Is this the end of the pac?

NoGain

Reaction score
Now the latest rumor has UW, Oregon, Stanford, and Cal possibly moving to the Big Ten. This makes a lot of sense to me. The Big Ten then has the west coast (California, Oregon, and Washington) completely covered, it gets some prestigious academic universities, like Stanford, cuts down the travel time for all the sports teams, and keeps some rivalries intact.

Hmm...

Big Ten West

USC
UCLA
Stanford
Cal
Washington
Oregon
Nebraska
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin

Big Ten East

Illinios
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland

Looks reasonably balanced competitively, geographically, academically. It's never perfect. As a UW fan, I'd be all in. The alternatives don't look nearly as good.

sc85sis

Reaction score
If this does happen, they’d better not stick us with those crappy “after dark” games just because we are west coast teams.

OP
OP
C

CPHawk

Reaction score
If this does happen, they’d better not stick us with those crappy “after dark” games just because we are west coast teams.
I’d bet the west coast plays lots of 7pm games . That said, west coast people need to realize the SEC and east coast teams all want those 5pm prime time games, which happens to be 8est.

Last edited:

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I am in mountain time zone and I really don't like staying up til midnight watching games. It's terrible for national exposure, too. Hopefully the demand some better time slots.

RiverDog

Reaction score
This might be a better fit due to what some posters have referred to, ie the time zone change. In the western division, there would be 6 schools in the Pacific time zone, 4 in the Central. That would be better than if it were only UW and UO. It would also help on travel expenses, fans would have more teams within a days' drive, etc.

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
More rumors about conference realignment:

Rumor Swirling That Big Ten Will Be Adding 4 New Schools This Week

Jack McGuire of Barstool Sports shared on Sunday that he's hearing the Big Ten will add Clemson, Florida State, Oregon and Washington.

"Scoop City has received a serious rumor that the Big Ten will add Washington, Oregon, FSU, and Clemson this week," he reported.

If that happens, expect Cal and Stanford to join the ACC.

The ACC will fold without FSU and Clemson, expect the BIG 10 and SEC to pick it apart with the rest going to the BIG 12 or G5 conferences

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
Okay. This is good news for UW fans. If true (not knowing the details), my mind is more at ease.

There is zero chance UW was ever going to be left behind. The Research money, Strong Academics and Athletics and the Seattle market are too much for the Big 10 or the SEC to ignore

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It's going to happen...

Oregon and Washington appear on the verge of joining the Big Ten. The programs informed Pac-12 presidents Friday that they plan to accept an invitation from the Big Ten once extended, according to Yahoo Sports, and the Big Ten is preparing to make those formal offers later Friday, according to multiple reports.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

The Big 10 cut an 8 billion dollar tv deal with Fox, CBS and NBC, and all their streaming platforms two months after UCLA and USC announced their joining them.

So if UW and Oregon join? You can expect an entire slate of Friday and Saturday night primetime games.

NoGain

Reaction score
It's like musical chairs, nobody wants to be left standing. UW had no choice if they wanted to remain relevant. Same for Oregon. Stanford and Cal now left on the outside looking in. They make too much sense for the Big Ten not to gobble them up. Prestigious academic schools as well, especially Stanford.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's like musical chairs, nobody wants to be left standing. UW had no choice if they wanted to remain relevant. Same for Oregon. Stanford and Cal now left on the outside looking in. They make too much sense for the Big Ten not to gobble them up. Prestigious academic schools as well, especially Stanford.

Honestly, it's because of the schools like Stanford and Cal that didn't want lowly academic schools like Texas and Oklahoma coming into to their conference 10-15 years ago thinking the Pac 10 didn't need to adapt or die once the SEC started to expand is one of the big reasons this all went down like this.

So now they can enjoy being in a mid major conference where no one has to kiss the ass of their football programs to stay solvent and relevant.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Here's the big difference maker. It's all about money:

The Yahoo! Sports report further states that both Oregon and Washington “are expected to agree to a cut rate — perhaps as low as 50 percent — of the Big Ten’s media revenue that could reach $65 million/year per institution. That is still more than the Pac-12’s proposed media deal with Apple TV+, which is estimated to be in the $20-25 million range.”

There's part of me that's glad that this is happening. If the best the Pac 12 schools could do is Apple TV+, I'm glad the conference is breaking up as I don't want to have to buy a subscription to another streaming service.

But overall, it sucks for OSU and WSU as losing their status as a Power 5 conference is going to hurt them financially and may end up causing a trickle down effect to other sports programs that depend on state-sponsored funding for their existence if they have to subsidize WSU and OSU with more state funds to make up for the difference. Donations and sponsorships are sure to drop.

This is a case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. The Ohio States and Michigans of the world are making more money while the WSU's and OSU's are on life support.

Last edited:

chris98251

Reaction score
New schools in a conference typically not always get lesser revenue for a period as well as the lousy scheduling decisions like traveling to the top schools for the match ups . New kid on the block, conference Hazing really.

NoGain

Reaction score
New schools in a conference typically not always get lesser revenue for a period as well as the lousy scheduling decisions like traveling to the top schools for the match ups . New kid on the block, conference Hazing really.
They never said how long the unequal share structure will last. I mean, it can't be a forever thing. Does anyone know the answer to that? Couldn't seem to find it.

OP
OP
C

CPHawk

Reaction score
Come on UW, you can do it.
If the Pac-12 is going to continue, they should look into inviting school like:

Fresno St.
Boise St.
San Diego St.
NDSU & SDSU
Nevada
I’m guessing Fresno, SDSU, BSU, UNLV, SMU. Then they add Vegas, Dallas and San Diego. Maybe also Tulane and UTSA.