Jeremy Lane Benched??

SeaChat

Reaction score
I think that if Jeremy Lane did in fact get benched, it wasn't so much because of his poor performance, although he has been battling injuries this season, it was because his backup Shaquill Griffin, showed everyone that he was ready for prime time, in a really big way with his performances on the field when he was asked to fill in for Jeremy.
Pete and the Seahawks preach to the players and fans, that it is all about competition in Seattle, and that anyone's position is up for grabs, if another player proves that they can consistently do a better job.

Shaquill, in my humble assessment is going to prove Richard Sherman right in his predictions, when he says that Shaquill Griffin, may already be a better player than he is, or if not, will be if given the opportunity to prove himself on the team. When Shaquill has been given the opportunity to show us what he's made of, he has done nothing but impress everyone, including Jeremy Lane, if he was to get honest with himeself and all of us. I would think that if Jeremy really wanted what was best for the Seahawks that he would want Shaquill to be elevated to the position he has fairly earned and deserves.

Jeremy needs to quit worrying about being benched and get his eye back on the prize, they didn't cut him, they only demoted him to Shaquill's backup, a role reversal if you will. If he gets himself right, when his next opportunity to show his goods is presented, he could conceivably earn his spot back, or at very least give other teams looking for talent in hs position something to think about.

There was a play this past Sunday against the Giants, when Shaquill, in my mind cinched his spot on the team, when he pursued the runaway Giant that was headed for a touchdown, when everyone else was beat, and in his refusal to give up, Shaquill slew the mighty Giant, and in doing so helped our defense hold them to a field goal instead of a touchdown.
I think it might help everyone, including Jeremy Lane, to recall, a few months ago, the Seahawks were shopping him, Jermaine Kearse, and Alex Collins. Jeremy was the only one to survive that process, in part because they didn't get any takers, offering anthing substantial enough to make the trade worthwhile.

As much as I appreciate the contributions that Jeremy has made to the team, there is that part of me that wishes they could have gotten the same trade put together for Sheldon Richardson that they made for Jermaine Kearse.
I've always felt that Jermaine Kearse, truly belonged in Seattle with the Seahawks, and still hold out some hope that circumstances will bring him back down the road a piece. Jermaine is a product of the Pacific Northwest and gave a lot of kids hope, in this part of the country, that they could also one day play for the Seattle Seahawks, if they dedicated themselves. That and the fact that love him or hate him, Jermaine always managed to pull off the craziest catches when we needed him to the most.

Anyone who has an eye for talent knew that Shaquill Griffin, was destined to be bumped up to first string, from the first time he took the field, talent is talent, and this kid is no diamond in the rough, this kid is a shining diamond who will only get better as time goes on. I worry about injury prospects, as I do with any new player but so far he's been a regular energizer bunny, he takes a licken and keeps on ticken.
Welcome to the big time Shaquill, it appears you are hear to stay for a while. Go Seahawks!!!

massari

Reaction score
pacific101":1h0id199 said:
I think that if Jeremy Lane did in fact get benched, it wasn't so much because of his poor performance, although he has been battling injuries this season, it was because his backup Shaquill Griffin, showed everyone that he was ready for prime time, in a really big way with his performances on the field when he was asked to fill in for Jeremy.
Pete and the Seahawks preach to the players and fans, that it is all about competition in Seattle, and that anyone's position is up for grabs, if another player proves that they can consistently do a better job.

Shaquill, in my humble assessment is going to prove Richard Sherman right in his predictions, when he says that Shaquill Griffin, may already be a better player than he is, or if not, will be if given the opportunity to prove himself on the team. When Shaquill has been given the opportunity to show us what he's made of, he has done nothing but impress everyone, including Jeremy Lane, if he was to get honest with himeself and all of us. I would think that if Jeremy really wanted what was best for the Seahawks that he would want Shaquill to be elevated to the position he has fairly earned and deserves.

Jeremy needs to quit worrying about being benched and get his eye back on the prize, they didn't cut him, they only demoted him to Shaquill's backup, a role reversal if you will. If he gets himself right, when his next opportunity to show his goods is presented, he could conceivably earn his spot back, or at very least give other teams looking for talent in hs position something to think about.

There was a play this past Sunday against the Giants, when Shaquill, in my mind cinched his spot on the team, when he pursued the runaway Giant that was headed for a touchdown, when everyone else was beat, and in his refusal to give up, Shaquill slew the mighty Giant, and in doing so helped our defense hold them to a field goal instead of a touchdown.
I think it might help everyone, including Jeremy Lane, to recall, a few months ago, the Seahawks were shopping him, Jermaine Kearse, and Alex Collins. Jeremy was the only one to survive that process, in part because they didn't get any takers, offering anthing substantial enough to make the trade worthwhile.

As much as I appreciate the contributions that Jeremy has made to the team, there is that part of me that wishes they could have gotten the same trade put together for Sheldon Richardson that they made for Jermaine Kearse.
I've always felt that Jermaine Kearse, truly belonged in Seattle with the Seahawks, and still hold out some hope that circumstances will bring him back down the road a piece. Jermaine is a product of the Pacific Northwest and gave a lot of kids hope in this part of the country, that they could also one day play for the Seattle Seahawks, if they dedicated themselves. That and the fact that love him or hate him, Jermaine always managed to pull off the craziest catches when we needed him to the most.

Anyone who has an eye for talent knew that Shaquill Griffin, was destined to be bumped up to first string, from the first time he took the field, talent is talent, and this kid is no diamond in the rough, this kid is a shining diamond who will only get better as time goes on. I worry about injury prospects, as I do with any new player but so far he's been a regular energizer bunny, he takes a licken and keeps on ticken.
Welcome to the big time Shaquill, it appears you are hear to stay for a while. Go Seahawks!!!
Cliffs?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
massari":1err3746 said:
KitsapGuy":1err3746 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/923252713256771584[/tweet]
Hard to believe he has any trade value at this point. Would trade him for a conditional 7th if possible (for cap room purposes), and sign Maxwell/Burley. Releasing him saves nothing cap wise.

If we do trade Lane, it'd be for cap space relief first, and conditional picks second.

With Shead coming back in a couple weeks, having the 2M pro-rated cap space off the books would go a long way towards getting another tackle. As of now all we can afford is vet minimum contracts, and for a tackle? Might as well just play the scrubs on the practice squad.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":k8kp15gy said:
massari":k8kp15gy said:
KitsapGuy":k8kp15gy said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/923252713256771584[/tweet]
Hard to believe he has any trade value at this point. Would trade him for a conditional 7th if possible (for cap room purposes), and sign Maxwell/Burley. Releasing him saves nothing cap wise.

If we do trade Lane, it'd be for cap space relief first, and conditional picks second.

With Shead coming back in a couple weeks, having the 2M pro-rated cap space off the books would go a long way towards getting another tackle. As of now all we can afford is vet minimum contracts, and for a tackle? Might as well just play the scrubs on the practice squad.

We don't get any real cap relief by trading Lane. What we do is forward next years cap hit (assuming he's cut in the offseason) to this year. He has almost the same amount of salary due as we'd eat with the pro-rated signing bonus.

Basically trading him speeds up the cap hit freeing us up NEXT year, and getting us some (probably minimal) compensation instead of just letting him walk. We aren't really seeing any cap saving this year by trading him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Since SB49, Lane has turned into Kelly Jennings 2.0, IMO. He can't cover or tackle. WR seem to have big catches against him.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Madrid Hawk":1h7i27cs said:
The last time Lane was any good was in the Super Bowl that the Hawks gifted the hated Patriots. I still wish he had just gone down after making that interception. Losing him and Avril were what allowed the hated Patriots to get back into the game. Tharold Simon...................just............no.

Not crazy about the tweets, either. That is definitely NOT a "team first" mentality.

Which is too bad. I always kind of liked him and was happy when the Hawks re-upped him. But time, and the game, have moved on.

Losing Lane on that play was the reason we lost the Super Bowl. Nothing more, nothing less. The Patriots have no comeback with him in there.

Also in agreement that was the last time he was good.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":23aai2bi said:
Shanegotyou11":23aai2bi said:
Welp here comes the fans with their cane.

He used social media as do 98% of people on here and athletes as well. I don't use social media except twitter on hawks and mariners mainly. He is obviously emotional and says things. I just don't get fans who turn so quickly on their team, especially when he didn't do a lot wrong.

Well if someone goes on social media outlets and starts talking bad about their role at their job knowing that customers, coworkers and bosses see it, then you probably can expect some heat your way of some kind. Its really not that difficult to just be quiet and enjoy where you are in life and what you have been given.

I didn't see he liked being a cowboy. Either way ppl turn on ppl so fast

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vpsixv0 said:
Shanegotyou11":1vpsixv0 said:

He used social media as do 98% of people on here and athletes as well. I don't use social media except twitter on hawks and mariners mainly. He is obviously emotional and says things. I just don't get fans who turn so quickly on their team, especially when he didn't do a lot wrong.

Because that's the beauty of social media, it's a social barometer for common sense.

If someone says something that is;

- selfish
- dumb
- untruthful
- dishonest
- knee jerk

Then there's this BIG majority of people to tell you that what you just said probably wasn't a good thing to say, or wrong, or dishonest, or any of the other things I listed above.

Besides, it's a two way street. Lane, or any famous person on social media should know by now that ANYTHING they put out there for public consumption might be met with negativity. It's not our job as fans to just blindly accept or be OK with anything our team or players puts out there. That's not a good fan, that's a homer.

Who is being a homer? I say what I think. I think most fans have the biggest knee jerk reactions. We constantly flip flop on what we think, what we say and do. I mean most the fans are here should of stopped watching after green bay loss.

I'm at fault at times too.

chris98251

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":16mtd3h6 said:
Sgt. Largent":16mtd3h6 said:
Shanegotyou11":16mtd3h6 said:

Because that's the beauty of social media, it's a social barometer for common sense.

- selfish
- dumb
- untruthful
- dishonest
- knee jerk

Then there's this BIG majority of people to tell you that what you just said probably wasn't a good thing to say, or wrong, or dishonest, or any of the other things I listed above.

Besides, it's a two way street. Lane, or any famous person on social media should know by now that ANYTHING they put out there for public consumption might be met with negativity. It's not our job as fans to just blindly accept or be OK with anything our team or players puts out there. That's not a good fan, that's a homer.

Who is being a homer? I say what I think. I think most fans have the biggest knee jerk reactions. We constantly flip flop on what we think, what we say and do. I mean most the fans are here should of stopped watching after green bay loss.

This board does not flip flop, most here will take their position to the grave and argue it till the Horse is a dust pile due to it being beaten. Suggest you do some reading. Bevell threads anyone, how about Hasselbeck threads, or Holmgren and his failures on defense, Steve is waiting your opinion somewhere.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I recall a lot of people here unhappy with Lane's play so quite some time now so I wouldn't consider the reactions here fickle. In a way it's kind of nice seeing some new blood come in and replace a member of the 2013/2014 core simply by being better.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":1h9pa0ha said:
This board does not flip flop, most here will take their position to the grave and argue it till the Horse is a dust pile due to it being beaten. Suggest you do some reading. Bevell threads anyone, how about Hasselbeck threads, or Holmgren and his failures on defense, Steve is waiting your opinion somewhere.

Not me!

I recycle mine. :mrgreen:

51wyXHJt7YL AC UL320 SR316320

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2kcw2g24 said:
Sgt. Largent":2kcw2g24 said:
Shanegotyou11":2kcw2g24 said:

- selfish
- dumb
- untruthful
- dishonest
- knee jerk

I didn't say you were being a homer.

I'm saying that fans that are incapable of criticizing their players, and going even further and CHASTISING other fans who do so is the textbook definition of a homer.

Lane did a dumb thing and aired out his anger on social media.........and fans are letting him know he messed up. Not sure why that shocks people.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":8hx6ocgc said:

I'm saying that fans that are incapable of criticizing their players, and going even further and CHASTISING other fans who do so is the textbook definition of a homer.

Lane did a dumb thing and aired out his anger on social media.........and fans are letting him know he messed up. Not sure why that shocks people.

So calling out another human being for criticizing a person they don't know for unclear reasons is now being a homer. I thought is was being the voice of compassion and reason. Who are we to sit in judgement of people we barely know who's intentions can only be inferred.

I don't know any NFL player that doesn't work his tail off at his job. Certainly far harder than most of us. If he fails it's usually because he's just not as good at his job as the other guys. But it's rarely because he's not trying his best. Why would anyone criticize someone that's doing his best? Why does that seem like a reasonable thing to do?
It's the NFL, if you continue to fail at your job, you'll be gone soon enough.

Judge not, lest you be judged yourself.

Lane sent out some cryptic messages on social media and we blasted him for it. We don't even know what he meant for heaven's sake. People need to get their facts straight before rushing to judgement. It's fine to query, " I wonder what he meant?" It's another to start screaming at him to quit complaining and play better.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3p3kcehp said:
Lane sent out some cryptic messages on social media and we blasted him for it. We don't even know what he meant for heaven's sake. People need to get their facts straight before rushing to judgement. It's fine to query, " I wonder what he meant?" It's another to start screaming at him to quit complaining and play better.

Cryptic? Lol, I think it was pretty clear, he lost his starting job and might even be inactive this week.

As Lane's finding out, social media is not the best place to air your grievances and complain.

And for the third time, I'm not calling people who want all the information first before making a judgement. You guys keep applying scenarios that AREN'T what I'm defining as a homer.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":37dabmwn said:

Seems pretty clear to me what you are saying. Why would someone drop the first part of your definition unless they just want to argue?

I would also agree that is a clear and accurate definition IMO, and the first part is most important.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2uqfwj7l said:
Sgt. Largent":2uqfwj7l said:

Seems pretty clear to me what you are saying. Why would someone drop the first part of your definition unless they just want to argue?

I would also agree that is a clear and accurate definition IMO, and the first part is most important.

Because that's what people do when they want to continue to argue their point. They go the obtuse route and create another scenario that doesn't even apply to the original comment in order to take another lap around the track.

Good times.

Latest posts