Have teams figured out how to expose our Zone Defense?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm kind of concerned about our lack of bump & run, as has been pointed out by some already. Would love to hear an explanation from Quinn as to the reasoning behind it.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I just would like to say, of the 4 QBs the Seahawks faced so far in this season Kirk Cousins had the quickest release. His arm was like a mouse trap sensitive to any pressure. Sure for the most part, he missed his targets but at the same time he would avoid taking the sack and the negative play.

Gruden had a decent game plan... initially they played a lot like SD's offense.... short-yardage ball control. They didn't have much success but they lulled the Seahawks defense into a rhythm of it then all of a sudden they took big shots down field.

I think just have to change it up a little bit. Let Sherman at times follow the WR he's more apt to shutdown. He's a bad match-up on Jackson, like he was on Hilton, Jarius Wright, Tye Hilton. For as smart and good Sherman is, he doesn't possess top notch athleticism and he will get beat from time to time.

Imo, an easy counter to the big play burner is switch high low responsibilities of Kam and Earl where Earl follows the speed. Kam on Niles. Thomas would have diagnosed the Jackson play, and would have been at least been in better position with his athleticism to chase Jackson down.

Another possibility I would love to see is switch Wagner and Chancellor where they both become safety/linebacker hybrids. Wagner has elite range and has been excellent in coverage this year. I think he could handle what Kam does and vice versa with Kam at Mike.

Just give the D some new looks and teams won't be able to exploit it as much.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1vlskh2s said:
It all starts with consistent pressure on the QB, which we have not had this season.

Granted, we played three of the best QBs in the game...who are all adept at dodging the rush and getting the ball out quickly.

I think if we get the pass rush cranked up, it will help the whole defense and the other areas they are struggling with - like forcing turnovers. It would be nice if Cliff Avril would make an appearance.
My thoughts as well, along with the lack of press coverage what with the new rules (designed solely to hider the Seattle Seahawks).

Tical21

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2oui0xoi said:
I just would like to say, of the 4 QBs the Seahawks faced so far in this season Kirk Cousins had the quickest release. His arm was like a mouse trap sensitive to any pressure. Sure for the most part, he missed his targets but at the same time he would avoid taking the sack and the negative play.

Gruden had a decent game plan... initially they played a lot like SD's offense.... short-yardage ball control. They didn't have much success but they lulled the Seahawks defense into a rhythm of it then all of a sudden they took big shots down field.

I think just have to change it up a little bit. Let Sherman at times follow the WR he's more apt to shutdown. He's a bad match-up on Jackson, like he was on Hilton, Jarius Wright, Tye Hilton. For as smart and good Sherman is, he doesn't possess top notch athleticism and he will get beat from time to time.

Imo, an easy counter to the big play burner is switch high low responsibilities of Kam and Earl where Earl follows the speed. Kam on Niles. Thomas would have diagnosed the Jackson play, and would have been at least been in better position with his athleticism to chase Jackson down.

Another possibility I would love to see is switch Wagner and Chancellor where they both become safety/linebacker hybrids. Wagner has elite range and has been excellent in coverage this year. I think he could handle what Kam does and vice versa with Kam at Mike.

Putting Earl Thomas in the flat instead of Kam usually wouldn't make a difference on a deep ball.

Lazyfingers

Reaction score
While this doesn't explain everything, Pete mentioned on the radio yesterday morning that the play where Jackson beat Sherman/Chancellor deep was a particular weakness in the scheme. He said they were trying something new and it put Sherman in a bad spot. As always, he seemed aware of the weakness and said they will fix it.

MexHawk

Reaction score
Also, in that particular play, Cousins bought time escaping the pocket and allowing the receiver to separate from Kam (not that Kam could stay by him a lot of time). The pressure on the QB was there, but he was able to escape it. Great play by Cousins.

ESPN latin america commentator Raul Allegre (former giants kicker) said that our zone defense is vulnerable this season, and they have to make some adjustments. I agree, San Diego, Denver and Washington has taken advantage of this, completing long passes.

Cartire

Reaction score
Im having a hard time finding any team that doesnt give up a few good throws a game though if not more. Do we have a weakness? Maybe compared to our own standard, but I would say overall our weakness is still far less startling then the mass majority of NFL defenses out there.

They had 2 great plays calls and throw and catches to go with them. 2. I am not sweating over 2.
Peyton had 2 of the same on one drive. 2. Im not sweating over 2.
Rivers had 1. 1. Im defiantly not sweating over 1.

Wake me when were giving these up on a more consistent basis.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tical21":3t40bke7 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3t40bke7 said:

Putting Earl Thomas in the flat instead of Kam usually wouldn't make a difference on a deep ball.

But is it not about match-ups?

If Sherm passed off Jackson to Thomas instead of Chancellor does Cousins even throw that ball knowing Thomas closing speed and elite range was a factor in the play.

I think Cousins would have hesitated and looked elsewhere knowing it was the same Earl Thomas that changed directions ona dime earlier in the game after diagnosing a play that was going to go to Jackson and got close enough to disrupt Jackson's line of sight on the ball.

Cartire

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":sm2wxjhc said:
Tical21":sm2wxjhc said:
Pandion Haliaetus":sm2wxjhc said:

If Sherm passed off Jackson to Thomas instead of Chancellor does Cousins even throw that ball knowing Thomas closing speed and elite range was a factor in the play.

I think Cousins would have hesitated and looked elsewhere knowing it was the same Earl Thomas that changed directions ona dime earlier in the game after diagnosing a play that was going to go to Jackson and got close enough to disrupt Jackson's line of sight on the ball.

Cousins was already broke out of the pocket in had to throw no matter what. It was going to Jackson once he came out on the right side of the pocket regardless of who was covering at that point.

Tical21

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":252a13x7 said:
Tical21":252a13x7 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":252a13x7 said:

Jackson runs right past Earl Thomas right there too.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tical21":3d07wnwm said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3d07wnwm said:
Tical21":3d07wnwm said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3d07wnwm said:

Jackson runs right past Earl Thomas right there too.

So, basically the only way to defend that play is give Kam deep middle responsibilities where Thomas was on the play.

Then switch Thomas and Sherman. Where Thomas is Sherman on that play and Sherman is Kam.

Maybe Thomas doesn't pass off Jackson in that scenario and sticks with him full stride. But if he does maybe Sherman does a little better than Kam in reading the play and stays glued in coverage. However, if not and Jackson still catches the ball, Thomas as Sherman on that play still has a better chance at least in making the TD saving tackle. And who knows maybe Thomas doesn't make the clean tackle but slows Jackson down enough for Kam to come over to tatoo Jackson like he did Burley. Then Jackson develops alligator arms the rest of the game.

Just a few new wrinkles especially playing matchups could go a long ways if teams truly figured out how to attack the Zone.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The NFL is an ever changing adapt or die league, so yeah team's are trying hard to come up with schemes and wrinkles to have some success against our cover 3 defense.

But IMO the reason we're seeing teams having success has more to do with our D-line not getting to the QB as much as last year. If QB's like Manning, Rivers and Cousins are completing 40 yard bombs with a higher rate of succession, then that's on the D-line not getting home in time to at least disrupt the play so it's unsuccessful.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I would be willing to bet that the Seahawks pass defense starts climbing at a rapid rate and will finish the season as a top 5 unit. Aaron Rodgers, Phillip Rivers, and Peyton Manning in the first three games would have any other pass defense in the league ranked 32nd. With the QBs in the division and the rest of the AFC West coming up, the Seahawks will definitely be trending upward. The sky is not falling.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Tokadub":1hfsste4 said:
Conclusion:

It seems like with the new rules emphasis on the defensive holding our defense is playing a lot more zone instead of the dominant man to man they did so well last season when they were allowed to be more physical.

This seems like a play that Sherman clearly should of been on DeSean Jackson the whole time but instead was forced to cover the middle of the field.

If I had more time I'm sure I could come up with literally dozens of picture sequences which illustrate this same exact fundamental problem. Our Zone Defense is getting exposed, our guys are confused, out of position, and they have no chance to make the play. Opposing teams offensive coordinators seem to have figured out how to create mismatches for their receivers and giant gaping holes in our coverage.

Not trying to cause everyone to "freak out" but this is the trend I am seeing with our defense and it's the main cause for us giving up 255 passing yards per game, losing to the Chargers, getting horribly burned in a 1 minute drive by Denver, etc. etc.

It seems to me our coaches have some real work to do to correct this zone defense, either our guys aren't reading it right or it simply doesn't work.

The more I watch our Offensive Line it seems like a lot of our worst plays occur when our guys fail to correctly read the play in their zone blocking scheme. This often times leaves the opposing pass rushers to be wide open and making our guys look foolish like they aren't blocking anyone.

Anyone have more thoughts on this? I'm analyzing it the best I can but I don't have any specific knowledge about defensive schemes although I think I can understand it decently if I analyze it.

How can you possibly write this conclusion and make absolutely no mention of Rivers, Manning, or Rodgers?

How is is possibly valid to compare to our average from last season while we've faced 3 of the most potent passers in the NFL in our first 4 games?

This is where sample size in the NFL makes statistics meaningless and ridiculous.

This just in from the pages of "DUH" magazine: When you play against the top gunslingers of the NFL, they tend to pass the football.

In case you're wondering, kids at home, this is why they call it "dope".

And of course, let's blame the entirety of the issue on our secondary scheme, while we only have 6 sacks on the year. Just brilliant. There's some drug-addled reasoning if I ever saw it.