Jason Myers Signs with Seattle

Fade

Reaction score
Historically kickers regress to the mean after having a great year, but even if he is avg that is an improvement.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Rare that you get a second bite at the apple in this business. Great signing.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Once again I agree with Montana. Not that he can actually see this post since he blocked me :lol: :lol: :lol:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
daveyoung52":2ae5h2al said:
What the hell goes on at Jets ? Can LeVeon kick 50+ yard field goals too ?

Just clearing out the path for the Patriots to have an easy division again. Maybe Kraft spends his money bribing the other division owners into sucking.

Seymour

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1zm9gqt4 said:
daveyoung52":1zm9gqt4 said:
What the hell goes on at Jets ? Can LeVeon kick 50+ yard field goals too ?

Just clearing out the path for the Patriots to have an easy division again. Maybe Kraft spends his money bribing the other division owners into sucking.

Pretty sure Kraft would be best served spending less to no $$ for sucking in 2019.

:lol: :lol:

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
James in PA":1qg3pb0m said:
Seymour":1qg3pb0m said:
Good move but not saving money here (nor should they try!!). 4 years $15-16M I'm hearing!! :shock:

My question??? What the hell are we looking at when we let him go for $700K last year??? :roll:
I’m still all for it. One hard lesson we’ve learned in recent years: don’t try to take the cheap way out when it comes to the kicker. So many of these games go right down to the wire and are decided by a razor thin margin. It’s an undervalued position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saints just resigned their kicker for 4 million, their punter makes 3.5

We are getting an All-Pro punter dirt-cheap so it all balances out for us.

themunn

Reaction score
I don't know why anyone is mentioning how "this is a shame financially".
He was on a 1 year contract, so unless he performed more poorly with us than he did with the Jets, he'd still be a FA this year seeking a large contract, which he got.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
getnasty":wtvt01nv said:
I would have perfer to draft someone, much like we did at punter last year. .

Dickson is far from the norm. The Vikings took a kicker in the 5th round 18 spots after Dickson and ended up cutting him.

Zane Gonzalez, Harrison Butker and Jake Elliot were all drafted in the last 2 years and were cut by the team that initially drafted them. Butker and Elliot are now successful kickers but it shows you how much of a crapshoot the draft is at kicker.

Seems like s lot of money for a guy thats been shaky until last year.

Meh so was Hauschka -- some kickers just take a while to figure things out. New York is not an easy place to kick weather wise.

goseahawks2012

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I can't see how this is a good signing. We are paying close to 4 million dollars a year for a kicker who before last year made 81% of his kicks (the league average is 84%). This past year was an outlier at 92%. Do you guys really think signing any kicker for 4 million is a good idea when he's had exactly one year of above average performance? There is almost no chance he doesn't regress some this upcoming year and no kicker in the league is worth four million a year.

Seymour

Reaction score
goseahawks2012":4d64hgwo said:
I'm sorry but I can't see how this is a good signing. We are paying close to 4 million dollars a year for a kicker who before last year made 81% of his kicks (the league average is 84%). This past year was an outlier at 92%. Do you guys really think signing any kicker for 4 million is a good idea when he's had exactly one year of above average performance? There is almost no chance he doesn't regress some this upcoming year and no kicker in the league is worth four million a year.

There certainly is that risk he will revert back to average or less. They are not paying top $$ so that may be why we get an all pro at a discount.Time will tell.

kidhawk

Reaction score
goseahawks2012":2u5iloek said:

There's a couple of problems with this....first and foremost, we haven't even seen the contract yet. Just because a contract is 4 years / $16 million doesn't mean it's going to pay out $4 million per year.

Next issue is that there are several of kickers who make well over the $4 million per year mark and in fact 6 other teams have at least a $4 million cap hit for the position right now. I just looked it up and there are currently 7 other kickers in the league under contract for at least $4 million per year over their contracts

Finally, we need consistency at the position. We don't necessarily need a pro bowl kicker, but we need someone who can give us a solid kicking game for years to come instead of always having to bemoan the kicker every off season. Whether or not Myers will do this, nobody can say, but at least he's got a shot to pull it off.

Seymour

Reaction score
kidhawk":3kniyku5 said:
I can't say that I thought Myers was going to be a pro bowl kicker with the Jets when we released him, so I won't even try to claim that, but I was really wanting us to keep the younger kicker over Janikowski last year. SeaBass just felt like a stop gap and I was looking for someone we could get to fill the position for the long term. Financially it's a shame that we didn't hold onto him last season, but now I just hope he brings that success with him to the Seahawks.

Not only a stop gap, but also a stop run and stop trying to tackle with a zero percent chance of successful onside kick in 25 attempts. I'll bet there was not enough homework done on him to know he sucked that bad at onside kicks also. :idea:

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
goseahawks2012":39q1iwbc said:

The Saints just resigned their kicker for 4 million. https://www.nola.com/saints/2019/03/wil-lutz-says-extension-with-saints-is-extremely-gratifying.html

We also have a punter on a rookie contract.

Why should we not invest in special teams?

If we had some retread kicker you guys would complain we don't take the position seriously.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":37wajjod said:
kidhawk":37wajjod said:
I can't say that I thought Myers was going to be a pro bowl kicker with the Jets when we released him, so I won't even try to claim that, but I was really wanting us to keep the younger kicker over Janikowski last year. SeaBass just felt like a stop gap and I was looking for someone we could get to fill the position for the long term. Financially it's a shame that we didn't hold onto him last season, but now I just hope he brings that success with him to the Seahawks.

Not only a stop gap, but also a stop run and stop trying to tackle with a zero percent chance of successful onside kick in 25 attempts. I'll bet there was not enough homework done on him to know he sucked that bad at onside kicks also. :idea:

I give him (and anyone else really) a pass at onside kicks for last season as the rule change made them nearly impossible to accomplish when they were expected in end of game situations. With that said though, I pretty much agree with the rest of it.

I just really don't think age is a quality I'm looking for in a kicker. I wouldn't cut a kicker for age, but I certainly wouldn't be shopping for an old kicker to start fresh with my team.

chris98251

Reaction score
He's young and improved, he may waffle a bit back and forth but we have played enough kicker roulette since Haushka left.

Unless you want to bring back Walsh, I am sure he can be had for cheap.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
If Myers can keep up the form from last year then this will be a bargain. My fear is if he regresses to the player the got cut by the jags and was released by ourselves. If last year was a flash in the pan we have overpaid spectacularly. Fingers crossed.

Seymour

Reaction score
kidhawk":1f486u1f said:
Seymour":1f486u1f said:
kidhawk":1f486u1f said:

I give him (and anyone else really) a pass at onside kicks for last season as the rule change made them nearly impossible to accomplish when they were expected in end of game situations. With that said though, I pretty much agree with the rest of it.

I just really don't think age is a quality I'm looking for in a kicker. I wouldn't cut a kicker for age, but I certainly wouldn't be shopping for an old kicker to start fresh with my team.

I agree with last seasons lineup change making it tougher. But his record went back like 7 straight years without 1 unsuccessful onside kick! So point being our odds went from bad to zilch and we actually tried a couple. I don't mind giving this a shot, we've tossed too many close games the last couple of years and even average is improvement.

kidhawk

Reaction score
when figuring how much Myers is worth, let's all remember that Janikowski was paid over $2 million last season.