Jeremy Lane Benched??

kidhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":11g68jfq said:
I'm sure he's likely being offerred up in trade talks as the trade deadline approaches.

I can't say I hold any ill will towards him but if the team can unload his salary, it's all good.

I supect he's as good as gone.

Even if they trade him, it's just a wash as far as the cap is concerned. We really aren't "unloading" anything. We owe him about $2.5 million for the remainder of this season. We also still have $2.5 million of dead money for the next 2 years of signing bonus which was pro-rated. Financially it's a wash. We won't save cap room or lose cap room this season. His contract was designed to have an out after this season. His next 2 years he's due $6 million per season and he only has $2.5 million in dead cap space.

So basically, trading him is a wash and just moves the cap loss from next year to this year (which is a positive, but definitely not a true salary dump). It also assumes a team willing to take on his salary which with his recent showing may be a hard sell.

I expect to see Lane as a Seahawk until the end of the year. I don't expect to see him back for next year.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Just being a knucklehead. He's still a quality DB,so we shouldn't think about trading unless it has value (position need, draft capital, cap room). Depth doesn't hurt, considering how players randomly get hurt. Definitely have no worries about how the locker room is handling it.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Word is that DeShawn Shead is getting close to returning. We'll have to make room for him on the roster. Right now my vote would be he takes Lane's spot.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
We 12s sure are a fickle bunch..... I guess the old Seinfeld joke is true we're really only rooting for the laundry....

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Whining like a bitch about it on Twitter's costing him hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions.

Idiot. Keep your ego in check, Lane.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Here's an idea Lane.............PLAY BETTER. Imagine that. Must be so rough to be a multi-millionaire playing a sport. You got beat out, man up and take your spot back.

RussB

Reaction score
It was only a matter of time before coleman took his nickel job. When lane got thrown out against green bay it was a blessing in disguise, coleman played very well that game. I knew if he got more chances he would take lanes job because lane hasnt been doing good the last 2 years and has only been starting because he got paid.

SirTed

Reaction score
I've always liked Lane, and I still do. I get why he'd be mad, but at the same time, let's look at this story from a different, more positive angle -

Justin Coleman is playing very well! Lane's been a little banged up, and this dude came in and balled. Nobody is saying that Lane won't get shot at getting back on the field, and earning that nickle spot back.

Maybe Lane is just as valuable as he always was to the FO, but maybe it's more about the play of this other guy. Less about a benching, and more about a promotion. Semantics, maybe - but it matters to me.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":3adexey3 said:
jammerhawk":3adexey3 said:
I'm sure he's likely being offerred up in trade talks as the trade deadline approaches.

I can't say I hold any ill will towards him but if the team can unload his salary, it's all good.

Even if they trade him, it's just a wash as far as the cap is concerned. We really aren't "unloading" anything. We owe him about $2.5 million for the remainder of this season. We also still have $2.5 million of dead money for the next 2 years of signing bonus which was pro-rated. Financially it's a wash. We won't save cap room or lose cap room this season. His contract was designed to have an out after this season. His next 2 years he's due $6 million per season and he only has $2.5 million in dead cap space.

So basically, trading him is a wash and just moves the cap loss from next year to this year (which is a positive, but definitely not a true salary dump). It also assumes a team willing to take on his salary which with his recent showing may be a hard sell.

I expect to see Lane as a Seahawk until the end of the year. I don't expect to see him back for next year.

So if we move him this year and someone takes his salary we save $2.5M on salary and spend $2.5M on dead cap so the net effect for THIS year is zero but we saved $2.5M next year. Overall saving $2.5M

If we keep him this year we spend the $2.5M in salary AND we owe the $2.5M next year in dead cap assuming we cut him then

So there is a $2.5M saving to be had for his salary. For the Cap this year it is unchanged and next year we realize the saving -- that is a Cap positive move

raisethe3

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2ci3326a said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/923252713256771584[/tweet]

This is good, because I want to get something in return for him.

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":126r1xjd said:
kidhawk":126r1xjd said:
jammerhawk":126r1xjd said:

So if we move him this year and someone takes his salary we save $2.5M on salary and spend $2.5M on dead cap so the net effect for THIS year is zero but we saved $2.5M next year. Overall saving $2.5M

If we keep him this year we spend the $2.5M in salary AND we owe the $2.5M next year in dead cap assuming we cut him then

So there is a $2.5M saving to be had for his salary. For the Cap this year it is unchanged and next year we realize the saving -- that is a Cap positive move

Cutting players is always cap positive (unless they are in the final year of a deal) if you look far enough into the future. The point is that it isn't saving us any cap space this year. With us currently sitting at about $2.2 million, we aren't going to be able to really do much with that roster spot. The positive to the trade isn't really financial, it becomes whether we can get value for him now to make up for the depth we lose by trading him. That is solely dependent upon whether or not the Front office feels Shead will be able to come back soon at 100%. If they do then a trade would make sense, if they aren't sure about Shead, then it wouldn't make sense right now. My whole point is too many people argue that we need to be rid of him for the financial gain, but in reality, he's worth what he's getting right now but he won't be worth that next year, considering the players that are on the field currently playing well. This doesn't mean a deal is off the table, it just means that it would be for other reasons than the cap.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":18tyi2ld said:
His command of the english language is only slightly better than his play.

Speaking as a 58 year old who always fully spells out every word in a text (and includes proper punctuation), would you like to borrow my cane? It sounds like you need to shake it at the world while yelling "Get off my damn lawn!" :les:

I don't twitter, but I believe the 144 character limit has caused a new paradigm to develop when commenting over social media. Especially the media with the limited character fields.

chris98251

Reaction score
Griffin is more physical and a better tackler already, he contests passes not tackle after the catch, in the slot Coleman is almost like glue, sure some catches are made buy YAC is very minimal typically, with lane after the injury his ability to stop guys was lacking and he was giving space as well.

He was benched was a strong word, I think more he was not the starter with the way we rotate our guys in and out, he may now be benched however after his tweet.

The one thing he did still do well at was on Special teams as a gunner, but it appears we have also replaced him there.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Always compete.

Until you get beat out. Then whine about it on Twitter.

If they benched him, it's likely to keep him healthy for a trade.

Seymour

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":4k9iocb1 said:

Any creditable sources on this other than the guessmaster general?

That said...I hope so (on 3 teams interested)

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Wow, can we make more of a mountain out of this molehill? What the hell, people?

Often people tweet a certain way because it sounds cool or ethnic or whatever. It's common practice and not necessarily an indication of mental acuity. I'm a grammar Nazi and even I can understand this.

Don't jump on guys who are pissed off if they get benched. Jump on the guys who don't. Always Compete means you play to start, and you're disappointed if you are not starting, and even more so if you are on the inactive list. He's been working hard to get on the field and he's frustrated that he didn't make it.

Was it particularly wise? No. Do people sometimes do unwise things in the heat of the moment? All the time.

If you want athletes to share their feelings on social media, you can't pile on them when they say something you personally don't approve of. That's the fastest way to shut them up or make them quit social media.

Show some understanding, or at least make the slightest attempt to see things from his point of view. He's a competitor who wants to compete, and he's frustrated that he doesn't get a chance he thinks he deserves.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2btu8l6o said:
Wow, can we make more of a mountain out of this molehill? What the hell, people?

Often people tweet a certain way because it sounds cool or ethnic or whatever. It's common practice and not necessarily an indication of mental acuity. I'm a grammar Nazi and even I can understand this.

Don't jump on guys who are pissed off if they get benched. Jump on the guys who don't. Always Compete means you play to start, and you're disappointed if you are not starting, and even more so if you are on the inactive list. He's been working hard to get on the field and he's frustrated that he didn't make it.

Was it particularly wise? No. Do people sometimes do unwise things in the heat of the moment? All the time.

If you want athletes to share their feelings on social media, you can't pile on them when they say something you personally don't approve of. That's the fastest way to shut them up or make them quit social media.

Show some understanding, or at least make the slightest attempt to see things from his point of view. He's a competitor who wants to compete, and he's frustrated that he doesn't get a chance he thinks he deserves.

Seriously....Also I don't see any references in this thread about the joke in the movie Friday this is mimicing "Craig got fired on his day off" But people like to be angry online. Thats just what they do.

massari

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":1kdw8n2i said:
Hard to believe he has any trade value at this point. Would trade him for a conditional 7th if possible (for cap room purposes), and sign Maxwell/Burley. Releasing him saves nothing cap wise.

Latest posts