Jamal Adams retiring?

flv2

Reaction score
They could go after a prorated portion of his signing bonus I think. I know they haven't done that in the past, but I could see them doing it to Adams.
It depends on how the contract is written. For example if a team signs a player to a 5 year contract at $10M per year with $1M salary in the 1st year and a $9M signing bonus then it's unlikely they could come after it if the player held out in year 3. It depends on whether the signing bonus is really a signing bonus or whether it's a mechanism for delaying cap hits. Many contracts are altered after money becomes guaranteed purely to delay cap hits. Players and agents wouldn't allow it if the alteration could later be used against the player.

As I understand it the dead money relating to Adams is delayed accounting of salary already paid. Thus there's nothing to claw back.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I wonder if there is a stat out there for money paid vs actual playing time per minute and see how JA would rank all-time

Mase

Reaction score
- Been here a long time, and I have proven that I am not the "CUT HIM" type. I didn't resent what we gave up for him, although I did think it was a lot. I did appreciate the team trying to replace the role that Chancellor had here.

- On the player side, I do feel bad for any athlete who has worked that hard, day to day and recovering from injury, just to have their body let them down.

- But I am someone who thinks character matters, and his is lacking. His whole schtick is so juvenile. Taking a shot at someone's family, because he called you out after getting smoked, again, for a long catch and this time a TD. I know they had history, and if that reporter posted something about Adams' personal life, then maybe it would make sense, but his "when they go low, I go lower" remark was just the final straw. If you are willing to almost brag about that being your mantra, then that says everything I need to hear. Good riddance.

Mase

cheese22

Reaction score
-Addition by subtraction.
-Trim more fat and give the new (MacDonald, fingers crossed) coach as many young assets as possible to build his team (with a focus on defense).
-Make sure Pete's position is more ceremonial than interactive.

edogg23

Reaction score
I’m sure he will retire after the Seahawks cut him so he doesn’t do our cap any favors.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
No. Whether he leaves the team before the new NFL year or as a Post Jun 1 2024 cut is a marginal decision. Whatever happens the Seahawks still have to account for the same total amount of dead money over 2 seasons. There are just variances in the 2024 cap figure. Don't be shocked if he isn't announced as a cut and he's still on the roster in April. It wouldn't mean they're keeping him at $16.5M.
https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-free-agency-explainer-vital-information-on-franchise-tags-contract-term#:~:text=In business terms, it is,cap for the current year.
Dead money: Refers to salary a team has already paid or has committed to paying (i.e., a signing bonus, fully guaranteed base salaries, earned bonuses, etc.) but which has not been charged against the salary cap. In business terms, it is essentially a "sunk cost." Any money a team pays a player must be accounted for against the salary cap. If there is dead money in a player's contract and he is released or retires, that charge will accelerate onto the team's salary cap for the current year. For example, retired quarterback Tom Brady will leave behind $35.1 million in dead money on the Buccaneers' salary cap, due to signing-bonus prorations spread over four void years.
Looks like it's one season not two. That sucks.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The vitriol toward this guy is unbelievable. He gave everything he had to the team. There was never a play he took off or pussyfooted -

BS. Sure looked like he was being careful this season to me and i'm still convinced he sat himself out after Pete called him out.

Let's just call it like it is. Adams is a toxic human being that didn't work out here and will forever be remembered as one of the worst trades in team history.

renofox

Reaction score
He can be released with a post-6/1 designation once the new league year starts (3/13ish). Designation can be used on 2 players each year. If designated, there is no acceleration.

Or he can be released or retire 6/2 or later and there is no acceleration.

flv2

Reaction score
There is dead money scheduled to be accounted for in both 2024 and 'in a time period after that'. (For accuracy it's $10.417M in both 2024 and 2025). If the Seahawks cut Adams before the new NFL year or before Jun 1 in the new NFL year the whole amount will accelerate into the 2024 cap. If the Seahawks retain Adams beyond Jun 1 or designate him as a post Jun 1 cut the 2024 dead money will stay in 2024 and all the dead money after 2024 will be accounted for in 2025. Delaying a cap hit is normally a good thing because it increases cap flexibility. However, in this case keeping his $16.5M salary until Jun 1 would mean they're $6.083M worse off until then. It's a significant downside countering the post Jun 1 benefit which makes it a marginal decision.