Jalen Carter sued by family of teammate who died in racing incident

morgulon1

Reaction score
People had to know this was going to happen. Sad a dad lost his child yet how does suing Carter help anyone?
Wouldn't the plaintiff have to prove that it was Carter's fault? There has to be more to it. Carter's lawyers are going to say
the young man who died was grown and made his own bad choice.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
This shouldn’t have much effect on his football career. But it does create an interesting situation. He was not charged with causing the deaths, but he did agree to participate in the race. So, he is not legally liable for the deaths but does have some moral responsibility for what happened, especially if he wasn’t drunk at time. That’s how I’ve always looked at it. I think every NFL team expected this lawsuit would come.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
This shouldn’t have much effect on his football career. But it does create an interesting situation. He was not charged with causing the deaths, but he did agree to participate in the race. So, he is not legally liable for the deaths but does have some moral responsibility for what happened, especially if he wasn’t drunk at time. That’s how I’ve always looked at it. I think every NFL team expected this lawsuit would come.
didn't he leave the scene? Did he hang around to help or did he just leave without giving any sort of aide?

nategreat

Reaction score
Of course the father is going to milk it for all it's worth, as if it wasn't his son's own fault. It's ridiculous what people can get away suing for, I hope he loses the case and what's left in his savings account paying for a lawyer. Trying to make millions of dollars off his own son's death and poor choices, how commendable. Only in America. Freeloaders.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
didn't he leave the scene? Did he hang around to help or did he just leave without giving any sort of aide?
What aide? They were dead. He should have stayed there to talk to police, but it would not have helped the people who died.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
What aide? They were dead. He should have stayed there to talk to police, but it would not have helped the people who died.
Yeah, your right, I dont know the full details, only that the other person was dead when help arrived at the scene.. but, what about the time of the accident..Could Carter have checked on him to see if he was indeed dead?

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Gotta love Americans and their seeing dollar signs from a tragedy.
Exactly this. The wife and I just returned from 3 months in Thailand. As Americans, 2 of the questions we were asked most frequently: "Do you have a lot of guns"? And "Why are Americans always suing each other"?

My answers went like : I've personally never sued anyone and nope, I don't have a lot of guns. The typical reply to that was "Why not? If I lived in the US I'd have a lot of guns".

I assured them I'd buy a sh*tload upon our return.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Their attorney knows he's not getting them some whopping payday from Camp Carter. What he's after is a "nuisance settlement". With Carter's new money, his own attorneys will probably advise him to just gift the opportunists $100k or so to make it go away. It's either pay the attorneys $150k to deal with it all or just give the pricks $100k and put it in the rearview. His attorneys are probably smart enough to know he'll need them again later.

toffee

Reaction score
Of course the father is going to milk it for all it's worth, as if it wasn't his son's own fault. It's ridiculous what people can get away suing for, I hope he loses the case and what's left in his savings account paying for a lawyer. Trying to make millions of dollars off his own son's death and poor choices, how commendable. Only in America. Freeloaders.
May be, but we don't know the relationship of the deceased with their parents. Instead of Carter blowing his contract money on fast cars and loose women, not a bad way to help those parents.

BASF

Reaction score
May be, but we don't know the relationship of the deceased with their parents. Instead of Carter blowing his contract money on fast cars and loose women, not a bad way to help those parents.
Help those parents with what exactly?

Let's talk turkey. Willock was drinking while under age to above the legal limit and was not dragged into the vehicle (as seen on the TMZ video) with a woman driving who was too intoxicated to control the vehicle. Willock is 100% responsible for his actions. The only leg the parent has to stand on is the strip club serving him alcohol to impair his judgement. Even then, he was the one that chose to drink enough to be impaired in the first place.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Had Jalen not raced the driver, she and his dead teammate might be alive, and his teammate and another staffer would well not be injured.

If i were out with plastered friends sober, I would put them in my car and drive them home. Wouldn’t you or any reasonable person?

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Had Jalen not raced the driver, she and his dead teammate might be alive, and his teammate and another staffer would well not be injured.

If i were out with plastered friends sober, I would put them in my car and drive them home. Wouldn’t you or any reasonable person?
Most 20 year olds are not reasonable people. And none of this makes Carter responsible for the actions of the others involved.