Is Tom Cable the right guy for the Job?

Shock2k

Reaction score
hIt feels like it's been since around 2005 since we've had a decent offensive line. This o-line story is so tired I think it's bringing about my next statement. Which would be Tom Cable? Is he the right guy for the job? Now to be fair he "coached" the 5th best rushing team last year.

But seriously, at the end of the day he's in charge of protection and there were NO adjustments last night for the Rams game.

Luck (Rams, Panthers, Texans) runs out eventually and the ball starts going the other way.

I get it, we are 7 and 1, including 4 of 5 on the road, which is exceptional... I just don't see us making a long playoff run, especially against the saints on the road right now (if we met them in the Playoffs and don't end up with home filed advantage through the playoffs) without a decent offensive line.

Too late in the Season to drop and grab another O-line coach, and honestly I don't think it's fair to judge him, I'm curious though to what other folks are thinking.

slargent4ever

Reaction score
What I keep getting tired of hearing is how Cable can coach up these late round guys into his type of linemen and that we don't need the big picks. I'm not really buying into that. If that is the case, shouldn't he be able to make every first and second round pick into a HOFer? But, I hold Bev responsible for this debacle just as much if not more. You can work some plays to help out that crappy oline, or you can just do the same thing over and over and wonder why it doesn't work. I wish RW would just pull everyone into a "players only film meeting", and set up some audibles. What's is Bev going to do when RW just changes the plays on his own?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Hey, Tom Cable finally found a way to make Carpenter look like a competent lineman, surround him with utter crap at the other positions.

Seeker

Reaction score
smh you guys.....
next you'll be wanting to fire Schneider.

hawker84

Reaction score
you can polish up a turd and spray some fabreeze on it, but in the end you still have a shiney vanilla/jazmin smelling piece of S**t.

Maybe he should pad up and show them how it's done?

Axx

Reaction score
actually cable doesnt get to chose if a RB/TE gets to stay in and block.

Pete gives Cable 7th round defensive tackles to work with. Some of the ex-DTs still think they are DTs because they are holding all the damn time and dont know how to pass block.

slargent4ever

Reaction score
ExperienceJones":3dfa0al1 said:
One tough game and you need to fire everyone? Come on guys, relax.

Who says anything about firing anyone in any of the posts above yours? I see the OP asks if Cable is the right guy for the job, and that is about the closest I see. Other than that, some people calling it like they see it. So who isn't relaxed? Are you liking what you are seeing out there?

Danny Darko

Reaction score
if you knee jerk any harder you're going to need a wheelchair to watch games. Throwing cable under the bus? really. sad. He's done a great job with decent lineman. Is Cable the guy for a job where a team compromises it's interior to provide terrible tackles thus leaving an injured center as the only workable piece? No, but if you want the guy for that job, you also want to be a terrible team.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Whiner logic taken to it's only logical conclusion:

If Cable coached Bailey and Bailey is terrible, then fire Cable! But if PC and JS hired Cable, then we need to fire PC and JS too. But if Tod Leiweke hired PC and JS, then he must go as well. If Paul Allen hired Tod Leiweke, then say bye-bye to Paul Allen! But wait... if capitalism allowed Paul Allen to obtain enough money to purchase the Seahawks, then serious government reform must also be in order! And if God created our planet, thus giving means for us to have capitalism, Paul Allen, Tod Leiweke, JS, PC, Cable, and both injured and newbie offensive linemen, then we clearly, positively, and absolutely must fire God Himself!!!!11

Or, you know, we could let these guys do their jobs and save the off-season talk for the off-season because we're 7-1 and happen to have the #1 seed with the greatest home-field advantage in the league.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Shock2k":20r49u8w said:
hIt feels like it's been since around 2005 since we've had a decent offensive line. This o-line story is so tired I think it's bringing about my next statement. Which would be Tom Cable? Is he the right guy for the job? Now to be fair he "coached" the 5th best rushing team last year.

But seriously, at the end of the day he's in charge of protection and there were NO adjustments last night for the Rams game.

Luck (Rams, Panthers, Texans) runs out eventually and the ball starts going the other way.

I get it, we are 7 and 1, including 4 of 5 on the road, which is exceptional... I just don't see us making a long playoff run, especially against the saints on the road right now (if we met them in the Playoffs and don't end up with home filed advantage through the playoffs) without a decent offensive line.

Too late in the Season to drop and grab another O-line coach, and honestly I don't think it's fair to judge him, I'm curious though to what other folks are thinking.

40% of our line is made of backups right now (specifically, one rookie and one guy playing out of position).

I don't think it's necessarily a coaching job that is causing our protection problems. I think it's a combination of inexperience (Unger is our most experienced guy, and he was drafted in '09), injury, and the fact that our line is made of guys who are better at run blocking than pass protection - which is by design.

In any case, even if the coaching was subpar last night (and it was), I don't think it gains the team anything to consider firing coaches midseason after a win.

ExperienceJones

Reaction score
slargent4ever":3eolni8b said:
ExperienceJones":3eolni8b said:

Who says anything about firing anyone in any of the posts above yours? I see the OP asks if Cable is the right guy for the job, and that is about the closest I see. Other than that, some people calling it like they see it. So who isn't relaxed? Are you liking what you are seeing out there?

Anyone who thought the Rams game was going to be a cakewalk needs to check themselves.

If you think Cable isn't the right guy for the job why would you keep him in that position? You're going to debate that he's not the right guy for the job but want him to retain his job?

This board is full of start this guy, fire that guy, we're so bad. 7-1 guys. Relax and weather the storm. Its the NFL and everyone comes to play. Get this stuff corrected in practice and get our guys healthy and back out there and we'll be alright.

slargent4ever

Reaction score
ExperienceJones":35mx1tbi said:
slargent4ever":35mx1tbi said:
ExperienceJones":35mx1tbi said:

Anyone who thought the Rams game was going to be a cakewalk needs to check themselves.

If you think Cable isn't the right guy for the job why would you keep him in that position? You're going to debate that he's not the right guy for the job but want him to retain his job?

This board is full of start this guy, fire that guy, we're so bad. 7-1 guys. Relax and weather the storm. Its the NFL and everyone comes to play. Get this stuff corrected in practice and get our guys healthy and back out there and we'll be alright.

Broseph, all I said was that I'm tired of Cable getting the scraps of draft picks and then asked to work miracles with them. Then people wonder why the line isn't performing. I never mentioned firing anyone. But, I wouldn't be sad to see Bev on the hot seat.

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
So basically it sounds like everyone thinks it's the tools, not the Carpenter (pun intended). I can't say I'm totally convinced, there are of course o-lines out there without pro bowl lineman that still keep their QB's protected in pass coverage (better then the 37% under pressure snaps Russell had last night). Is the contention that it has nothing to do with scheme? It's all on the o-line (I'm actually asking for an opinion here).

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the big difference in Russell Wilson's play last night. Based on last week it looks like the plan was to just fall when pressured instead of trying to escape. In the second half I was expecting them to let Russell loose like they did in the Texans game.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I don't blame Cable nearly as much as I blame Bevell. What is Cable supposed to do when Bevell is calling a freaking read option play on the 1 yard line by motioning Lynch back into the backfield? What is Cable supposed to do when Bevell dials up a play-action pass on his 6 yard line? And on and on and on.

80 of the 135 yards gained on offense last night came on an amazing play by Golden Tate. How is that NOT Bevell's fault?

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
You know, I've actually questioned whether Cable is the right guy or not a few times with friends and coworkers.

This is roughly two and a half years in a row where our o-line (for the most part) can run the ball, but can't pass block worth beans.

I don't know if we're somehow drafting guys who are completely incompetent in pass blocking, but can run block, or we have issues stemming from our coaching staff not being able to figure out an effective way to improve our pass blocking... Cable has been here since 2011, when our rushing attack started getting a lot better, but we've had one of the worst pass blocking o-lines in the league the last couple years.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":pcu8la2g said:
I don't blame Cable nearly as much as I blame Bevell. What is Cable supposed to do when Bevell is calling a freaking read option play on the 1 yard line by motioning Lynch back into the backfield? What is Cable supposed to do when Bevell dials up a play-action pass on his 6 yard line? And on and on and on.

80 of the 135 yards gained on offense last night came on an amazing play by Golden Tate. How is that NOT Bevell's fault?

Great point. I think the play calling last night was atrocious.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Issue isn't with the OL coach its with the OC. I think Bevell is outthinking himself this year. Too much bs.

ExperienceJones

Reaction score
slargent4ever":1l9pmtmb said:
ExperienceJones":1l9pmtmb said:
slargent4ever":1l9pmtmb said:
ExperienceJones":1l9pmtmb said:

Broseph, all I said was that I'm tired of Cable getting the scraps of draft picks and then asked to work miracles with them. Then people wonder why the line isn't performing. I never mentioned firing anyone. But, I wouldn't be sad to see Bev on the hot seat.

Gotcha. He is asked to do a lot.

I don't understand how Miller and/or Lynch/Mike Rob/Turbin weren't helping out more in the blocking game. It never seemed like anyone was even attempting to block other than the 5 O-Linemen. They obviously needed two guys to cover both Long and Quinn, but never seemed to even try that.

Frustrating night for sure.

hawk45

Reaction score
It's speculation obviously, but I don't think Cable is getting stuck with scraps from the draft. I think Schneider forms opinions on guys independently, but weighs heavily the preferences of Pete and company when drafting, so that Pete gets his "type" of guys, Cable gets his "type" of guys, etc.

We used high-ish draft picks on Carpenter and Moffit, and they haven't turned out great. I think it likely there was a lot of Cable input in those picks, because...why wouldn't there be? Drafting Sweezy to use him as a guard, Cable was heavily involved in that, going to NC State to scout him and decide whether that would work. Cable isn't just sitting in a deep dark hole with linemen being dropped on the poor guy with no warning.

Cable wants guys who can run-block, who cares if they can pass protect. I don't know that I want Cable fired, but I'd like to see the door to the draft room shut in his face.

Bevell also sucks for not doing anything to protect his QB, barely even acknowledging the beating Russell was taking even when it had been going on for 4 straight quarters.

Latest posts