Have teams figured out how to expose our Zone Defense?

Tokadub

Reaction score
So it seems to me after re-watching the Redskins game last night that our Zone Defense is really having some trouble stopping the passing game. That would help to explain why our defense is currently ranked 22nd in Opposing Passing Yards. (255.5 passing yards per game against us). Last year we were #1 in this stat, so it doesn't seem like a fluke to me, something has changed.

Right now in chronological order the opposing QB's have been put up these stats:

Passer Rating:

81.5 + 124.2 + 85.7 + 102 = 393.4 Total Passer Rating
393.4 Total Passer Rating / 4 Games = 98.35 Passer Rating Average

So we are on average giving up a Passer Rating of 98.35

I don't have the stats for last year, but it seems like a no-brainer that this is a HUGE decline for our Defense.

A 98.4 Passer Rating would rank a QB as #9th in the league THIS SEASON.

A 98.4 Passer Rating would rank a QB as #8th in the league LAST SEASON.

We have also given up 8 Passing Touchdowns compared to only 2 Interceptions?!

That's nearly as good as Russell Wilson so far (8 TD / 1 INT).

In chronological order the opposing QB's have been put up these stats:

Total Completions:

22 + 28 + 31 + 21 = 102 Total Completions

Total Attempts:

33 + 37 + 49 + 36 = 155 Total Attempts

Total Completion Percentage:

102 Total Completions / 155 Total Attempts = 65.8% Total Completion Percentage

A 65.8% Completion Percentage would rank a QB as #14th in the league THIS SEASON.

A 65.8% Completion Percentage would rank a QB as #7th in the league LAST SEASON.

So there's the basic stats presented for you. I realize that we have faced 3 great QB's so far this season, but even Kirk Cousins put up 283 Passing Yards on us last night.

If we averaged giving up 283 Passing Yards per game we would be 4th worst in the league. Right now we are 11th worst in the league:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/t...singYardsPerGame/position/defense/order/false

My Question:

Have teams figured out how to expose our Zone Defense? It seems like we are getting consistently bad match ups where our defenders are switching coverage and getting beat.

Denver did it to us multiple times on the same drive. The Chargers did it to us all game.

And we saw it once again last night as we had Kam Chancellor defending DeSean Jackson on multiple deep passing plays. Shouldn't that never happen?

I'm not an expert at all about defensive formations and schemes which is why I'm posting this because I truly want to hear what people think about this.

Here's a visual example I made with some screenshots:

Seahawks_VS_Redskins_Zone_1b.png

Seahawks_VS_Redskins_Zone_1c.png

Seahawks_VS_Redskins_Zone_1d.png

Seahawks_VS_Redskins_Zone_1e.png

Seahawks_VS_Redskins_Zone_1f.png

Seahawks_VS_Redskins_Zone_1g.png

So there it is, to me it appears that our Zone Defense failed to properly read the play, Sherman should of stayed on DeSean Jackson and Chancellor should of took the man Sherman ended up defending. That is my interpretation, but feel free to add your thoughts here.

It's possible Earl Thomas could of covered 1 or maybe even 2 of the 3 receivers that appear to be wide open (I think you can barely see something pink back there), but he had no chance on DeSean Jackson here.

Conclusion:

It seems like with the new rules emphasis on the defensive holding our defense is playing a lot more zone instead of the dominant man to man they did so well last season when they were allowed to be more physical.

This seems like a play that Sherman clearly should of been on DeSean Jackson the whole time but instead was forced to cover the middle of the field.

If I had more time I'm sure I could come up with literally dozens of picture sequences which illustrate this same exact fundamental problem. Our Zone Defense is getting exposed, our guys are confused, out of position, and they have no chance to make the play. Opposing teams offensive coordinators seem to have figured out how to create mismatches for their receivers and giant gaping holes in our coverage.

Not trying to cause everyone to "freak out" but this is the trend I am seeing with our defense and it's the main cause for us giving up 255 passing yards per game, losing to the Chargers, getting horribly burned in a 1 minute drive by Denver, etc. etc.

It seems to me our coaches have some real work to do to correct this zone defense, either our guys aren't reading it right or it simply doesn't work.

The more I watch our Offensive Line it seems like a lot of our worst plays occur when our guys fail to correctly read the play in their zone blocking scheme. This often times leaves the opposing pass rushers to be wide open and making our guys look foolish like they aren't blocking anyone.

Anyone have more thoughts on this? I'm analyzing it the best I can but I don't have any specific knowledge about defensive schemes although I think I can understand it decently if I analyze it.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I would not say they have figured the team, but Burley's playing a lot and I think they want to help him out. The big difference I noticed is they are not using the five yards at the line this season

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
It all starts with consistent pressure on the QB, which we have not had this season.

Granted, we played three of the best QBs in the game...who are all adept at dodging the rush and getting the ball out quickly.

I think if we get the pass rush cranked up, it will help the whole defense and the other areas they are struggling with - like forcing turnovers. It would be nice if Cliff Avril would make an appearance.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Good post and I agree, Chancellor seemed to be the one who screwed up that coverage and forced Sherman to switch. If Kam covers his guy and Sherm covers Jackson, Cousins has to throw to the other side of the field. But that would infer man coverage, not zone. I don't know what their assignments were, but if they were carrying out their assignments correctly for that zone coverage, then yes, Washington definitely exploited it.

hawk45

Reaction score
Rivers had his way in the heat, but none of the other QBs have killed us. I agree the slight downturn in pass rush and the inexplicable failure to hang on to INTs and fumbles are making us look a bit worse, but the latter two will even out.

Our D is fine, and the improved offense with Harvin out there more than makes up for it. I consider us a better team all things considered, last year we'd have killed for an offense who could put up points when necessary to get it done and this year we have that.

Just my take.

I also think that on the Jackson TD it reminded me of when Harvin sucked the defender onto him in preseason vs. San Diego and Miller was wide open. Jackson can maybe expose a small hole there, but we stopped everyone else and held them to 17, no strain. Pick up some of those fumbles and INTs and we're sitting pretty.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Again, that's the scissors play concept and Kam was not responsible for Desean as the robber who played up on the play. Sherman took the bait on the inside guy, like Max two weeks prior. The corner needs to hand that off faster.

Tical21

Reaction score
Cover 3 defense. Sherman has the deep outside third of the field. Thomas has the deep middle. Kam is going to the flat. There is no "switch." Kam doesn't "have" anybody. Sherman didn't "switch" off of anybody.

When Niles goes to the inside, Sherman needs to pass him off to Thomas, who is there waiting for him, and resume his job of taking the outside deep zone. Sherman fails to pass the receiver off to Thomas and loses track of Jackson.

Kam has the flat. Since there are no receivers in the flat, he tries to carry Jackson up the field, which is obviously a race he will never win.

Did we not learn anything from the Broncos game? This is the same route against the same coverage that they converted the TD on, as well as the big pass the play before.

This is not a man-to-man. This is a zone. Sherman flat-out blew his coverage and was not in his proper zone.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
We've only ran cover 3, predominantly anyway, for nearly half a decade now.

Kam's responsibility on that play wad no where near the deep sideline.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Regarding the screen shots, looked like earl was playing more to maxwells side, leaving Sherm and Kam to play the other two routes. Usually you'll see earl play closer to the middle of the field so he can help on that seam route. Left Sherm to play the seam and his deep third... Or so it seems to me.

Earl hustled over to help on the seam but it was too late for Sherm to switch to the outside.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Tical21":1r7tba5f said:
Cover 3 defense. Sherman has the deep outside third of the field. Thomas has the deep middle. Kam is going to the flat. There is no "switch." Kam doesn't "have" anybody. Sherman didn't "switch" off of anybody.

When Niles goes to the inside, Sherman needs to pass him off to Thomas, who is there waiting for him, and resume his job of taking the outside deep zone. Sherman fails to pass the receiver off to Thomas and loses track of Jackson.

Kam has the flat. Since there are no receivers in the flat, he tries to carry Jackson up the field, which is obviously a race he will never win.

Did we not learn anything from the Broncos game? This is the same route against the same coverage that they converted the TD on, as well as the big pass the play before.

This is not a man-to-man. This is a zone. Sherman flat-out blew his coverage and was not in his proper zone.

100% agreed. From the second and third screenshots that's definitely cover 3, and on Sherman.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I've heard a couple different NFL guys talk about this since the end of the Denver game and again this morning. The consensus answer is yes and no. The hole in the zone is there but it takes time to develop so most teams cant afford to go there too often or the QB is going to take some hits. Our pass rush is not as fearsome when rushing 4 or less this season but we are still covering the run so teams are going to risk it. We may need to blitz more often to counter.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
They ran 4 deep with 3 go routes and a wheel. They just executed the play well and the timing and execution has to be absolutely perfect for it to be the zone. If Jackson cuts off his wheel too soon, Sherman would see it. Too late and Sherman can recover. Plays to beat the cover 3 have been around forever, you just need the time to throw it.

Sealake80

Reaction score
I figure maybe Kam read the play and guessed it was a quick pass to Jackson and Kam was ready to knock the hell out of Jackson. Sherman covering best as he could. Is that crazy?

endzorn

Reaction score
I'm especially concerned that teams will find out that playing a great quarterback against us will lead to yards and sometimes points. As far as last night, I'm concerned that teams will find out that a Pro Bowl receiver with world class speed can exploit certain match ups.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Laloosh":39d98uv2 said:
Regarding the screen shots, looked like earl was playing more to maxwells side, leaving Sherm and Kam to play the other two routes. Usually you'll see earl play closer to the middle of the field so he can help on that seam route. Left Sherm to play the seam and his deep third... Or so it seems to me.

Earl hustled over to help on the seam but it was too late for Sherm to switch to the outside.

This is what it looked like to me as well.. and had Sherm not cheated over towards Paul and stayed in his zone.. well guess what? Niles Paul is wide open.

So really.. everything kind of went awry on that play, and any time you have DeSean Jackson matched up on a safety.. you're going to have a bad time.

That said, I'm not at all concerned about our defense.. they played arguably the two best QB's in football and Philip Rivers in a sweltering heat.. I think they get the interceptions rolling here in the next few games.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Re: the play in the screen shots. Sherman said it is a coverage they dont use very often. There was a breakdown as the players didnt know the play as well as they should have.

A few things, in my opinion, are contributing to the statistical slide of the LOB this season.

1) We killed Denver in the Super Bowl, but also a blue print was drawn, and reinforced in the Charger game. If you stick with the underneath stuff and are patient with it, you can move the ball against our scheme. Teams are used to using the underneath stuff to set up the longer stuff, and when they do, they burned. But they just arent throwing long much. Obviously the DeSean Jackson catches were exceptions, but generally teams are trying to just throw 6 yard passes all day.

2) The new rules have meant we are playing different. Even inside 5 yards there is less contact as the coaching staff probably are worried about penalties being called. You simply cant cover the same as last year.

3) The talent level isnt there. Maxwell is good but not great. Burley is new in the system, though Im glad they finally went against type and got a smaller guy for inside. Lane and Simon are hurt, and Im not really sure Simon is LOB worthy anyway.

I fear this past offseason we may have been a bit complacent. I didnt see them going after as many unorthodox types as before, I dont see the next wave of "Money Ball"ish defenders.

Anyway, like has been said, 3 of our first 4 games were against great , great QBs.. maybe we pick up as the season goes on but I think we need to get used to the idea that the rules and maybe more so, the coaches response to the rules means our coverage wont be like last year.

marko358

Reaction score
Vetamur":315f91ou said:
2) The new rules have meant we are playing different. Even inside 5 yards there is less contact as the coaching staff probably are worried about penalties being called. You simply cant cover the same as last year.

We have played virtually no press this year if I'm not mistaken. That can't be because we think we might get called for more penalties.

C-HAWK84

Reaction score
They play in question is a bait and switch zone. Cam and sherm position them selves to make djax look out of the question deep thus making rhe middle look like the better option (thats the bait). Then sherm comes off to cover the flat while cam hangs back just incase (the switch). This wouldve worked great but Cousins breaks free and extended the play and that allowed djax to get down field. It wouldve been a likely int or atleast a pass deflected if rushers had gotten to/contained cousins. It's really a good design but it is entirely dependant on rushing the qb. They've done it a few times actually. Jeremy Lane has better speed than burly so Denver was able to exploit it in that game. If we get Lane back soon at full strength, I'm pretty sure the secondary will go back to a top rank pass defense.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
the main thing ive noticed is we are not being NEARLY as physical this season as a secondary. we've changed our mentality and we aren't playing bump and run very much any more. pressing receivers effectively throws off the offenses' timing and allows our passrushers that extra 1/2 second needed to get to the QB. also, our secondary is going to be exposed when the receivers have time to get downfield.

turnovers- only 1 interception so far. we need that passrush to create more opportunites for turnovers. that being said, I want to see Irvin in there passrushing. gawd is he explosive off the line.

tldr: put Irvin in there as a pussrusher and our corners need to go back to what we did the prior 2 seasons: pressing receivers at the line

themunn

Reaction score
I'm still holding off making judgement for a few games yet - we played the best 3 in the business in weeks 1-3, Cousins isn't on the same level obviously, and had a terrible game last week, but Jay Gruden is the same guy that helped Andy Dalton look like one of the better QBs in the league in his first 3 years, and in a game with 10 days to prepare I'd expect them to come out with a few plays to beat us.

Next up, one of the best offenses in the league at both scoring and choking, no doubt another win for the Seahawks despite statistically not looking "great". If we're still having this conversation by the time we face the Eagles, THEN I'll start worrying.