Would Bear trade #1 for three 1st-round picks?

toffee

Reaction score
Would you do it? Trade #1 overall pick and opportunity to draft Caleb Williams for 3 first-round picks? That way they will have FOUR first-round picks and the potential of unloading Fields.

NoGain

Reaction score
The title on this is misleading. It gives the impression the Bears have traded their #1 pick, or are in serious talks of doing so. Or at least that's what made me click the topic. They aren't or haven't have they? This is just pure poster speculation, no?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Caleb Williams footwork is so elite. His throw on the run is elite. His pocket presence and awareness is elite. His arm strength is elite. CJ Stroud had better weapons this year so I don't expect a repeat, but giving up on Caleb Williams is nonsense.

I know it's not much of a stretch to call the #1 pick a hit, but -- this guy's the real deal and the obsession with his crying after his college career ended in that UW game is stupid.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Caleb Williams footwork is so elite. His throw on the run is elite. His pocket presence and awareness is elite. His arm strength is elite. CJ Stroud had better weapons this year so I don't expect a repeat, but giving up on Caleb Williams is nonsense.

I know it's not much of a stretch to call the #1 pick a hit, but -- this guy's the real deal and the obsession with his crying after his college career ended in that UW game is stupid.

All this was said about Lawrence. Is he all that elite in the nfl, not really.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
All this was said about Lawrence. Is he all that elite in the nfl, not really.
Lawrence has been fine in the NFL and Williams is the better prospect.

I'm not predicting Caleb to be Mahomes, but as far as guys who will have a long career and help their teams compete? Absolutely. I'm not as high on Caleb as say last year with Stroud, but he's clearly a level above all the other QBs.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
The title on this is misleading. It gives the impression the Bears have traded their #1 pick, or are in serious talks of doing so. Or at least that's what made me click the topic. They aren't or haven't have they? This is just pure poster speculation, no?
And you are RIGHT.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Lawrence was absolutely projected as the next Trevor, as was Tua…

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Caleb is a better prospect than Lawrence.

If I'm John, I would give up three #1's for him without hesitation.
Three 1sts? I'm struggling to justify that much for any QB in my mind. I didn't watch Caleb except for the game against UW (was not particularly impressed but that's pretty much how I always feel watching college players, so it means nothing).

But three 1sts on a team that needs LBs, Safeties, IOL, etc., etc.? I don't know. He'd have to start basically tomorrow and we don't have an O-Line that can block for him right now (hope Lucas's knee is better!) and right now not much of a run-game to support him.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Three 1sts? I'm struggling to justify that much for any QB in my mind. I didn't watch Caleb except for the game against UW (was not particularly impressed but that's pretty much how I always feel watching college players, so it means nothing).

But three 1sts on a team that needs LBs, Safeties, IOL, etc., etc.? I don't know. He'd have to start basically tomorrow and we don't have an O-Line that can block for him right now (hope Lucas's knee is better!) and right now not much of a run-game to support him.
Yes. It's an easy call. Caleb is a franchise changer.

Would you give up 3 picks for Mahomes or Josh Allen? I think I know the answer.

Rat

Reaction score
Yes, no brainer if they're that stupid, but they traded down from 1 to 9 last year for less than that, and that was with a much-less touted QB prospect at the top. No way they wouldn't want something significant for this year also. Without the second rounder, they'll probably ask for someone like DK or Woolen, if not Spoon. I'd counter with maybe Mafe and a 4th.

Last edited:

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Yes. It's an easy call. Caleb is a franchise changer.

Would you give up 3 picks for Mahomes or Josh Allen? I think I know the answer.
Except I KNOW Mahomes or Allen are NFL level star players.

Asking "Would you give up 3 firsts for College Player who Random Internet Person says is Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen" isn't the same as asking "Would you give up 3 1sts for the Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen as they currently exist in the NFL after being given time to develop".

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
toffee's nonexpert evaluation of Celab Williams:
  1. He is not the second coming of Mahomes, he is however the second coming of Russell Wilson. These two are separated by 1 3/8", Wilson was 5' 11 5/8", Williams 6'1". Both QB's claim to fame was how they improvised after pocket breaks down, and they both kept thinking of throwing even when they were on the run.
  2. He shall be insufferable off the field, and again, just like Wilson.
  3. As a 5 star recruit, he could go to any college. He picked Oklahoma, probably influenced by the success of Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray. But Oklahoma had more success under Mayfield and Murray?
  4. Smooth sailing so far, can he handle adversities? Will he run to Mama's arms and have Papa shout down doubters? We don't know.
I look forward to being entertained by the Williams, on and off the field.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Poles is the only person who can answer that question. If he sees Williams as Mahomes 2.0, he would not do it, nor should he. If he’s that good, we’ve got Super Bowls coming.

I do think the Commanders will offer something, but not this big.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
toffee's nonexpert evaluation of Celab Williams:
  1. He is not the second coming of Mahomes, he is however the second coming of Russell Wilson. These two are separated by 1 3/8", Wilson was 5' 11 5/8", Williams 6'1". Both QB's claim to fame was how they improvised after pocket breaks down, and they both kept thinking of throwing even when they were on the run.
  2. He shall be insufferable off the field, and again, just like Wilson.
  3. As a 5 star recruit, he could go to any college. He picked Oklahoma, probably influenced by the success of Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray. But Oklahoma had more success under Mayfield and Murray?
  4. Smooth sailing so far, can he handle adversities? Will he run to Mama's arms and have Papa shout down doubters? We don't know.
I look forward to being entertained by the Williams, on and off the field.
Good grief. He’s the same size as Aaron Rodgers.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Good grief. He’s the same size as Aaron Rodgers.
Just to be pedantic, Rodgers was measured at 6'2", or 2 3/8" taller than Russell Wilson and 1" taller than Williams. Rodgers is also known to be sensitive about his height, see below:

There have been questions about his accuracy and deep throws. He has been called out for berating his teammates on the field multiple times. But if there is one thing certainly not expected to improve his mood, it is questions about his height.

Aaron Rodgers is famously touchy when it comes to the topic of his height. He measured in at 6'2", which is not something a layman would ever consider short. But for quarterbacks, height is considered an advantage.

He once berated a fan who met him and commented on how Aaron Rodgers does not look as big in person as one expects. Rodgers shot back with a reply saying: "That's one of the more ridiculous comments that could be thrown at me is that. Especially coming from somebody who's 5'7"."