It doesn't add up! (Athletic Article)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":2ainkyq4 said:
Uncle Si":2ainkyq4 said:
DomeHawk":2ainkyq4 said:
mrt144":2ainkyq4 said:
https://theathletic.com/994511/2019/05/31/not-adding-up-brian-schottenheimers-rule-of-53/

The article goes into the same kind of 'cart before horse' errors as we see specifically with the NFL and even more specifically with the Seahawks. Worth a read and even a subscription in my estimation. The Athletic does some really good work that compliments Fieldgulls and other Seahawks centric outlets and supplements our own thoughts here.

I know there are some soccer purists on the board who will vehemently disagree but after watching too much soccer it is my feeling that most soccer goals are the result of happy accidents. That is not to say that there aren't some spectacular plays on goal but that they are often the result of random, not planned, events.

As for whether we should pass more or not, we have the highest paid QB in the league, we should use every skill he possesses. And, that is not to say that we should go to a pass-happy offense, a balanced attack will always be the best offense when it sets the opposing defense on its heels. But that is predicated on the offense not only being balanced but less predictable.

What I AM saying is that we should have a passing attack that is capable of completing first downs and marching down the field when the opposing defense has stifled our running attack, e.g., the Cowboys' game. That, in turn, will open up the running game.

You're wrong.. unless you think points in hockey and basketball are also happy accidents.soccer is extremely managed and controlled but with a great deal of fluidity.

Football is far more deliberate. Planning is methodical as the game is not fluid. Everything is planned, scripted and surveyed.

Two different games and hard to find comparisons.

Soccer is also the best sport in the world, so comparisons are not fair to American football

Only in places that don't have American Football. If it were then Networks would be paying the billions a season in advertisement and Merchandise Money etc to have it air on Television.

Also the argument that Soccer is new to the USA is empty, they have been trying to introduce it successfully for 40 plus years now.

You clearly need to do a bit more research on how , and how many, Americans watch soccer (a British term by the way, quoting it as condescending fails to acknowledge it's origin).

It won't surpass football soon, but it is growing very quickly and will challenge it before you know it.

The same cannot really be said about American football elsewhere. It draws crowds in England, sure, but that's about it.

I love being a fan of both. I think Seahawks fans would really embrace the fan atmospheres at soccer games, if they tried it.

Back on topic, not sure there is much data points that could be used by both sports. Hell, even analyzing specific data outside basic statistics us fairly new and innovative in soccer

HawkGA

Reaction score
pmedic920":2kfhlc2o said:
[youtube]bjyqCqiMc0M[/youtube]

Could you imagine a football player faking an injury?

I mean, other than Joe Nash and Joe Nash's backup, of course! :irishdrinkers:

Tical21

Reaction score
Baldwin is a 1-trick hack that made a career out of saying the run doesn't matter. The 2018 Hawks (as well as the 12-15, and 16-17 Hawks) proved him wrong and now he's desperately trying to hang onto the one broken theory he knows.

Tical21

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1d7ioz2h said:
chris98251":1d7ioz2h said:
Uncle Si":1d7ioz2h said:
DomeHawk":1d7ioz2h said:
I know there are some soccer purists on the board who will vehemently disagree but after watching too much soccer it is my feeling that most soccer goals are the result of happy accidents. That is not to say that there aren't some spectacular plays on goal but that they are often the result of random, not planned, events.

As for whether we should pass more or not, we have the highest paid QB in the league, we should use every skill he possesses. And, that is not to say that we should go to a pass-happy offense, a balanced attack will always be the best offense when it sets the opposing defense on its heels. But that is predicated on the offense not only being balanced but less predictable.

What I AM saying is that we should have a passing attack that is capable of completing first downs and marching down the field when the opposing defense has stifled our running attack, e.g., the Cowboys' game. That, in turn, will open up the running game.

You're wrong.. unless you think points in hockey and basketball are also happy accidents.soccer is extremely managed and controlled but with a great deal of fluidity.

Football is far more deliberate. Planning is methodical as the game is not fluid. Everything is planned, scripted and surveyed.

Soccer is also the best sport in the world, so comparisons are not fair to American football

Only in places that don't have American Football. If it were then Networks would be paying the billions a season in advertisement and Merchandise Money etc to have it air on Television.

Also the argument that Soccer is new to the USA is empty, they have been trying to introduce it successfully for 40 plus years now.

You clearly need to do a bit more research on how , and how many, Americans watch soccer (a British term by the way, quoting it as condescending fails to acknowledge it's origin).

It won't surpass football soon, but it is growing very quickly and will challenge it before you know it.

The same cannot really be said about American football elsewhere. It draws crowds in England, sure, but that's about it.

I love being a fan of both. I think Seahawks fans would really embrace the fan atmospheres at soccer games, if they tried it.

Back on topic, not sure there is much data points that could be used by both sports. Hell, even analyzing specific data outside basic statistics us fairly new and innovative in soccer
Tbf, we have been hearing that soccer popularity has been growing in the US for 40 years. And it may grow, but will always be a distant 4th at best.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pmedic920":2og8qd9w said:
[youtube]bjyqCqiMc0M[/youtube]

Do you want to see thousands of hours of soccer players breaking bones, tearing ligaments, scarring themselves, concussions? Or even more hours of fantastic athletic display and unparalleled fan support?

Expand your mind a bit... or at least your argument.

And yeah, football players flop and fake injuries every week.

TreeRon

Reaction score

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tical21":2r9clfrk said:
Uncle Si":2r9clfrk said:
chris98251":2r9clfrk said:
Uncle Si":2r9clfrk said:

Tbf, we have been hearing that soccer popularity has been growing in the US for 40 years. And it may grow, but will always be a distant 4th at best.

It's a distant 2nd... not 4th. Soccers viewership is difficult to quantify as many fans watch virtually through streaming sites because their favorite teams are international.

That said, a mid-season PL game drew 15 million American viewers on NBC on Super Bowl Sunday two years ago. That doesn't include the streaming numbers.

Not worth debating, if you don't like it that's cool. It's just a bigger sport here than I think many realize.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TreeRon":2qkupoz0 said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligue_%C3%89lite_de_Football_Am%C3%A9ricain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Football_League

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Football_League

https://www.britishamericanfootball.org/find-a-club

To site a few examples

and it's even played at the university level :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_U ... all_League

When I was at Sterling Scotland I noted the university there played American Football.

I noted it's played elsewhere... ultimate frisbee is too. Hurling has leagues all over this country.

But different though.

And more to the topic, I don't see many similarities between the statistical analysis used in the two sports, only that they are used.

knownone

Reaction score
The parallels between the analysis of both sports is fair point to contrast; I just don't think the data is good enough to tell us anything. So drawing conclusions under the guise of superior math is not only wrong, it's kind of stupid.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
A few different things, which I'm going to bullet point, just for ease of reading:

*The basic gist of the article is that in the relationship between run plays + completions and winning, Schotty is confusing the cause for the effect and the effect for the cause. He thinks that the play distributions he wants causes winning but it's the reverse: winning causes the play distributions he's trying to target. Worth noting is that he's not alone in this, as Bill Belichick has made the same mistake in the past.

*The way you get around all of this cause and effect stuff is to look at expected-points-per play for running and passing, which is what people do. And the data on that is very clear: All things being equal pass plays are more effective than run plays. This is partially driven by innovations in passing attacks in the last 20 years, but also explains why almost all teams most of the time are now passing the ball much more than they used to.

*Ben Baldwin isn't an outlier on any of this, so going after him for this is kind of missing the point. Many, many people have studied this, and I'm unaware of anyone who has seriously studied it and not come to the same basic conclusion as Baldwin does.

*If you want to see the consequences of running so much on overall offensive effectiveness, the Seahawks are actually a great example. On a per-play basis last year the Seahawks had the 14th most effective offense in the NFL. That's very middle of the pack, but is only a problem because both in their passing attack AND in their running attack the Seahawks were actually really good. They had the #6 ranked passing attack AND the #6 ranked rushing attack. How do you end up with a Top 6 rushing attack AND passing attack but only end up middle of the pack for overall offensive attack? There's only one way: you're simply rushing the ball way too much and teams with inferior passing and rushing attacks are passing more than you and flying by you in overall offensive effectiveness.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Popeyejones":d7spxolr said:
A few different things, which I'm going to bullet point, just for ease of reading:

*The basic gist of the article is that in the relationship between run plays + completions and winning, Schotty is confusing the cause for the effect and the effect for the cause. He thinks that the play distributions he wants causes winning but it's the reverse: winning causes the play distributions he's trying to target. Worth noting is that he's not alone in this, as Bill Belichick has made the same mistake in the past.

*The way you get around all of this cause and effect stuff is to look at expected-points-per play for running and passing, which is what people do. And the data on that is very clear: All things being equal pass plays are more effective than run plays. This is partially driven by innovations in passing attacks in the last 20 years, but also explains why almost all teams most of the time are now passing the ball much more than they used to.

*Ben Baldwin isn't an outlier on any of this, so going after him for this is kind of missing the point. Many, many people have studied this, and I'm unaware of anyone who has seriously studied it and not come to the same basic conclusion as Baldwin does.

*If you want to see the consequences of running so much on overall offensive effectiveness, the Seahawks are actually a great example. On a per-play basis last year the Seahawks had the 14th most effective offense in the NFL. That's very middle of the pack, but is only a problem because both in their passing attack AND in their running attack the Seahawks were actually really good. They had the #6 ranked passing attack AND the #6 ranked rushing attack. How do you end up with a Top 6 rushing attack AND passing attack but only end up middle of the pack for overall offensive attack? There's only one way: you're simply rushing the ball way too much and teams with inferior passing and rushing attacks are passing more than you and flying by you in overall offensive effectiveness.

Thank you for the summary I couldn't bring myself to do. You nailed it!

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ze98397 said:
TreeRon":2ze98397 said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligue_%C3%89lite_de_Football_Am%C3%A9ricain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Football_League

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Football_League

https://www.britishamericanfootball.org/find-a-club

To site a few examples

and it's even played at the university level :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_U ... all_League

When I was at Sterling Scotland I noted the university there played American Football.

I noted it's played elsewhere... ultimate frisbee is too. Hurling has leagues all over this country.

But different though.

And more to the topic, I don't see many similarities between the statistical analysis used in the two sports, only that they are used.

It's more about the logic used to draw action plans. It's not about the discrete numbers but how you set up the framework that leads you to emphasizing something tactically over another.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
The ignorance regarding soccer insane. I hope some of you know that there are other countries in this world outside of the USA. It’s only played by the whole world and at a high level in a lot of countries.

It actually crowns a real “world” champion since the whole world can participate in it. Not just 1 country.

Lastly, If you think the game isn’t highly sponsored or loaded with insane money and sponsorships etc - that couldn’t be further from the truth.

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2o7xjydf said:

There is so much wrong here, if your scoring then your not getting more yards and completions, if your defense gives you short fields your offensive output will look worse then teams that have a bad defense and are passing and coming from behind.

Say what you will, only Statistic that matters is Win / Loss. Everything else can be skewed for one reason or another and people taking snap shots of one aspect and not add in the others which is a shit ton of data and variables are not getting and presenting the whole picture.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Enthusiastic Sounders fan, parent of two 4A all-state soccer playing daughters, one regional player of the year, both college all-conference players, past competitive club coach.

Seanhawk":1r73i0bu said:
Aggregate score, away goals, pfft.
OK, so you're ignorant on this topic. I admit: I was ignorant at first. A few seasons back, the LA Galaxy advanced in the playoffs over the Seattle Sounders, based on the away goals rule, even though the 2-game series was tied 1-1 and the aggregate score was I think 3-3 between the two teams. At the time it seemed arbitrary.
The short version is that these rules reward *attacking* exciting soccer, as opposed to boring bunker defense thuggery fests.
It's much more interesting to watch. As a road team, it's to your advantage to play to score, rather than bunkering. Games with scores of 3-2 are generally (but not always) more interesting to watch than a 0-0 tie. It's not so different than recent years NFL rule tweaks limiting DB contact with receivers to create more passing offense. It can take a couple layers of examining cause/effect to understand how away goals and aggregate score make playoff games more open and exciting, but truly, they do.

UK_Seahawk":1r73i0bu said:
Seeing a yank talk about "Soccer" is like watching them talk about culture. They are aware of it, the rest of the world likes it but they are so lacking in their own country they don't quite get it.
It's easy to lob insults, and try to pass oneself off as smug and superior. Are you an inferior NFL fan by "virtue" of your UK roots and cultural ties? Can you ever really "get" NFL football? I don't see how you're any less of a Seahawks fan than those of us who grew up in the Pacific NW as Seahawks fans. So let's dial back the unhelpful snobbery a bit. Wouldn't it be a better goal to help fans of all backgrounds grow in their understanding and appreciation of whatever game(s) they love as a fan? England has very little reason for football snobbery; the last men's World Cup win was 1966. I can appreciate great players like Michael Owen (so impressive as an 18 year old) without being from the UK, or, historically, underappreciated players like the amazing George Best. Even if (or because) he was Irish.

TreeRon":1r73i0bu said:
Comparing soccer strategy with football? Kind of like comparing cricket to baseball or formula 1 to drag racing. In other words not really.
As a coach and fan, I can assure you that soccer has plenty, plenty, of strategies, on par with pretty much any sport, and many in common with football, even if lower-level details differ greatly. A primary difference is that there are very limited timeouts; strategy and tactics adjustments are primarily made on the fly during continuous action.

I will grant that the soccer strategy comparison would be closest to basketball. Would you dispute that basketball has plenty of strategy, choices in the kinds of offenses and defenses a team plays, analyzing matchups for advantages to exploit, and so forth? Someone would dispute that only if they were very ignorant of basketball. For example, in 2005, the Seahawks had that dominant left side of the O-Line, with Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson. A clear matchup advantage and the stats for running over the left side showed it, IIRC. Basketball has matchup advantages and disadvantages to factor in. Soccer has all the same elements. The Sounders just brought back Joevin Jones, who is excellent on the left side, in getting the ball into the attack. Another commonality there, the front office acquiring players to match a team's style of play.

Are the detailed strategies and tactics across sports the same? No, they're different games. There are many strategy elements that cross nearly all team sports boundaries. What does our opponent do well, and how can we take that away? What do we do well, and how can we impose our strength on our opponent? How can we keep the working relationships and culture of our team at a high-performing level? Are many of the foundational principles and approaches highly similar, at the core, across sports? Pete Carroll would certainly say they are. Pete credits John Wooden (in addition to Bill Walsh) as one of his primary coaching mentors.

Now, back to the article. It would be reasonable to argue that misguided analytics approach has set back English soccer. The reason for that is taking the "findings" out of context. Like the "Vince Lombardi approach" to football coaching set American football coaching, and coaching in general, back a decade or two.IMO. The media and coaches glorified the whole Lombardi package, and he was great at many things, but not so much at other things. The media and many of that generation of coaches copied Lombardi's much of *syntax*, without understanding that he was successful because of his *substance* and despite much of his *syntax*, such as Lombardi's at-times abusive treatment of his players. Alabama college football coach Bear Bryant would deny his players water during grueling practices in 100 degree heat, because he thought it would "toughen them up".

Similarly, the context of the analysis, British soccer, in the often-muddy, rainy venues like Wembley stadium appear to be the "context" for the analytics. Plug in different environment and playing conditions, and the efficacy of strategies suggested by those analytics, *surprise*, can change quite a bit, as the assumptions they are based on change. For example, this year's Apple Cup, featuring Mike Leach's "Air Raid" offense, was played in a snowstorm. The UW Husky defense pretty much grounded the Air Raid that day, and the snowy field conditions and poor footing, not to mention poor visibility, took away many advantages of the passing game. The better *running* team won that day.

As a youth basketball coach, of 8 and 9 year olds, many new to basketball, my primary "analytic" was based around getting up a potentially makeable shot before a turnover could occur. So that argued for a fastbreak style, simple plays with short passing sequences leading to a shot, and working within the overall constraints of the setting and the players skill levels. It dictated the sequence of, and time spent on, working on different skills in practices. Contrast that to say, the Princeton-style offense used by some college teams, that involves extended passing sequences, and patiently waits for a mental lapse in the opponent's defense to exploit for an easy basket, often towards the end of the shot clock. The assumptions and environments are quite different.

Pete and his coaching staff have their strategies they are committed to, many based on analytics, but many more based on firsthand knowledge and deep understanding of the game, and it's fun to watch them, more fun when they are successful. Seeing a Pete Carroll Seahawks team get the ball back with a lead and 5 minutes left in the game, and run out the clock with a pounding run offense, against an exhausted opposing defense, is a thing of beauty. Seeing a Seahawks team repeated go 3 and out, run, run, pass, is not so much a thing of beauty. As a fan and coach, I love seeing Pete and his coaching staff work Pete's strategy, and make adjustments (usually) based on what is working and what's not. Like all coaches, Pete on occasion gets into trouble when he fails to recognize that a given strategy or set of tactics is failing on a given day against a given opponent, and fails to switch to another approach with (we hope) a better chance for success. The Cowboys playoff loss this year comes to mind.

knownone

Reaction score
Popeyejones":37vzyx08 said:

The data doesn't really support their conclusion that running is bad. It only shows us what happened. It doesn't tell us why it happened. In other words, the data is domain specific but the domain it covers doesn't exist outside of a rigidly organized construct. It has very little applicable transfer to predicting real world success.

It's a tricky concept because non-linearities are hard thing to wrap your head around. People see that two variables are casually linked and assume that a consistent input in one variable will provide a predictable result, but that's not how complex system works.

Tical21

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3359cw0r said:
Tical21":3359cw0r said:
Uncle Si":3359cw0r said:
chris98251":3359cw0r said:

It's a distant 2nd... not 4th. Soccers viewership is difficult to quantify as many fans watch virtually through streaming sites because their favorite teams are international.

That said, a mid-season PL game drew 15 million American viewers on NBC on Super Bowl Sunday two years ago. That doesn't include the streaming numbers.

Not worth debating, if you don't like it that's cool. It's just a bigger sport here than I think many realize.
In the most-watched contest of last season, about 1.72 million across all platforms saw Manchester United’s 3-2 defeat of Manchester City on April 7.

Tical21

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1i8omiwm said:

EPA is shite. It isn't an efficiency metric. You aren't trying to score a touchdown on every play. Its skewed towards being clutch. DVOA is a far better efficiency metric.

Russell had by far his best year, the Seahawks had an outstanding year despite mediocre talent, and everyone wont stop saying they should have passed more. Its unbelievable really. It's like nobody watched any of the past three seasons.

Baldwin skews all his stats to match his narrative. Omitting 4th quarter and 4th down runs? Wtf is that? I can make stats look how I want too.

Theres no correlation between running success and play-action success, except Russ was far more efficient and completed at a 3% higher rate last year than the previous two. That's where the "no correlation" crowd goes silent and goes back to try to skew their spreadshseets.

Tical21

Reaction score
Tical21":xirfpq4a said:
Uncle Si":xirfpq4a said:
Tical21":xirfpq4a said:
Uncle Si":xirfpq4a said:

In the most-watched contest of last season, about 1.72 million across all platforms saw Manchester United’s 3-2 defeat of Manchester City on April 7.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/worldsocce ... story/amp/

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":jia6qrol said:

I don't believe that, I think there are just more soccer fans here who attend games. Attendance figures skew the actual interest. Give me some television ratings.

I gotta give you kudos for your perseverance though Si, lol.

https://awfulannouncing.com/soccer/no-q ... tings.html