It's not too late

Jerhawk

Reaction score
It's not too late to go 7-10. The chance of still getting a top 10 pick with our own is still there, meaning two top 10 picks.

We can then use these picks to bolster the front 7.

This would also mean two picks in the top 45.

Have faith people. If we can collectively come together to lose out, we can control this draft and build a fearsome defense for the future.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I’d honestly would much rather lose out than win a few more times for nothing.

Since this is a rebuilding year, Seattle needs a high draft pick.

And both high draft picks (hopefully Seattle is a top 10 pick) should be used on defensive lineman.

Seattle defensive line is the worst unit in the league right now and is not even competitive.

Winning one or two more games, only lessens the chances of getting a top 10 pick.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd rather push for a playoff spot than tank for the #14 pick vs the #20 pick, which we'd probably trade down anyway.

Because a playoff spot means we turned things around a little down the stretch and beat some good teams, which also means momentum going into next year with some questions answered about the QB and other personnel going into the draft.

Losing out and getting a better draft pick means Geno and others stunk down the stretch, which opens up a LOT of question marks and changes draft decisions.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Additionally, I'm open to Carroll starting Drew Lock down the stretch to see what we have there. The team knows what they're getting with Geno.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'd rather push for a playoff spot than tank for the #14 pick vs the #20 pick, which we'd probably trade down anyway.

Because a playoff spot means we turned things around a little down the stretch and beat some good teams, which also means momentum going into next year with some questions answered about the QB and other personnel going into the draft.

Losing out and getting a better draft pick means Geno and others stunk down the stretch, which opens up a LOT of question marks and changes draft decisions.
I might be alone but I still think John is going to heavily consider QB with the early Denver pick if he finds his next guy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I might be alone but I still think John is going to heavily consider QB with the early Denver pick if he finds his next guy.

Oh man, I sure hope not. Not with how desperate this front seven is for playmakers and bullies.

Look no further than the success hit rate on top 10 QB's taken in the last decade or so. It's not good. Burrow has been the only sure fire hit, and maybe Tua. But that's it.

This is a once in a decade + opportunity to draft a REAL difference maker. I sure hope we don't gamble on a young QB. Sure, if there's one Pete and John like later in the 1st or 2nd? Like Richardson out of Florida? I'm fine with that.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score

I also agree with you, Sgt. a playoff push would do that but, Seattle, wouldn’t make any noise in playoffs.

We have seen this before, just “good enough” to maybe sneak in playoffs but nowhere near good enough to steadily advance.

A playoff push also means picking in the 20s again. Every draft there are only a few dominant defensive lineman and Seattle this season can possibly snag two great defensive lineman to build around for the next decade.

Losing out on that seems like Seattle would be spinning its wheels all over again like it has been for the past 8 years or so. Seattle has not been great on the defensive line for a long time.

Sometimes you need to restack the deck with blue chip players to rebuild the line.

San Fran has some bad years and grabbed Nick Bosa, Steelers TJ Watt, Jets Quinnen Williams, Chiefs Chris Jones, Tampa Bay Vita Vea.

I get it, the draft is a crap shoot but I still want that chance to get a Top 10 defensive lineman and see how that plays out than grab someone in the 20s that isn’t as highly polished immediately.

I want to try something different with a two top 10 defensive lineman and not be the laughing stock of the NFL on run defense and be able to get to opposing QBs.

Seattle’s defensive line wouldn’t do anything in playoffs anyways. Seattle would be more so “frauds” than the real deal actually have a chance at an actual deep run.

massari

Reaction score
Oh man, I sure hope not. Not with how desperate this front seven is for playmakers and bullies.

Look no further than the success hit rate on top 10 QB's taken in the last decade or so. It's not good. Burrow has been the only sure fire hit, and maybe Tua. But that's it.

This is a once in a decade + opportunity to draft a REAL difference maker. I sure hope we don't gamble on a young QB. Sure, if there's one Pete and John like later in the 1st or 2nd? Like Richardson out of Florida? I'm fine with that.
I imagine some Chiefs fans held the same view when they drafted Mahomes @#10 when they already had Alex Smith at QB. It's not like other positions are a 100% lock to pan out.

When and where do you suggest they draft a QB? Or do you wait until Geno fizzles out before doing so?

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I'm sure they'll consider it. If they were willing to ship out pre-decline Wilson for both Josh Allen and Mahomes, then I'm sure they'll consider this if they see a must-have. However, it'll just be another QB with a bad defense again for a few years. Re-signing Geno should be a priority and that lets them have the free rein to go D heavy with early picks and get the QBotF in a later draft.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sometimes you need to restack the deck with blue chip players to rebuild the line.

How would we be restacking the deck with only improving our draft position maybe 4-5 spots by losing out vs winning another couple of games, which is the realistic record at this point?

You guys are acting like losing out gives us a top 10 pick, which it probably won't. So again, the difference between picking at 12 or 13 vs 20, etc. isn't worth the other cans of worms losing out would open up.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
How would we be restacking the deck with only improving our draft position maybe 4-5 spots by losing out vs winning another couple of games, which is the realistic record at this point?

You guys are acting like losing out gives us a top 10 pick, which it probably won't. So again, the difference between picking at 12 or 13 vs 20, etc. isn't worth the other cans of worms losing out would open up.
I’m saying if losing out Seattle gets a top 10 pick, yes, do it, but if they do not, then go ahead and try to win some games, but two top 10 picks is something Seattle can desperately use.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
When and where do you suggest they draft a QB? Or do you wait until Geno fizzles out before doing so?

You know who else was drafted around #10 the past decade?

Justin Field
Desmond Ridder
Mac Jones
Dwayne Haskins
Josh Rosen
EJ Manuel
Ryan Tannahill
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert

You guys keep assuming it'll be another Mahomes, when we all know the percentages of this are extremely low. More likely it'd be another Rosen, Haskins or Tannahill.

But I do trust Schneider, if he identifies a QB he's completely in love with? Then I guess I'll have to trust him.

IMO Geno's proven he can run this offense efficiently and score points to win games, IF like most QB's he has a good run game and defense. Doesn't mean we shouldn't draft a QB next year, but gamble the #2 or #3 pick on one that even if halfway decent wouldn't be ready to do what Geno's doing THIS year for 2-3 years?

Eh, idk man.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Ok Spohawks, if THIS team wins out this year, I'll buy you a 6 pack of your favorite beer. No chance in hell they win out. But hey, that would be amaze balls if they did.
But then again, I will get accused of saying this as "fact"
It's just an opinion, just a strong one :ROFLMAO:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I’m saying if losing out Seattle gets a top 10 pick, yes, do it, but if they do not, then go ahead and try to win some games, but two top 10 picks is something Seattle can desperately use.

What if it's the 12th, 13th or 14th pick?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score

If addressing the defensive line is your #1 priority you would be better off drafting a QB with the first pick and spending the $35M in cap savings on known quality veteran players. Just saying.

Also, it's worth saying that the hit rate on early 1st round quarterback will be negatively impacted due to the fact the majority are drafted on bad teams caused by poor management, poor drafting, and poor coaching. Seattle doesn't fall into this group and recently draft insider knowledge suggest the front office knows which quarterback is worth taking high.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If addressing the defensive line is your #1 priority you would be better off drafting a QB with the first pick and spending the $35M in cap savings on known quality veteran players. Just saying.

Also, it's worth saying that the hit rate on early 1st round quarterback will be negatively impacted due to the fact the majority are drafted on bad teams caused by poor management, poor drafting, and poor coaching. Seattle doesn't fall into this group and recently draft insider knowledge suggest the front office knows which quarterback is worth taking high.

I've got news for you, if you took Geno off this team this year and replaced him with a rookie QB? We are a bad team.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
What if it's the 12th, 13th or 14th pick?
Interesting scenario.

If this means beating the Niners on Thursday, and really pounding them, as in making a statement, then yes, I would take the 12th pick or so.

But if Seattle narrowly beats the Cardinals (not much to celebrate) or the Rams (not a great team now) then a win against those two teams don’t weigh as heavy as beating the Niners.

Latest posts