The Jamal Adams trade in retrospect

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Why does it matter if he's a safety or not? He can get to the QB and help with the run defense. Couldn't give two sh*** if he's a Safety or not. Have him play to his strengths, not sure why it is so hard to understand. I've said my peace.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I think the Adam's trade was far more about the complete whiffs at safety post LOB, like Lano Hill and Tedrick Thompson....and throw in Flowers and Amadi for good measure.

These draft pick failures led to the desperation of the need to make a trade like Adams.

Thats a good point Sarge and one I have considered, but Adams isnt a conventional safety so he never made sense to me. I think Pete thought he was going to come in and be that safety piece he has been missing while having him rush the QB at the same time and it didnt work. How could it though? He wasnt the answer to the real problem, he was a band-aid. The biggest issue is that he is a much better pass rusher than a safety and thats where it all falls apart.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Why does it matter if he's a safety or not? He can get to the QB and help with the run defense. Couldn't give two sh*** if he's a Safety or not. Have him play to his strengths, not sure why it is so hard to understand. I've said my peace.

Because while he's half @ssing that, opposing receivers are running all over the field snagging bucket loads of balls for huge yardage. I would rather have a safety play safety and not pretend to be a DE or LB.

You laugh at my other post but refuse to admit for some reason that when Adams was recording his sacks, those offenses were still putting up video games numbers through the air and why was that? It wasnt just a coincidence that the defense turned itself around after Dunlap was acquired mid-season.

Last edited:

knownone

Reaction score
The Adams trade wasn't that bad in a vacuum. We were a contender. We needed help at safety and went all in on a two-time all-pro.

The real issue was the contract extension and Seattle's misguided attempt to play him in a role that did not fit his skillset. When healthy, he graded out as a top-10 safety in every category besides pass defense. Considering Adams was in the top three in pass defense before coming to Seattle, It's safe to assume our scheme played a significant role in his decline.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Because while he's half @ssing that, opposing receivers are running all over the field snagging bucket loads of balls for huge yardage. I would rather have a safety play safety and not pretend to be a DE or LB.

You laugh at my other post but refuse to admit for some reason that when Adams was recording his sacks, those offenses were still putting up video games numbers through the air and why was that? It wasnt just a coincidence that the defense turned itself around after Dunlap was acquired mid-season.
that's your opinion, I have mine. Your dislike for him, or how he plays, isn't going to change my mind on him and what I think he brings to the table.

I'm good with that.

Hawkmode

Reaction score

Nice view points...the bear defensive front featured number 46 Plank...a hard hitting safety who disrupted plays near the line of scrimmage...Jamal Adams is a disruptor whose quick get off when placed at the line of scrimmage also poses a real threat to making QB's uncomfortable.

Fielding 3 safeties allows coverage on the back door while allowing Jamal to haunt the ball carrier (whether its the QB/RB) better than a Nickel Corner drawing similar assignments. Carlos Dunlap and Jamal benefitted from each other...but we didn't have the tight man coverage talent to allow Jamal to stay at or near the line of scrimmage in his 2nd year. Quick get off is best utilized from line of scrimmage...not LB depth where Jamal was forced to play in his 2nd year for better coverage. (we needed better corners for true impact...and now we got them).

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
that's your opinion, I have mine. Your dislike for him, or how he plays, isn't going to change my mind on him and what I think he brings to the table.

I'm good with that.

Fair

I just think when he is out there doing what he does best, he is actually a hindrance to the rest of the defense as a whole. Just my opinion.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Nice view points...the bear defensive front featured number 46 Plank...a hard hitting safety who disrupted plays near the line of scrimmage...Jamal Adams is a disruptor whose quick get off when placed at the line of scrimmage also poses a real threat to making QB's uncomfortable.

Fielding 3 safeties allows coverage on the back door while allowing Jamal to haunt the ball carrier (whether its the QB/RB) better than a Nickel Corner drawing similar assignments. Carlos Dunlap and Jamal benefitted from each other...but we didn't have the tight man coverage talent to allow Jamal to stay at or near the line of scrimmage in his 2nd year. Quick get off is best utilized from line of scrimmage...not LB depth where Jamal was forced to play in his 2nd year for better coverage. (we needed better corners for true impact...and now we got them).

Hey if it can work out like you've pointed out, thats awesome. I'll easily admit I was wrong.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There are two rather opposed views about this trade and the contract given to Adams.

My view is he didn't try to get himself hurt. His injury is rare hard to heal from and he's almost back. When he plays he is able to blitz better than most every other S in the NFL. He has made the Pro Bowl 5 times already so there is an outside consensus not from the Haters here that he is a very good player. I think he makes the team stronger significantly when he is on the field.

The trade was costly in terms of picks and perhaps it can be argued fairly the team overpaid in two ways for him. They did need a SS though and were not going to get THE guy they needed in that draft, so they ponied up the picks. However, during his first year with the team he set a record for sacks by a DB and made the Pro Bowl yet again so initially he returned value. He earned his contract. Following this there has been a lot of nonsense about poor coverage ability and poor positional play which is factually not supported, and is untrue.

He has been hurt quite a bit which has understandably reduced the value he provides to the team vs. his cost in terms of cap expenditures. He has been a bit unlucky with injuries and hopefully he will return soon and prove he was worth the team acquiring. At this stage his cost is sunk cost and folks need to stop reinventing history to pan his abilities.

He is to me a player who is difference maker when he plays and I am hopeful we see him playing again soon.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Dang sure of myself? I'm talking about Adams and what he COULD bring to the table. I'm putting no assurances or guarantees out there. I just know what he's capable of.
Never mind, it's just beaten horse over and over again. I have my opinion, you have yours, and that's great.
It's your overuse of the term "absolutely" that led me to believe that you were so "dang sure" of yourself.

I'm not anywhere near being "absolutely" convinced that Adams can still get to the QB and even less sure that he can make a significant impact in our run defense even before his injury let alone now that he's had to have taken over a year to recover from his latest injury. He didn't record a single sack in 2021.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Because you have to sacrifice something when you send a safety in on a blitz. It's not the preferred way to get pressure on the QB. His record 9.5 sacks in 2020 is as indicative of our horrible pass rush from our front 7 as it is about his setting a record for most sacks by a safety.

I'm not convinced that he can help with the run game. I'm not saying that he's horrible or anything of that nature, but he's coming off a very serious leg injury and if he's going to be employed as some sort of safety/LB hybrid as was one of the options that has been discussed, he's going to be going up against tight ends and pulling guards that outweigh him by 40-100 lbs.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I get the desire and optimism for EVERY player to contribute and I hope Jamal does just that, he's a Seahawk after all.

But, germane to this topic, let me quickly recap the trade as it has been a while.

Jets received:
2021 1st round pick
2021 3rd round pick
2022 1st round pick
Safety Bradley McDougald

Seahawks received:
Adams (in a contract year)
2022 4th round pick

Now read that again.

That's somewhat close (well kind of in the ballpark) to what the Broncos gave up for our (at the time) all-pro starting QB. QB! Do you think that was a good trade for the Broncos? Now what if Russell missed the entire 2023 season to injury? I'm sure if that happened, every Bronco fan would hope he returns in 2024 to contribute and return to his old self, because, well, their Broncos fans. It wouldn't change the enduring lopsided nature of the trade however.

Personally, I think that even if Adams had been healthy and played well, it was way too much to give (both in draft capital and extension money) for a safety.

Hell, I also think it was akin to a relationship rebound. ETIII was so damn special in his prime and allowed our defense so much flexibility. Pete was accustomed to that, and losing that presence in the secondary left him desperate to replace it. Unfortunately, at any cost.

The answer is- The JA trade was epically awful. It doesn't mean you don't root for him. It doesn't mean he hasn't had awesome plays whilst here. It doesn't mean your not an optimistic fan who "believes". It means you're a realist. The JA trade sucked ass. Big deal. It is what it is. Zero doubt we would have realized more ROI with 2 firsts, 1 third and the 1.457 billion we paid him to allocate to other positions.

That said, I hope he kicks tail this year, so.... Seahawks Country, Let's Fly. Go Hawks.

Last edited:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Because you have to sacrifice something when you send a safety in on a blitz. It's not the preferred way to get pressure on the QB. His record 9.5 sacks in 2020 is as indicative of our horrible pass rush from our front 7 as it is about his setting a record for most sacks by a safety.

I'm not convinced that he can help with the run game. I'm not saying that he's horrible or anything of that nature, but he's coming off a very serious leg injury and if he's going to be employed as some sort of safety/LB hybrid as was one of the options that has been discussed, he's going to be going up against tight ends and pulling guards that outweigh him by 40-100 lbs.

The very first sentence is what hits the hardest with me and then the very last one. Sacrifices on the defense needs to be made in order for him to play to the best of his abilities and I believe those sacrifices outweigh anything he brings to the table. If 3 safety sets are to be included with Adams in the lineup, offenses are going to block Adams with somebody other than a RB and thats not going to end well. He's a better pass rusher than safety and that just doesnt add up in the large scheme of things,

Who cares though. Why get so invested in a player that's more than likely only going to play 5 or 6 games at the most anyways?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Who cares though. Why get so invested in a player that's more than likely only going to play 5 or 6 games at the most anyways?

All the roster evidence agrees with you, the organization has moved on with the signing of Love, moving Bryant to safety and drafting of another monster hitter in Witherspoon, with highest pick in almost 15 years.

Not sure why a lot of fans haven't moved on also.

JPatera76

Reaction score
if Seattle used him how the Jets where, then it was great. It seems IMO here, he was used like Kam.. and he himself tried being like Kam, with the hard hitting over the middle stuff, but he’s not built for it.

IF Seattle starts using him this year like he was used with the Jets then I think it’ll work out. I also can’t fault a guy for getting injured. Can’t 100% control it. However, I do believe sometime after our SB loss we lost or replaced the strength and conditioning coach or whoever was in charge and we’ve seen an uptick in injuries whereas before we weren’t or avoided most injuries.