Jamal Adams Traded to Seattle!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":ufymuc4i said:
A team is always going to have holes here and there, and folks get angry over any acquisition or trade because it doesn't fix every hole at once.

That's a glib way to avoid the fact that you need a complete team to seriously compete for the big dance, that two first-rounders is a potentially franchise-changing chunk of collateral, and that the biggest weakness of the team is also one of the most closely connected to success. If we were short on linebackers, I wouldn't be as worried.

Any player has the potential to be just too costly. Say Adams gets injured. What are you left with? A couple of raw sophomore projects - that's it. Sure, you can't let the risk of injury paralyze you and keep you from making moves. But what if they'd kept McDougald and HE got injured? Then you have a couple of raw sophomore projects and two first round picks to address the position if he doesn't work out. With this trade, Pete and John have stuck their neck far further out over the injury cliff - a cliff that hasn't treated them well since 2016.

It isn't about what Adams is. Everyone knows what Adams is. It's about the fact that the position was already capably filled and the trade damaged our ability to address a different, VERY crucial position that needs that first-round collateral in precisely the next couple years. It was not a good one.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3i40elea said:
Maelstrom787":3i40elea said:
A team is always going to have holes here and there, and folks get angry over any acquisition or trade because it doesn't fix every hole at once.

That's a glib way to avoid the fact that you need a complete team to seriously compete for the big dance, that two first-rounders is a potentially franchise-changing chunk of collateral, and that the biggest weakness of the team is also one of the most closely connected to success. If we were short on linebackers, I wouldn't be as worried.

Any player has the potential to be just too costly. Say Adams gets injured. What are you left with? A couple of raw sophomore projects - that's it. Sure, you can't let the risk of injury paralyze you and keep you from making moves. But what if they'd kept McDougald and HE got injured? Then you have a couple of raw sophomore projects and two first round picks to address the position if he doesn't work out. With this trade, Pete and John have stuck their neck far further out over the injury cliff - a cliff that hasn't treated them well since 2016.

It isn't about what Adams is. Everyone knows what Adams is. It's about the fact that the position was already capably filled and the trade damaged our ability to address a different, VERY crucial position that needs that first-round collateral in precisely the next couple years. It was not a good one.

Fair enough. The trade does limit their options in that regard - but I'd rather have a game changing player in the defensive backfield. He's likely going to improve the entire defense with his presence, and could very well be the piece that gets Seattle to the Super Bowl in 2021.

The position was capably filled, sure. Bradley was good, not great. After years of watching bad safety play, we've seen just how much it affects this defense. Now it's the best safety duo in the NFL. This counts for more than people want to acknowledge.

Anyway, trade is done and Seattle has come away with a likely hall of famer in his youth. Adams is a legitimate building block and team leader - Bradley was not, as much as I loved him. This is going to end up being an excellent move that puts this defense back into "feared" territory.

It's a Pete Carroll team, man. It just works better with a great secondary, and I'm fine paying a high price for a truly great player. The other needs, sure, they'll have to get creative or scheme to minimize their detriment. No denying that.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Just curious, if we didn't make this trade - how does that fix the pass rush or DL that you see so much handwringing about?

We certainly were not going to get a pass rusher in the draft, and much less a DT that puts pressure on the passer.

And instead of this trade, were there any teams willing to offer pass rushers or DTs that tilt the field? Not that I am aware. EVERY team wants stud DTs and great pass rushers. They are much more expensive than safeties.

Considering we were in the bottom half of the league in terms of QBR for opposing QBs. At least fixing our secondary solves a huge problem for us. If you cannot rush the passer, you better learn to defend the pass or cover.

Nunya

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":qzmr3iv1 said:
Maelstrom787":qzmr3iv1 said:

I would make this trade in a heart beat. On the surface, the (2) 1st round picks seem like a lot, but the upside is that they signed a pro-bowl talent DB for only $3.59 mil for the first season and less than $10 mil in the second season. That is pretty much a steal in regards to cap space.

Yes, he could get hurt, but so can every player in the NFL. You can not consider that possibility when bringing in players. If you do, then you would never take a chance with anybody. If Adams plays at the same talent level that he has in the past, this will look like a great move by JS/PC. If he does not, it will be seen as a dumb move. There is no reason to suspect he will not continue playing at the level he has played at in the past. He has proven he is a very talented player.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":384kp4ye said:
Just curious, if we didn't make this trade - how does that fix the pass rush or DL that you see so much handwringing about?

We certainly were not going to get a pass rusher in the draft, and much less a DT that puts pressure on the passer.

And instead of this trade, were there any teams willing to offer pass rushers or DTs that tilt the field? Not that I am aware. EVERY team wants stud DTs and great pass rushers. They are much more expensive than safeties.

Considering we were in the bottom half of the league in terms of QBR for opposing QBs. At least fixing our secondary solves a huge problem for us. If you cannot rush the passer, you better learn to defend the pass or cover.

Adams would have led the defense in sacks last year with 6.5, so he is a SS that drops down into the box often to rush the passer.

I assume we will use him as the Jets used him, a box safety to stuff the run and blitz.

So does it fix our D-line problem directly? No, but just as we saw with Diggs how the defense played much better as a whole, Adams should do that even more, as he is one of the best defensive players in the entire league.

I also think there's another D-line signing in the works. Both Clowney and Griffen are still out there, so I think we sign one of these guys before camp, or maybe a week into.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1u5wb3ev said:
Northwest Seahawk":1u5wb3ev said:
Also anyone that thinks Seattle's secondary was fine was not watching the same games i was last year our coverage was putrid .

None of which was the fault of McDougald.

And it actually wasn't as bad as you've been led to believe.

I wasn't led anywhere i watched the freaking games all of them. McDougald wasn't great last year either .

jammerhawk

Reaction score
FortWorthSeahawk":5246uc73 said:
Really smart kid as well..you'll likely have to go to YouTube to watch this, but well worth the time.

[youtube]PCeQFVtog7w[/youtube]

Well worth watching.

He's a smart player.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1sleoau0 said:
FortWorthSeahawk":1sleoau0 said:
Really smart kid as well..you'll likely have to go to YouTube to watch this, but well worth the time.

Well worth watching.

He's a smart player.

Brock Huard called him the most instinctive safety he's seen since Ed Reed, and that includes Earl.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Adams > Fitzpatrick. Seahawks made a run at Fitzpatrick, the Dolphins decided to take the Steelers offer. It happens. Therefore Diggs is a Seahawk. Had they got Fitz, no Diggs. Adams is a Seahawk for the next two seasons at a minimum and that’s a good thing.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":l6qjxnpm said:

For what they gave up, they probably could have signed Griffen and Clowney. Whatever, the deals been made. I hate the deal and I hope he's not just another high profile FA that comes to Seattle and underachieves, but i'll have to wait and see. Also, I feel sorry for Russ as its apparent they just arent going to fix the offensive line. He deserves better.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Clayton just said that Adams is playing under his rookie deal in 2020 and they will talk contract extension after the season. That certainly helps.

Jville

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2aveb8ib said:
FortWorthSeahawk":2aveb8ib said:

Well worth watching.

He's a smart player.

Terrific video insite. Thanks for posting :2thumbs:

Nunya

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2xaxbtql said:
TwistedHusky":2xaxbtql said:

For what they gave up, they probably could have signed Griffen and Clowney. Whatever, the deals been made. I hate the deal and I hope he's not just another high profile FA that comes to Seattle and underachieves, but i'll have to wait and see. Also, I feel sorry for Russ as its apparent they just arent going to fix the offensive line. He deserves better.

Not even close. $3.59 million in 2020 and $9.86 million in 2021.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I had to think long and hard about why the organization would do something so seemingly stupid, then it hit me. They're not expecting a lot of high quality players in the top of the next couple drafts, due to COVID-19.

Nunya

Reaction score
Draft pick points:

1st round, 6th pick = 1600 points (Adam's pick by Jets)

1st Round, 22 pick = 780 points (2021 draft)
1st Round, 22 pick = 780 points (2022 draft)
3rd round, 22 pick = 160 points (2021 draft
TOTAL = 1720 points

So basically, it looks like the Seahawks broke even in the draft department. If they rank later than 22, then the deal becomes better (per draft points) for the Seahawks. If they rank earlier than 22, then the deal becomes worse.

http://www.mynfldraft.com/nfl-draft-pick-points-chart/

Cap Space:

McDougald, 8 year vet, 2020 Cap hit = $4.1 million cap hit. McDougald becomes a UFA after 2020.
Adams = reported as a $3.6 mil cap hit in 2020 and $9.8 mil in 2021

So, basically, the Seahawks got Adams $500k cheaper than McDougald for 2020, though likely more expensive in 2021. However, if he is all he is suppose to be, it will be well worth it.

The more I look into this trade, the more I like. On the surface it looked bad, but deep down, I think it was a great trade.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... ad%20money.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-je ... ald-12835/

TreeRon

Reaction score
Skip Bayless thinks Seahawks made a foolish trade...therefore using my 'whatever Bayless says, the opposite must be true' logic, it was a brilliant trade.

Update: Marcellus Wiley thinks it a bad trade, doubling my assurance it's a good deal

AgentDib

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":26wye782 said:
It's about the fact that the position was already capably filled and the trade damaged our ability to address a different, VERY crucial position that needs that first-round collateral in precisely the next couple years. It was not a good one.
The other argument here is that we have put a lot of resources into the defensive line lately and the investment return hasn't been good. Perhaps we are simply coming up short on those personnel gambles, but I don't think it hurts to consider different ways to approach the issue.

Our defensive line appeared to completely dominate one game last season (@SF), which happened to coincide with SF having their key receiving targets injured. That's one good indication that our secondary play impacts the defensive line outcomes significantly and the causation last year went from back to front much of the time.

Nunya

Reaction score
TreeRon":2kzn7qln said:
Skip Bayless thinks Seahawks made a foolish trade...therefore using my 'whatever Bayless says, the opposite must be true' logic, it was a brilliant trade.

I would say you have a fool-proof system....well except it does involve a fool named "Skip".