Jets Trade Draft Picks

mikeak

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":xgfls3ha said:
Honestly this sounds about as bad as the 9ers/Bears trade last year where the Bears gave up 2017 3rd and 4th round picks along with a 2018 3rd round pick to move up one spot for Trubisky.

The Colts have proven to be a horribly run franchise since Peyton moved on, so while I see this trade as a "fleecing," I don't expect the Colts to do much with the picks.

Couldn't disagree more.

Bears should have known 49ers were not picking Trubisky - nobody out there expected that to happen. NOBODY

EVERYBODY has been expecting Buffalo to trade up - they were looking at that

This is a good QB draft you can't just say "third QB" -- the question is - is the draft three starting NFL QB's deep? Many think so -- then moving up into a top three is a big deal

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
mikeak":4a1we52a said:
JGfromtheNW":4a1we52a said:
Honestly this sounds about as bad as the 9ers/Bears trade last year where the Bears gave up 2017 3rd and 4th round picks along with a 2018 3rd round pick to move up one spot for Trubisky.

The Colts have proven to be a horribly run franchise since Peyton moved on, so while I see this trade as a "fleecing," I don't expect the Colts to do much with the picks.

Couldn't disagree more.

Bears should have known 49ers were not picking Trubisky - nobody out there expected that to happen. NOBODY

EVERYBODY has been expecting Buffalo to trade up - they were looking at that

This is a good QB draft you can't just say "third QB" -- the question is - is the draft three starting NFL QB's deep? Many think so -- then moving up into a top three is a big deal

I understand where you're coming from and understand the move, but I could never get behind giving up so much draft capital unless it was for a potential blue-chip QB, which I only see in Rosen and Darnold. Even then, Rosen has character concerns and Darnold has admitted to having confidence issues - something that could compound his turnover issues when he gets to the next level. I don't see how Allen could be a day 1 starter, which puts him more in the realm of the Baker Mayfield/Lamar Jackson tier in that they're QBs that are going to need to be groomed or considered a project.

Obviously any pick can be a bust, but I see these moves as a reflection of desperation to pick a QB, rather than a reflection of the actual talent offered by these guys. Of course, none of this happens in a vacuum, though. It's highly possible that if the Jets didn't make this move, the Bills, Broncos or Cards could/would have done something similar before them and then they'd be in no mans land when it comes to trying to get one of the top 3 QBs to fall to them.

I guess I just think this is a bad long-term strategy for building your team. I'd rather fill necessary holes, which obviously the Jets have picking at #6, and take a guy that MIGHT be able to come in during their rookie season, but most likely will be the realistic long term answer 1-2 years down the road.

mikeak

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1oqwx0xd said:
I understand where you're coming from and understand the move, but I could never get behind giving up so much draft capital unless it was for a potential blue-chip QB, .

Agree 100%

I am not actually even judging the QBs -- but if the Jets believe this is a blue-chip talent for 3 QBs then I understand the move. I must believe they think so based on what they gave up. Time will tell if they are right or wrong

So I guess I am judging the move based on their belief. Now separately you can discuss if they are right / wrong in that belief

JGfromtheNW":1oqwx0xd said:
Obviously any pick can be a bust, but I see these moves as a reflection of desperation to pick a QB, rather than a reflection of the actual talent offered by these guys.

Very possible -- when you have knee jerk reactions from owners then I think you push GMs and Coaches into a make quick decision process.

Worst case they are wrong and they lose and they get fired
Do nothing - they get fired
Succeed - keep their jobs

issue is for fan approach 1 will set the team back for a few more years

chris98251

Reaction score
QB's that have the it factor that step up their game when it's crunch time, don't care about measurables, if they can throw 90 yards, none of that matters if they don't have that IT factor. We have seen all the specimans time and time again fail where also rans so to speak, Brady, Montana, Wilson, Rodgers and many others succeed. Yes Rodgers is in there because he dropped to the end of the first and was a after thought pick almost.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Hey guys, Ask the Eagles if trading up for Wentz was a bad idea? they somehow figured out a way to field a competative team around him in year two and even won the dang superbowl with him on the sidelines.

You have to have a QB. If you don't, why even bother.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3raouzvh said:
Hey guys, Ask the Eagles if trading up for Wentz was a bad idea? they somehow figured out a way to field a competative team around him in year two and even won the dang superbowl with him on the sidelines.

You have to have a QB. If you don't, why even bother.

I get what you're saying, but find it hilariously ironic that Foles, a somewhat journeyman vet, is the one who lead them to their SB win. But if we want to play that game we can do it. Ask the Jets what happened the last time they gave up a bunch of draft capital to move up and take a QB early.

Here's a hint: he's best remembered in the NFL by the "butt fumble."

Only other recent big trade I can remember for a team to move into the top 5 and pick a QB was the Skins/Rams trade for RG3. In retrospect, that was a complete waste of draft capital, especially considering they drafted Kirk Cousins in the same draft. Skins gave up 3 years worth of 1st rounders plus another pick IIRC.

RG3 was somewhat understandable considering it was fresh off Newton's rookie year in which he set the league on fire with his dual threat talents. I still remember plenty of folks questioning the move, though. 3 years worth of 1st rounders is A LOT to give up.