Hawks46

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":7q8ll6ry said:
Sgt. Largent":7q8ll6ry said:
frosted21":7q8ll6ry said:
Largent80":7q8ll6ry said:
All 3 Seattle LB's are better.

False.

Collins is exceptionally talented - no way he's going to 'erase' Wilson though, that's asinine to say. Each player will get his.

Our point is our offense goes up against one of the most talented LB corps in the league in practice every day, who have at least 3-4 LB's just as fast and just as aggressive as Collins........as well as playing against as talented of LB corps in our own division every year. Throw in Kam.

So while Collins is very talented, it's not like he's some never been seen opponent that our offense won't know how to attack or deal with.

Fair enough, good replies.

Collins isn't perfect, esp straight up against the run. He's best at tracking down and snuffing out screens and scrambles, and I've seen backs out in the flat just simply fall down when he's nearby. Huge wingspan, physical freak, I believe he may hold the all time combine record for standing broad jump.

On blitzes he's in the Matthews range of ability. He was a safety for awhile in college so you see him downfield a lot too.

I know you're a Patriot homer, but I do appreciate that you can admit salient points when you see them. As for Collins, my biggest worry (if I was a Pats fan) would be that he only weighs 250 lbs. That's not quite enough sand in the pants to consistently get Marshawn Lynch down. Seriously.

XOXO Darnell Dockett.

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
bigDhawk":2ycr3lae said:
Chawks1":2ycr3lae said:
50yrpatsfan":2ycr3lae said:
DavidSeven":2ycr3lae said:
Prisco isn't an analyst. He uses preschool X&Os littered with confirmation bias to hide the fact he's a huge Cardinals fanboy. Not to take away from Collins, but Seattle has played better linebackers and had success.

They haven't played anyone like Collins because there isn't anyone like him. His range and quickness are ridiculous, but his biggest thing is that when it's him and the runner in space, that guy is going down.

You realize Collins is slow. Runs a 4.64 40. Russell runs a 4.55 forty and practices against Bobby Wagner who runs a 4.46 40. We also,played against Clay Mathews and Luke Kuechly, both run faster than Collins. Bring it on.

And Bruce Irvin:
6'3"
245#
4.50 - 40

Jamie Collins:
6'3"
250#
4.64 - 40

Russell sees better than Collins in practice every day.

Boy you guys really like your defense.

Bottom line is that NE's defense is going to limit Wilson and that offense. They are not a terrible offense, but Green Bay exposed them. Most of those INT's were not physical errors on RW's part, but mental errors, he's not understanding what he's seeing. Belichick will capitalize on that big time. Collins is a really nice chess piece in that strategy.

Laloosh

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":166aiyln said:

Bottom line is that NE's defense is going to limit Wilson and that offense. They are not a terrible offense, but Green Bay exposed them. Most of those INT's were not physical errors on RW's part, but mental errors, he's not understanding what he's seeing. Belichick will capitalize on that big time. Collins is a really nice chess piece in that strategy.

Two picks off the hands of the receiver are hardly "mental errors" but let's assume that you aren't completely wrong about that. Allow your confidence to grow based on the worst performance (and simultaneously the best) in his short career. Assume that Green Bay's defense exposed him and he doesn't understand what he's seeing (go watch the game winning TD, result of a check out of a run play due to his read on the defense that he predicted he'd see before the drive).

While you're at the grocery store the day before the game, pick up a box of tissues and some antacids. You're going to need them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
tailgater":19ztvng4 said:
According to many on this board, SEA has the advantage at every single position. Pats have no chance! :shock: .

Nope, I've said many times over the past week that I'm concerned with our interior D-line, in not only getting pressure on Brady, but stopping the interior rush.

I'm also concerned that our WR's are going to have a hard time with BB and Revis, as guys like Doug and Kearse have a hard time with big press corners that can out muscle them.

But if you wanna go down the positional list, the Hawks do get the checkmark with most of the matchups........except for maybe QB, coach and WR's. Even those are debatable.

My opinion?

D Line: Hawks
LB's: Hawks
DB's: Hawks
RB: Hawks
O-Line: Draw
Special Teams: Draw
WR: Pats (including TE's)
Coach: slight edge to Belichick
QB: Draw (Russell is not Brady, but he's ever bit as effective)

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Laloosh":2rjrueb6 said:
50yrpatsfan":2rjrueb6 said:

Two picks off the hands of the receiver are hardly "mental errors" but let's assume that you aren't completely wrong about that. Allow your confidence to grow based on the worst performance (and simultaneously the best) in his short career. Assume that Green Bay's defense exposed him and he doesn't understand what he's seeing (go watch the game winning TD, result of a check out of a run play due to his read on the defense that he predicted he'd see before the drive).

While you're at the grocery store the day before the game, pick up a box of tissues and some antacids. You're going to need them.

Yeah but one of those was a QB error. There was only one that was on the receiver, the rest were all Wilson. For a guy I thought was an excellent game manager who played risk-free ball, that was shocking.

His late game heroics won't matter this week after he makes similar mistakes, cause the Pats special teams aren't going to gift wrap you another game.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
tailgater":orv1r2p4 said:
Laloosh":orv1r2p4 said:
tailgater":orv1r2p4 said:
Missing_Clink":orv1r2p4 said:
He's a good player. The Hawks will have to account for him. Russ faces faster LBs in practice every day though, I'm sure he will be A-OK

But they can't hit him in practice, can they? Not quite the same thing.

I like Collins. Lots of potential in him. Not sure he'll be the spy. My guess is Hightower will be. Collins is the better cover guy.

Not getting hit in practice doesn't seem like a very good qualifier for Collins being more difficult to face than some of the ridiculously talented defenses / line backers in the NFC (particularly those on his own team).

You sure that's the argument you want to stand on?

Geez, I guess I have to. How does facing his own defense that can't touch him show how he handles that type of talent / pressure? If you were talking his results against your corners, that different, but LBs who CAN'T TOUCH the guy in the red shirt?!

According to many on this board, SEA has the advantage at every single position. Pats have no chance! :shock:

It's a refreshing take frankly. Not many teams have the talent to back it up. SEA just might.

Well, then, you really don't have an argument to stand on then, do you?. You want to talk about talent? Watch Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman against Wilson in last season's NFCCG again. You want to talk about pressure? Watch Robert Quinn in our four slobberknockers against St Louis this season and last, one of which we lost. Watch the Cardinals front seven in our week 16 loss at home to them in 2013. THAT is talent. That is pressure. Collins is a nice little player but nothing special compared to the monsters that lurk in the NFC West. Honestly nothing about the physicality of NE on either side of the ball leaves any impression on me. These are arguments other, more physical teams have tried to make against us, and nothing we haven't seen and beaten before.

marko358

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":2jluptsk said:
There was only one that was on the receiver, the rest were all Wilson.

Did you even watch that game? Two passes hit Kearse in the hands and bounced off to a Packer.

EDIT: The 1st and last picks are what I'm referring to.

frosted21

Reaction score
Largent80":wfuahh7p said:
frosted21":wfuahh7p said:
Largent80":wfuahh7p said:

False.

Incorrect. You will see on Sunday.

Nothing I see on Sunday is going to change the opinion I have formed from multiple seasons of play by all involved parties. Wagner is clearly the best LB in this game. Collins, Wright, and Irvin all have their strengths and weaknesses, but Collins' strengths, IMO are greater than the other two's strengths and his weaknesses are lesser.

Collins is a great football player.

frosted21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":31pdnedl said:
frosted21":31pdnedl said:
Largent80":31pdnedl said:

False.

Collins is exceptionally talented - no way he's going to 'erase' Wilson though, that's asinine to say. Each player will get his.

Our point is our offense goes up against one of the most talented LB corps in the league in practice every day, who have at least 3-4 LB's just as fast and just as aggressive as Collins........as well as playing against as talented of LB corps in our own division every year. Throw in Kam.

So while Collins is very talented, it's not like he's some never been seen opponent that our offense won't know how to attack or deal with.

Very true, I wouldn't disagree with anything you said.

cesame

Reaction score
The Seahawks play in a division that boasts the most physical and athletic defenses in the NFL in Arizona, St Louis and Santa Clara

One guy named Jamie Collins doesn't mean anything

bigDhawk

Reaction score
frosted21":3imfsprc said:
...Collins is a great football player.

He might look great against AFC opposition, but he's maybe just above average by NFCW standards. He definitely doesn't start ahead of Bruce Irvin on our squad.

Strongside

Reaction score
The spy role will be used and is useful. However, the most important part of containing a mobile QB is lane discipline, edge rushers keeping contain and not getting sucked inside, and a pass rush that's aware of not getting to far up field. BB tends to almost go overboard on this which should give Wilson plenty of time to make plays with his arm. In the past few years pats coverage has been spotty so this would kill them but this year they are banking on being able to hold up a bit better. I' guess its more of a pick your poison. Can't stop everything.

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":hkqgtu4b said:
tailgater":hkqgtu4b said:
According to many on this board, SEA has the advantage at every single position. Pats have no chance! :shock: .

Nope, I've said many times over the past week that I'm concerned with our interior D-line, in not only getting pressure on Brady, but stopping the interior rush.

I'm also concerned that our WR's are going to have a hard time with BB and Revis, as guys like Doug and Kearse have a hard time with big press corners that can out muscle them.

But if you wanna go down the positional list, the Hawks do get the checkmark with most of the matchups........except for maybe QB, coach and WR's. Even those are debatable.

My opinion?

I think rather than just list them like that, there should be threads on each where that can be broken down. I'll give you an example using DL. Where the Hawks are strongest, which is at DE rushing the passer, New England has a pair of great pass protectors at OT. With your DL injuries in the interior, no real threat there either. I don't see Brady getting pressured. So how does your superiority at DL amount to an advantage?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":2dr571wp said:
Yeah but one of those was a QB error. There was only one that was on the receiver, the rest were all Wilson. For a guy I thought was an excellent game manager who played risk-free ball, that was shocking.

His late game heroics won't matter this week after he makes similar mistakes, cause the Pats special teams aren't going to gift wrap you another game.

It is shocking, which is why it's an aberration and you shouldn't be counting on Russell having a similar performance, or thinking GB "exposed" anything. They exposed the fact that if the Hawk's WR's decide to bounce balls off their hands and Russell forces throws..........two things that never happen then yeah you have a chance.

Before Sunday Russell had the highest QBR is post season history.

kearly

Reaction score
Jamie Collins is more or less the same kind of player that Conor Barwin was. Remember when the press thought Barwin would shut down Wilson a couple months ago? Yeah, didn't work out so well for them. Collins won't either with his 4.64 speed.

That's not to say Collins isn't good, but if you want to contain Wilson you are going to need Luke Kuechly type speed.

Wilson's ability to run vs. the Patriots slow front seven is the Seahawks biggest edge offensively in this game.

Laloosh

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":du5m5qgp said:
Sgt. Largent":du5m5qgp said:
tailgater":du5m5qgp said:

My opinion?

I think rather than just list them like that, there should be threads on each where that can be broken down. I'll give you an example using DL. Where the Hawks are strongest, which is at DE rushing the passer, New England has a pair of great pass protectors at OT. With your DL injuries in the interior, no real threat there either. I don't see Brady getting pressured. So how does your superiority at DL amount to an advantage?

Then start a thread. Nobody is opposed to discussing it. No issue w/ opposing teams' fans starting threads provided they're worthwhile.

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
kearly":hcojynif said:
Jamie Collins is more or less the same kind of player that Conor Barwin was. Remember when the press thought Barwin would shut down Wilson a couple months ago? Yeah, didn't work out so well for them. Collins won't either with his 4.64 speed.

That's not to say Collins isn't good, but if you want to contain Wilson you are going to need Luke Kuechly type speed.

Wilson's ability to run vs. the Patriots slow front seven is the Seahawks biggest edge offensively in this game.

Collins will have no trouble at all bringing down Wilson if it's the 2 of them in the open field. He's like a bald eagle corralling his prey, with an amazing closing burst, huge wingspan, and impossible to juke. He's a bad man out there.

marko358

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":1e2zbubc said:
Collins will have no trouble at all bringing down Wilson if it's the 2 of them in the open field. He's like a bald eagle corralling his prey, with an amazing closing burst, huge wingspan, and impossible to juke. He's a bad man out there.

Problem is that Wilson is a faster human being.