Is this the biggest off season for Pete yet?

HawkMeat

Reaction score
This will be the biggest off season in the Pete Carroll era, imo. It will be a season removed from a superbowl loss, and two from a superbowl win. Taking my rose tinted glasses off. Huge starting free agents (starters like the LT position), key cog player free agents may depart or become too rich for their tastes (pass rushers like Irvin, backs like Lane, WR such as Kearse, and DT like Rubin and Mebane), and players with contracts that may get cut (Lynch). Not to mention players with contracts they aren't happy with (Kam and Bennett). This is a draft John needs to hit on and reload, a free agency they need to hit on for key rotational players, and players they need to keep (or replace) already on the team. This is why it is difficult to keep winning in this era of the NFL.

Can they pull this off season off and remain the NFC powerhouse , or do they need to start a mini-rebuild this year? They possess and have contracts for several key positions (QB, CB, DT, WR, TE), but poised to need replacements or extend contracts for Guards, WR, tackle, run stopping DT, CB, pass rusher, and depth at a other positions.

Do they keep the same coordinators, or do they get hired elsewhere or get replaced? This is huge especially with the likely move to part ways with beastmode the offensive identity for the past four years plus. Last year it was moving on from a superbowl loss, and now it is how do we sustain but still remove and add players while maintaining a winning franchise. Look to Greenbay, Patriots, Steelers and you will see how difficult this next year or two will be to not just win, but get back to the big game (the goal).

Big decisions ahead. I hope we pick wisely, and get lucky because there is luck involved. This is an organization that can keep winning and have huge pieces locked up, but to maintain some tweeks need to be made.

What do they Hawks need to not just maintain greatness, but improve this year? Who needs to be kept, replaced, or upgraded. What coach or position hits the top for upgrades? LT, DT, Guard, and DB stick out to me. I also see a need to upgrade our WR, and some would may replace our OC. It will probably be important to keep Okung, Kearse, Lane, and if possible sign Rubin and Mebane. Irvin may cost too much and Lynch as well. Hopefully our RB position will flourish under Rawls.

It is now the Hawks offseason, and it is time to reload and get ready to win next season. What do you think?

Threedee

Reaction score
Last year was, and he botched it. He has more data heading into this off season (like Bevell isn't a fluke).

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Biggest off season since he pulled a Russell Wilson out of his hat any way.

Rob12

Reaction score
I think a reload is warranted.

We need to find out where Kam's head is at. Does he still want more money? If so, move on. Look to trade him to an AFC team and let him be their headache. His play, coupled with his holdout that hurt the team and caused aftershocks once he returned, does not support a raise. If he even brings it up, I hope the team moves fast and gets him out of here. He's not above the team.

Same goes for Michael Bennett. Great player. He's 30, but shows no real signs of slowing down. But his schtick about money is getting old. I was so damn embarrassed he interrupted Kam's post game interview after the Lions game and called out Paul Allen. I'm just not a big fan of the loudmouth act when it comes to money. Keep it in house, and keep it away from the media. There's 52 other players on this team that don't do this. If you want to do this MB, leave.

I don't know what the answers are. I just want the egos gone. This team underachieved this season. Too many distractions. PC needs to reel this in. Need a bit of a culture shift here.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I think adding Alex Mack would be the biggest off season improvement JS/PC could make. We saw how much the offense improved when Lewis took over, but we also saw his ceiling today. The first half was atrocious interior line play. Mack would provide leadership, talent, and an instant boost to interior productivity, IMO. Russ took some big steps forward this year identifying blitzes and adjusting protections, Alex Mack has been doing that his whole career.

Bennett needs a promotion. Same with ADB. I'm hoping Kam's holdout came down to Cary Williams getting big bucks and shows up to camp hungry this year. He did nothing this season to prove he deserves a promotion.

OL and CB should be addressed early in the draft. Shead and Lane are FA, I hope one or two are kept but we definitely need some depth.

I think Beast played his last game sadly. Offense needs to fully adapt to what we saw in the second half of this season. Uptempo, quick hitting, big plays. Today's game was a complete example of the season - first half tried to force the old identity (like the 2-4 start), second half quick passing worked with ease.

I had mostly forgotten about Jimmy Graham. He would flourish in the type of offense we saw during the 6-2 run. Hope he comes back fully but he suffered an awful injury.

Definitely need to find some interior pass rush as well. Bennett and Avril killed it this year, Clark picked it up at the end, but QBs could just step up since there was no one there. Here's to hoping Hill recovers and we can get some new blood there.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Really good post OP. Improvement in the o-line is an obvious need. Agree on the interior d-line too. Love Mebane but his production didn't match his salary this year.

How they deal with Bennett's gonna be huge. Unlike Cancerellor, he manned up, reported and played. If I were Pete and John I'd at the very least add some reachable incentives to his deal.

Agree they need to hit a lot in the draft and in FA. To me that qualifies as a mini-rebuild that's needed.

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
I thinks in the draft, the offensive line will be our biggest area of focus. After that, I think we'll look for some mid-late round secondary help. If we lose Irvin, a linebacker COULD come early.

kearly

Reaction score
Arizona and other teams have changed their fortunes on the OL with a few savvy FA signings. You look at the best OLs in the NFL, they are either loaded with high picks or feature a couple of pricey FA additions. Or both.

Seattle won't pick high and they probably won't commit the money to OL either. But that might be for the best, as both Wilson and Rawls are capable of masking the flaws of an OL.

My biggest concern is the pass D. Our pass rush only looked good on massive blitzes all season, and our cover 3 gave up a high number of easy completions... even to bad QBs like Jimmy Clausen and Blaine Gabbert. Whether it's talent or scheme, our defense isn't feared any more. And I know that Seattle's defense ranked #1 in points and #2 in yardage, but those numbers don't tell the story about how frequently QBs moved the ball at ease against our defense this season.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
No. We have the biggest part of our core locked up. Nearly every position is fine no matter what FA does to our roster.

I highly doubt Pete is under a lot of pressure anyway. A coach who make the divisonal round with this many injuries and storylines is set to keep his job. It's not like we had a shite season or have a weak outlook for next year. On the contrary, we had a great season and will be one of the superbowl favorites again next year.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":1ivj52mj said:
Arizona and other teams have changed their fortunes on the OL with a few savvy FA signings. You look at the best OLs in the NFL, they are either loaded with high picks or feature a couple of pricey FA additions. Or both.

Seattle won't pick high and they probably won't commit the money to OL either. But that might be for the best, as both Wilson and Rawls are capable of masking the flaws of an OL.

My biggest concern is the pass D. Our pass rush only looked good on massive blitzes all season, and our cover 3 gave up a high number of easy completions... even to bad QBs like Jimmy Clausen and Blaine Gabbert. Whether it's talent or scheme, our defense isn't feared any more. And I know that Seattle's defense ranked #1 in points and #2 in yardage, but those numbers don't tell the story about how frequently QBs moved the ball at ease against our defense this season.
Do you believe the fall off by the D is related to Kam's fall off in performance? Or is it maybe that combined with erratic play at the CB opposite Sherm. Has Sherm lost a half step? Was Earl slow to recover from injury? All of the above? Some of the above?

BTW, I hope you're wrong about o-line but 'm guessing you're right. Sure would be nice if they upgraded at least the C position though.

mistaowen":1ivj52mj said:
I think adding Alex Mack would be the biggest off season improvement JS/PC could make. We saw how much the offense improved when Lewis took over, but we also saw his ceiling today. The first half was atrocious interior line play. Mack would provide leadership, talent, and an instant boost to interior productivity, IMO. Russ took some big steps forward this year identifying blitzes and adjusting protections, Alex Mack has been doing that his whole career.........
Agree 100% but like kearly said, I just don't see it. Problem with that approach is that at some point Russell's legs will quit bailing out his o-line.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I have a feeling this offseason we are going to go for it. Remember following the 2012 season how we were aggressive in FA .. I think the draft is too weak this year to rely on rookies.. wouldn't surprise me if the UDFA market works as well as Day 3 of the draft this year.

I just see this FO being aggressive to fix the OL. Maybe that means Alex Mack or Joe Thomas.. or a trade for someone we're not aware of as being available a la Graham.. but I can't see JS and Pete going into 2016 with this OL again.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
To me this is a big offseason for Pete because it will challenge Pete's comfortable tendencies. Whether Pete wants to admit it or not, this team is not a smash mouth team as currently constructed. He needs to come out and be willing to be a potent, high scoring offense. If not, than he needs to do some major work on the teams current construction. I think Pete needs to look at what he has and play to the strengths on offense.

The other thing is, I think he needs to look at adding layers to this defense. Just straight Cover 3 isn't working anymore. He needs to mix things up a little more. I also think this needs to be a defensive heavy draft. It is time to put some new blood into this secondary, especially at CB. And we need to find some more DL talent for the rotation. The time Cam had today was embarrassing.

Hate them or love them, NE has stayed competitive because Belichick is never wedded to one system. He's adjusted constantly to the personnel he has. If Pete will decline consistently over the next few years, I think it will because he is too wedded to his core concepts. I think Pete is flexible at times but we'll see how he attacks this team's problems this offseason and I think they will be telling for what is to come.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":sealpz2y said:
I have a feeling this offseason we are going to go for it. Remember following the 2012 season how we were aggressive in FA .. I think the draft is too weak this year to rely on rookies.. wouldn't surprise me if the UDFA market works as well as Day 3 of the draft this year.

I just see this FO being aggressive to fix the OL. Maybe that means Alex Mack or Joe Thomas.. or a trade for someone we're not aware of as being available a la Graham.. but I can't see JS and Pete going into 2016 with this OL again.
Praying you're right man. :pray:

chris98251

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1ardg3sa said:

They won't mortgage the future for one year, they may bring in FA's but I don't expect a non earned contract that's big, we may do a few prove it deals with O lineman like we have done with D lineman though.

OP
OP
HawkMeat

HawkMeat

Reaction score
I expect they stick with drafting defense early, maybe a strong safety or pass rusher. There are some decent tackles in the draft, but I don't imagine they use the first couple rounds for OL like we would like to see. A mini-rebuild may be what the doctor ordered. Sone of the key cogs are getting older or lost a step.

John used there first round pick the past couple years for dynamic players, with not much success. Have to wonder if they would try that again. The thing about our Hawks the moves can be very unexpected. I have to feel a bit concerned. They may need to get even more creative to keep this team at the top of the NFC (not that they haven't been). A couple great posts suggesting a trade for o'line. Imagine what Russ and Rawls could do with that, and letting Lynch and Kam go would give them even more cap space for a splash.

Latest posts