It took PC 6 years to figure out his D scheme...

renofox

Reaction score
By 2015, most of the NFL had figured out Pete's D.

Every year started worse than before, to the point the Seahawks were starting the year (2020 and 2021) with all time historically bad defensive play.

Finally, for.the 2022 season, PC realized he had to completely overhaul his defense and chose to design and implement an entirely new variation of the 3-4.

I only hope it doesn't take another 6 years to throw this entire thing (including the coaching staff) in the trash and start over.

Polk738

Reaction score

Every year started worse than before, to the point the Seahawks were starting the year (2020 and 2021) with all time historically bad defensive play.

Finally, for.the 2022 season, PC realized he had to completely overhaul his defense and chose to design and implement an entirely new variation of the 3-4.

I only hope it doesn't take another 6 years to throw this entire thing (including the coaching staff) in the trash and start over.

I'm not sure there was anything to every really "figure out"...the scheme he had wasn't complicated, if anything it was incredibly simple to run, they never disguised anything, he just had amazing players at all levels and everyone was really good at what they did. Pete pretty much just ran a a 4-3 under with 3-4 personnel with mostly a Cover 3 base, it wasn't a complicated scheme.

-Earl Thomas at the time was probably the fastest FS in the league, he could easily cover side line to side line which allowed them to play 8 in the box a lot of times with Kam.
-guys like Mebane, Red Bryant, Bennett, Clemons, Avril, McDaniel were great on the D-line.
-Bobby and KJ were probably the best 4-3 linebacking duo in the league for years
-Sherm was Sherm and QBs didn't like throwing in his direction.

-bottom line is anybody could've coached that defense and looked like a genius, it was the players that made it great not necessarily the scheme, KJ Wright has even said this in his podcast, the best scheme won't overcome a lack of talent which this team is very devoid of in certain positions.

Fade

Reaction score

As I've been saying, no change is coming, until he is removed from the defense itself. Whether it be as a figurehead, moved to the front office, retired, or fired.

This is Pete's defense and this is what you get with continued "yes" man hires.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

It was more like 2017. In 2016 and 2015 we still had the number one scoring defense and a top 10 defense in those years.

knownone

Reaction score
The issue is talent related. We're relying on two 35-year-olds at critical positions along the front seven. Our defensive tackles and ends are dreadful. Nwosu is an elite edge rusher that's average against the run. And the rest of our linebackers are undersized or inexperienced.

There is a reason we haven't had an average defense since we traded Frank Clark. We don't have a single difference-maker in the run game besides Al Woods. And our inability to stop the run is minimizing the only relative strength we have on defense, which is pass defense.