Jason Myers Signs with Seattle

Vesuve

Reaction score
Seymour":35qvk5le said:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/13/seahawks-add-kicker-jason-myers/

All-Pro kicker Jason Myers announced today that he’s leaving the Jets, but he didn’t say where he’s going. Now we know: Seattle.

Dianna Russini of ESPN reports that Myers will sign with the Seahawks on a four-year contract worth a little less than $4 million a year.

Myers was 33-of-36 on field goals and 30-of-33 on extra points for the Jets last season, and he should be an upgrade in Seattle over Sebastian Janikowski, who was showing his age last season. Myers previously signed with Seattle last year, but he lost a kicking competition to Janikowski in training camp. The Seahawks clearly wish they had gone with Myers last year, and now they’re correcting that mistake.

The 27-year-old Myers had a career year with the Jets after spending three years with the Jaguars, and there’s certainly a possibility that he’ll regress in 2019. But he should help Seattle improve its disappointing special teams.

I'll never understand how Seabass won the spot.

sutz

Reaction score
Vesuve":1a3xqgoc said:
I'll never understand how Seabass won the spot.
I don't think he "won" the spot so much as he was awarded it. The team had just come off of a season with a bad kicker that probably cost us a couple of games, and they apparently felt that Sebass's experience outweighed his physical limitations. Obviously, it didn't work out as well as we had hoped it would and we can point to a couple of games where, once again, a better kicker might have made the difference.

Many of us fans agreed with you then, and are happy now to see Myers back with the team, though he may not show as well as he did in NJ. Hopefully he meets our needs for the next few years and we can forgo the annual "who's gonna kick for us" BS. Would be nice to return to the days when we're not all white knuckling the arms of our seats when a kicker trots onto the field.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Good to know we'll have a young kicker on a long term deal. Janikowski wasn't horrible, but he's 40 years old, out of shape, and not a capable tackler. I recall Walsh costing us 3 games (Wash, ATL, ARI) in '17, Seabass cost us 2 (Den, SF) It's time we had a reliable kicker, who's not a rental. Hopefully Myers will be our best kicker since Hausch-Money.