Jackson beats Sherman, er or Kam...?

SHOCKER315

Reaction score
For what its worth.. (not much)... I played cornerback in college. They are in cover 3. The 4 verts (all go) is the standard cover 3 beater employed by every offense at all levels. It 4 wr's vs 3 deep db's.

Like Denver, WAS added the extra wrinkle of crossing the vertical routes to create some hesitation/confusion with the Db's. Its a long developing route concept, and the defense is counting on pressure to force a quicker underneath throw. The QB avoiding pressure is what made the play possible.

When the QB has time... its a tough cover for the db's. With that said, Sherman played it incorrectly. His job is to stay wide and cover outside third... and by his outside position force the seam throw where most of the help is. Once the QB's commits to the seam throw... only then he can break inside and go for the pick or kill shot . Instead, he over-anticipates the seam throw before the QB commits leaving his responsibility uncovered.

Sherman explains how to do play it correctly at 4:10 of this vid. "Play it 80/20 to the outside." -RS

[youtube]Va29YFkchXo[/youtube]

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3crlxrw1 said:
StoneCold":3crlxrw1 said:
Hawknballs":3crlxrw1 said:
the first long pass beat the scheme and play call, hitting the hole in the zone exchange at the right time. Attribute it to good coaching and a nice throw.

the second was simply an excellent throw and catch.

as the cliché says, there is no defense for the perfect pass. Cousins doesn't suck and neither does DeSean Jackson.

Instead of focusing on those two plays, focus on the fact that aside from those two plays they really didn't do anything else, rushing for 32 yards.

Why should we not focus on this play? For the Hawks it's a man bites dog story. It doesn't happen very often and I'm looking at this play as an opportunity to learn, not to assign blame or freak out.

SC

how exactly is a message board fan scrutinizing this play and learning from it possibly going to help the seahawks win?

Not sure what your point is. That's not my goal. Nothing discussed on this board is going to help the Hawks win. This is for our/my own enjoyment of the game. It's an interesting play to dissect. If you don't want to you don't have to.

SC

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm a little defensive after seeing all the 'sky is falling' posts because we only won a cross country road game by two scores and over-reacted, totally valid convo and shocker summarized the breakdown nicely. Gruden alluded to it during the game as well but didn't get too deep into it. Basically Sherman gambled too far to the inside and lost.

Cheers and please excuse my crankiness.

:thirishdrinkers:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just listen to local radio, it's enough to make you want to :pukeface:
This fanbase is getting beyond ridiculous w/how spoiled they are. Whining about HOW you win a game makes zero sense.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2mub2c0r said:
Sorry, I'm a little defensive after seeing all the 'sky is falling' posts because we only won a cross country road game by two scores and over-reacted, totally valid convo and shocker summarized the breakdown nicely. Gruden alluded to it during the game as well but didn't get too deep into it. Basically Sherman gambled too far to the inside and lost.

Cheers and please excuse my crankiness.

:thirishdrinkers:

Cheers and no problem. I don't understand the whining and hand ringing either. I think people forget that many games last year were close. I think peoples expectations are a bit out of whack and in no small part because we crushed Denver in the SB.

SC

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2jghkluo said:
HawkFan72":2jghkluo said:
Sgt. Largent":2jghkluo said:
Someone said, maybe it was Sherman that it was just a bad scheme against that sort of play.

Sherman had to peel off to follow the middle receiver, and that left Kam one on one with the fastest WR in the league. NOT a good scheme.

So technically I guess it was Kam's fault, that was his assignment on that play. But you don't put your defenders in that position who can't make the play, so I blame Bradley for calling that coverage.

Poor Gus. He gets the blame for the Seahawks' bad D even when he's coaching the Jaguars.

LOL, old habits die hard!

In your defense, that did look like a Bradley-coached secondary on that play. Feel like we had a few too many of those when he was the Coordinator.

getnasty

Reaction score
Yeah if Sherm stays outside and Cousins throws the seam route, i'd bet my last dollar Earl makes a play and there is no completion.

Laloosh

Reaction score
SHOCKER315":3uip0mcv said:
For what its worth.. (not much)... I played cornerback in college. They are in cover 3. The 4 verts (all go) is the standard cover 3 beater employed by every offense at all levels. It 4 wr's vs 3 deep db's.

Like Denver, WAS added the extra wrinkle of crossing the vertical routes to create some hesitation/confusion with the Db's. Its a long developing route concept, and the defense is counting on pressure to force a quicker underneath throw. The QB avoiding pressure is what made the play possible.

When the QB has time... its a tough cover for the db's. With that said, Sherman played it incorrectly. His job is to stay wide and cover outside third... and by his outside position force the seam throw where most of the help is. Once the QB's commits to the seam throw... only then he can break inside and go for the pick or kill shot . Instead, he over-anticipates the seam throw before the QB commits leaving his responsibility uncovered.

Sherman explains how to do play it correctly at 4:10 of this vid. "Play it 80/20 to the outside." -RS

[youtube]Va29YFkchXo[/youtube]

That's the video that I was trying to find after the Denver game. Wonder if Jackson's speed allowed him to get into that route later in the play, with Sherm having committed to the guy running the seam...

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SHOCKER315":3man73n1 said:
With that said, Sherman played it incorrectly. His job is to stay wide and cover outside third... and by his outside position force the seam throw where most of the help is. Once the QB's commits to the seam throw... only then he can break inside and go for the pick or kill shot . Instead, he over-anticipates the seam throw before the QB commits leaving his responsibility uncovered.

Seems impossible to really say without knowing what Sherman was coached to do. Some comments I've heard suggest to me that he was instructed to sit on the seam route. If WAS has seen any tape, then they probably anticipated Sherman switching sooner to the outside 1/3 (and thus Cousins might avoid that area out of pure instinct). But as you said, this is all reliant on Seattle's pressure getting home. If Cousins has time to survey the field, then it probably doesn't work.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DavidSeven":106py4i7 said:
SHOCKER315":106py4i7 said:
With that said, Sherman played it incorrectly. His job is to stay wide and cover outside third... and by his outside position force the seam throw where most of the help is. Once the QB's commits to the seam throw... only then he can break inside and go for the pick or kill shot . Instead, he over-anticipates the seam throw before the QB commits leaving his responsibility uncovered.

Seems impossible to really say without knowing what Sherman was coached to do. Some comments I've heard suggest to me that he was instructed to sit on the seam route. If WAS has seen any tape, then they probably anticipated Sherman switching sooner to the outside 1/3 (and thus Cousins might avoid that area out of pure instinct). But as you said, this is all reliant on Seattle's pressure getting home. If Cousins has time to survey the field, then it probably doesn't work.

Coaching Sherman to make the mistake that this route combo is designed to make CBs make in the Cover 3 would be really, really strange. Sherman just cheated and lost. It happens.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Message boards are an amazing place. There can be pure facts about any subject essentially equating to 2+2=4 and yet there are always a large share who will say, "Nah, it kinda looks like it equals 5." :th2thumbs:

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
They just ran 4 deep with Jackson running the slowly developing wheel route. What you see is that Jackson is split close, cuts to the outside and Sherman reads a 10 yard out and drifts toward the seam guy. Once Sherman's eyes move inside, Jackson cuts upfield. On the opposite side there are two go routes occupying Thomas and Maxwell. It was a little lucky for the Redskins with how perfectly timed it was. Sherman made a good read but the play call was simply perfect. It happens.