James Carpenter - not so good.

Major Seahawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1270njxa said:
As bad as Carp is, he's still way better than Sweezy. Sweezy is the real weak link of the line. Carp will get better once he gets into game shape.

Seems to always be the case with him, getting into game shape. He played pretty poorly today and looked way out of shape compared to everyone else on that field. If he doesn't put it together this season I think he won't make the roster next year

kigenzun

Reaction score
Right now Carp needs a haircut.

If he continues to play the way he did today, he'll be looking for a real job.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
So I watched every snap of Carpenter and it is actually concerning to me how wrong most people in this thread are. He had one absolutely terrible block and that was when he went to block out on the DE Greg Hardy and he made a great move and went right by him on the first play he was in the game in the second half. It was ugly and I suspect that is why people are having such a problem with the game he had. Other than that he played great and made every block. The only other two others I can see anyone having a problem with were when he went to block Kuechly twice in the first half. One he inexplicably just didn't block him but Kuechly wasn't involved in the tackle anyway. The other one he was supposed to block Keuchly in the middle of the field on a play that was going toward the sideline and Kuechly made a great play by tackling Baldwin. It was the one where Baldwin was tackled high by Kuechly.

Other than those 3 plays including two of which were really minor, he played a great game. I suspect people saw the Hardy play where he admittedly looked terrible and applied it to the rest of his game. I would take that performance from a lineman all day.

These are how the Seattle drives went.

1st Half
1st Drive (gained one yard, 3 and out). Carp not on field.
2nd Drive (0 yards, 3 and out). Carp not on field
3rd Drive (74 yards, 15 plays, Field Goal). Carpenter at LG
4th Drive (61 yards, 9 plays, Fumble on 1st and 10 from the 12 which was not Carpenters fault in the slightest) Carpenter at LG

1st half Totals without Carp 6 plays 1 yard
1st half Totals with Carp 24 plays 135 yards

2nd Half
5th drive (7 yards, 3 and out). Carp not on field
6th drive (7 yards, 3 and out). Carp not on field
7th drive (28 yards, 7 plays, field goal) Carp not on field
8th drive (74 yards, 6 plays, Touchdown!) Carpenter at LG
9th Drive (76 yards, 9 plays not counting victory formation, Ran out clock) Carpenter at LG.

2nd half totals without Carp 13 plays 42 yards
2nd half totals with Carp 15 plays 150 yards.

Game totals
Without Carp 19 plays 43 yards (2.26 Yards per play)
With Carp 39 plays 285 yards (7.31 Yards per play!)

themunn

Reaction score
can one player really make such a difference?
That's an insane disparity between the 9 drives. Was anyone else rotating in and out?

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Though this isn't proof that Carpenter played well, that is a pretty strong correlation. At worst, it suggests that Carp's play (whether good or bad) does not have a negative effect on overall team play.

At best, his presence may help to stabilize Okung and Unger and elevate offensive line play.

In the end, this thread made little sense to begin with and was based on no evidence.

justafan

Reaction score
People have the opinion that Carp is a tough physical roadgrader guard.IMO he is the least physical or tough guard that we have.Sweezy or MCQ are going to hit someone.If they dont have a man on them they will help out the tackle.One thing I love about Sweezy is he is always looking for targets.
Whether Carp is still hurting or not I dont know.But he is not out there looking for people to hit.The 1st and 10 play at the 10 yrd line on our first scoring drive he runs right past a DT and a LB without laying a hand on them.The DT is the first in on the tackle and the lb is 2nd or 3rd to arrive.There were plays when he gets to the second level he just lays a hand on the LB trying to get by with as little physical contact as possible.If you blow an assignment ok but hit someone, hit anyone.
Its sad to see injuries plague a kid like Carp.It not only takes away the physical ability but they have to overcome the mental aspect of it and get back to being physical and tough.Carp hasnt recovered that part yet.At least he didnt show that yesterday.

Axx

Reaction score
the only reason why alot of people on this thread havn't noticed that our O-line pass blocks like shiet is because most of the time Russell bails them out.
Your average QB would have been molested today.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
bigtrain21":i5m6gw8j said:
So I watched every snap of Carpenter and it is actually concerning to me how wrong most people in this thread are. He had one absolutely terrible block and that was when he went to block out on the DE Greg Hardy and he made a great move and went right by him on the first play he was in the game in the second half. It was ugly and I suspect that is why people are having such a problem with the game he had. Other than that he played great and made every block. The only other two others I can see anyone having a problem with were when he went to block Kuechly twice in the first half. One he inexplicably just didn't block him but Kuechly wasn't involved in the tackle anyway. The other one he was supposed to block Keuchly in the middle of the field on a play that was going toward the sideline and Kuechly made a great play by tackling Baldwin. It was the one where Baldwin was tackled high by Kuechly.

Other than those 3 plays including two of which were really minor, he played a great game. I suspect people saw the Hardy play where he admittedly looked terrible and applied it to the rest of his game. I would take that performance from a lineman all day.

1st Half
4th Drive (61 yards, 9 plays, Fumble on 1st and 10 from the 12 which was not Carpenters fault in the slightest) Carpenter at LG

2nd Half
9th Drive (76 yards, 9 plays not counting victory formation, Ran out clock) Carpenter at LG.

Game totals

So who had a bad game for this offensive line? If you say no one then you need to unplug your DVR and throw it out of the window.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1jiw1zwk said:

1st Half

2nd Half

Game totals

So who had a bad game for this offensive line? If you say no one then you need to unplug your DVR and throw it out of the window.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
bigtrain21":zsvbt9z6 said:

1st Half

2nd Half

Game totals

internet-high-five.jpg

firebee

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":44cn8wwr said:
Hard to get good when you constantly miss practice and games with injuries.

Carp will get better when he can stay on the field every week.

Well.. Maybe he could stay on the field if he actually got in shape. About a year ago, Carroll was talking about players on the line not showing that they were dedicated to the game and the first guy I thought of was Carpenter. Then a bunch of people said that was ludicrous. Well... I say it again... CARPENTER HAS NO DEDICATION OR COMMITMENT TO THE GAME. That's why he's always injured and looking like a slug on the field.

I'm tired of hearing people try to defend Carpenter. Carpenter has shown absolutely no dedication to the game or desire to be the best lineman he can be and he was a worthless pick. He's just collecting a paycheck. Cut him and bring in a scrub that actually has the desire to be a great player because they'll develop into a solid lineman long before Carpenter does.

King Dog

Reaction score
Is Carpenter out of shape? Sure. The bigger problem seems to be that foot injury, as he was obviously hobbling around on it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
People are being too hard on Carp. Dude hasn't played in...............like ever. Just the fact that he remained upright for the entire game should be a moral victory for him as this point in his career.

Form and fitness should come around if he can remain healthy going forward. So I'm not going to judge him this early in the season. If he's still out of shape and missing blocks in week 5 or 6? Then yeah, it's time to jump on his back.

captSE

Reaction score
Pretty harsh comments - is this what we want our guys to hear?

Maybe it was too hot down there for the man...

pehawk

Reaction score
I'll post here....

I noticed the biggest dude on the offensive line, whose size and hairstyle makes him the easiest to spot, sucks.

I wonder if Carpenter was slimmer with a shaved head we'd hear whining about him? I wonder if his "injury-prone" label will be proven slightly a reach, as the same label was found to be for Okung and Baldwin (remember the Baldwin's frame means he'll forever be injury prone nonsense...just LAST YEAR!?).

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Awesome stats, Bigtrain21.

Just goes to show how fans find their whipping boys and don't let things like facts or game play get in the way of their agenda and hate. There was one point in the game where Carp replaced McQuistan and the offense immediately started moving the ball.

Now don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying Carp played great by any means. But he was far from the one guy getting whooped on the o line yesterday. Carp is rusty, for sure. Not sure what to expect when the guy has been out as long as he has.

PE made a good point in another thread about how it just so happens to work that the guy who is easy to spot gets extra blame on a day when he wasn't the only o-lineman getting worked. Sorta the inverse of how John Lotulelei got a lot of extra credit and notice during the preseason. The hair does draw your eye. It makes it easy to focus in on one guy. Similar to how casual fans focus only on who has the ball.

The laser focusing in on Carp is venturing into mob mentality and group think much more than it is fans actually reacting to what they're seeing on the field. They read others say he sucks all the time, are pissed of his injury history, so they're going in looking for things to be annoyed about. It's like someone who has been told that French people are rude, goes to France with this at the forefront of their mind. They're going to come across a rude person, because there are rude people in any city or country. And when they do, they'll say, "See! French people ARE rude!" It's a form of confirmation bias, and is very easy to fall prey to.

pehawk

Reaction score
"The only thing SAFER than ripping Carp on seahawks.net, is abstinence" - Jerry Fallwell

themunn

Reaction score
firebee":r4h9cxiy said:
FlyingGreg":r4h9cxiy said:
Hard to get good when you constantly miss practice and games with injuries.

Carp will get better when he can stay on the field every week.

Well.. Maybe he could stay on the field if he actually got in shape. About a year ago, Carroll was talking about players on the line not showing that they were dedicated to the game and the first guy I thought of was Carpenter. Then a bunch of people said that was ludicrous. Well... I say it again... CARPENTER HAS NO DEDICATION OR COMMITMENT TO THE GAME. That's why he's always injured and looking like a slug on the field.

I'm tired of hearing people try to defend Carpenter. Carpenter has shown absolutely no dedication to the game or desire to be the best lineman he can be and he was a worthless pick. He's just collecting a paycheck. Cut him and bring in a scrub that actually has the desire to be a great player because they'll develop into a solid lineman long before Carpenter does.

you reckon carpenter is the guy they were talking about?
i reckon they might have been talking about the guy they supplanted with a rookie DT conversion project that was eventually traded for a guy who was cut a week later.
but that's just my opinion