pete Carroll.

Nick Holt was the DC for Pete Carroll's best defense at USC in 2008, and now he can barely cut it as a minor league coach.
I just went on wiki and looked up Nick Holt... what a weird career. And how was Tom Cable fired as HC at Idaho and later hired as HC of Oakland?

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1b741d53 said:
*As for Harbaugh wanting to leave for Michigan, is there any precedent of NFL coaches who are still under contract and still in high demand in the NFL forsaking NFL suitors and going back to the college ranks. The only cases I can think of is people returning after they've flamed out at the NFL level. Not saying it couldn't happen, but unless I'm forgetting some obvious names, historically, it seems pretty unlikely.

It's a little different in this case, though, when you consider that Michigan is Harbaugh's alma mater and if he wants to coach there this may be the only real chance he will get. Plus, I think Michigan will woo Harbaugh pretty strongly, and could easily make him an offer he can't refuse.

Besides, what makes you think Harbaugh won't flame out at the NFL level this year? ;)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
El Caliente":2i81w426 said:
Doesn't Quinn have ties to the 49ers (not a Seahawks or 49ers fan so not sure)? If they came for him he would probably listen.
If he desires to be an NFL head coach I'm sure he'd listen to any team even SC.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":3n5kai6m said:
It's a little different in this case, though, when you consider that Michigan is Harbaugh's alma mater and if he wants to coach there this may be the only real chance he will get. Plus, I think Michigan will woo Harbaugh pretty strongly, and could easily make him an offer he can't refuse.

All true. It doesn't get us around the fact that Harbaugh's under contract, though.

I guess on one side of the ledger we have the stuff I'm thinking of (from my memory it would be historically unprecedented, and he's still under contract) whereas on the other side of the ledger we do have the historical relationship and the need being there (most likely).

I guess another reason for something unprecedented happening could be that Harbaugh's a total weirdo, so him doing something strange wouldn't really be THAT strange. :D

I guess I'm just assuming that if it's really that bad 1) they'd trade him to another team a la the Browns rumors, or 2) he'd play out the last year and take his favorite offer from another NFL team before choosing to go back to the college ranks, which people do a lot, but never really seemingly as "choice" (they go back because of a lack of other offers, and then either decide to stay, or ball out and head back to the NFL a la Pete Carroll).

(I'm saying unprecedented a couple times now just b/c off the top of my head I can't think of an example. If someone has it, a reminder plz.)

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
This is pathetic. Posters around here have an odd fascination with the team down in Santa Clara.

We bring relevance to them by obsessing over them constantly.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1a0o7oer said:
Shadowhawk":1a0o7oer said:

All true. It doesn't get us around the fact that Harbaugh's under contract, though.

I guess on one side of the ledger we have the stuff I'm thinking of (from my memory it would be historically unprecedented, and he's still under contract) whereas on the other side of the ledger we do have the historical relationship and the need being there (most likely).

I guess another reason for something unprecedented happening could be that Harbaugh's a total weirdo, so him doing something strange wouldn't really be THAT strange. :D

I guess I'm just assuming that if it's really that bad 1) they'd trade him to another team a la the Browns rumors, or 2) he'd play out the last year and take his favorite offer from another NFL team before choosing to go back to the college ranks, which people do a lot, but never really seemingly as "choice" (they go back because of a lack of other offers, and then either decide to stay, or ball out and head back to the NFL a la Pete Carroll).

(I'm saying unprecedented a couple times now just b/c off the top of my head I can't think of an example. If someone has it, a reminder plz.)

I could be wrong on this one....but I think the contract would only preclude Harbaugh from coaching for another NFL team...I don't think it would prevent him from leaving for a college team.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Largent80":37tvs5if said:
Really?...We have 1 guy...Marvin, with more posts here than many veteran posters.

We constantly have stupid 9er threads created and multiple pages are the norm.

This is supposed to be about the NFL as a whole, not a HOLE.

This is actually caused by the way YOUR board is set up. Has nothing to do with Marvin.

If you want something fixed on your own board, why not ask those who can fix it? or make a viable solution rather than complain?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3uy8a9n1 said:
This is pathetic. Posters around here have an odd fascination with the team down in Santa Clara.

We bring relevance to them by obsessing over them constantly.

Agreed that as a 9ers fan the never-ending interest and exercises in lily gilding are funny and kinda flattering, but on the second point, there's nothing anyone on this board could do to actually effect the relevance of the 49ers or not. Like all forums this is just a bunch bored guys BSing and their BSing -- and MY BSing -- has absolutely zero effect on the universe at all.

I guess .net denizens could better police themselves to try to protect against a lot of silly Zone posters intensely believing all the exact same stuff about .net posters that a lot of silly .net posters believe about them, but that's treating a bunch of fans as if they're rational, which they're not. IMO, why even bother? People are gonna let their fandom wander off into overblown and bloviating moral claims about the fanbases of their rivals. They always have, and always will.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Largent80":3rk6fj65 said:
Really?...We have 1 guy...Marvin, with more posts here than many veteran posters.

Holy crap! I never bothered looking at Marvin's post count. That's interesting.

I pick and choose which threads I read. Helps to avoid the things that don't interest or amuse me. I don't create threads about how many threads exist on topics that do not interest me.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hmmm if they open the Checkbook and Harbought goes to Michigan I wonder, Holmgren was making noises again recently about the Coaching itch.

chris98251

Reaction score
Largent80":35q5x64v said:

If you didn't have the 49ers here batting stuff back and forth what else is there? The NFL Forum wasn't exactly the highest thread in popularity. Recently you may have had the Rice Story, other than that with the exception of who got arrested and who got suspended we have only the Monday or Thursday game threads going on.

The Rams or Cards would also liven the place up, but those are all in Hibernation at the moment ( exception the few that will brave the elements like Alice) due to the Long Winter of irrelevance as far as playoffs and winning records.

RedAlice

Reaction score
chris98251":3tdnrsq1 said:
Largent80":3tdnrsq1 said:

If you didn't have the 49ers here batting stuff back and forth what else is there? The NFL Forum wasn't exactly the highest thread in popularity. Recently you may have had the Rice Story, other than that with the exception of who got arrested and who got suspended we have only the Monday or Thursday game threads going on.

The Rams or Cards would also liven the place up, but those are all in Hibernation at the moment ( exception the few that will brave the elements like Alice) due to the Long Winter of irrelevance as far as playoffs and winning records.

I took the bigger point to be a thread where random niner topics can be posted.

This is by far the best and most organized forum out of 32 other team's forums. None can compete with the sheer brilliance of this site.

However, one thing the NINERS do better, is corrall all the Hawk stuff into one thread. This is a comment from a project manager by trade. It just makes sense.

It would only enhance your already great site if you created same such.

chris98251

Reaction score
One thread that moves from one topic to another with no context depending on who's talking about what topic or situation. No Thanks, you have to search for what topic posts you are involved with.

This takes a bit of work to keep clean but is worth it, we can lock or delete or move topics depending on situations and if so degeneration.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
HawkinNY":lfcqqbhb said:
And yet you create another thread.

If you wanna complain about him creating unnecessary threads, create a new thread and go complain about it there.

RedAlice

Reaction score
And that is your total right and organizational preference.

Then, no one should complain about Marvin. He is following your plan for posts. As are any other fans of other teams.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RedAlice":12pfi7ii said:
And that is your total right and organizational preference.

Then, no one should complain about Marvin. He is following your plan for posts. As are any other fans of other teams.
It's no problem Alice, I prefer your way of organization but I'm the new girl. It's not too hard to lock, move or delete threads as needed.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I'd rather all the ninnies crap was dumped in one thread. It would stop the pollution of the NFL forum and hide our strange obsession with that team

chris98251

Reaction score
Irony, create thread complaining about 49er threads in the NFL forum then people post in another 49er thread in the NFL forum complaining about 49er threads in the NFL forum.