JG will be a red zone machine

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":1q6j4umi said:
BadgerVid":1q6j4umi said:
Fade":1q6j4umi said:
This season will be the litmus test for Darrell Bevell. I'm convinced he is a terrible redzone playcaller, but he had legit excuses last season.

Now with Beastmode, DangeRuss, and I'm Jimmy. We will see.

I am one of the few around here who believe that Bevell gets a bad rap...I figure this season will prove whether I am wrong.

Bevell has earned that bad rap.
Yeah, he's only helped us get to the last two Super Bowls. What an embarrassment :187734: :roll:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Am excited to see Graham with the pads on!

With luck after a while defences won't know who to key on in redzone play. If Matthews shows up this season adding him to Graham, Lynch, and RW will make all the grumbles about Bevell go away.

netskier

Reaction score
Fewer receivers that catch poorly lowers the probability of choosing to throw to the wrong one, so Bevel will improve just because the receivers are better. Plus there will be a lot of pressure to pass to Jimmy, and some to Mathews and Lockett.

rideaducati

Reaction score
netskier":1lrxjczd said:
Fewer receivers that catch poorly lowers the probability of choosing to throw to the wrong one, so Bevel will improve just because the receivers are better. Plus there will be a lot of pressure to pass to Jimmy, and some to Mathews and Lockett.

Just NOT seeing Bryan Walters on the field for ANY pass plays gives me hope that the WR corps will be better.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":dws4mwsi said:
rideaducati":dws4mwsi said:
BadgerVid":dws4mwsi said:
Fade":dws4mwsi said:
This season will be the litmus test for Darrell Bevell. I'm convinced he is a terrible redzone playcaller, but he had legit excuses last season.

Now with Beastmode, DangeRuss, and I'm Jimmy. We will see.

I am one of the few around here who believe that Bevell gets a bad rap...I figure this season will prove whether I am wrong.

Yeah, he's only helped us get to the last two Super Bowls. What an embarrassment :187734: :roll:

He has good plays at his disposal, I just think his play calls in crunch time have failed him too many times. Look back to the Vikings with Favre. The Vikes were tied with the Saints and in field goal range late in the fourth quarter and he called a pass play that ended up winning the game for the Saints because of an interception.

He can be the OC for the Seahawks forever, I would just rather have someone else calling the plays. I think Russell calling his own plays would work out better in crunch time.

PackerNation

Reaction score
rideaducati":3rz0xfhi said:
He has good plays at his disposal, I just think his play calls in crunch time have failed him too many times. Look back to the Vikings with Favre. The Vikes were tied with the Saints and in field goal range late in the fourth quarter and he called a pass play that ended up winning the game for the Saints because of an interception.

He can be the OC for the Seahawks forever, I would just rather have someone else calling the plays. I think Russell calling his own plays would work out better in crunch time.
They were not in FG when he called the final play that ended in an interception. It also did not "win the game" for the Saints. It took it to overtime. The play before the INT, the Vikings were penalized for having too many players on the field, (right after a timeout!!!) and this was a direct result of Childress.

To his credit, Childress took responsibility for the situation, which inexplicably arose after the team had taken a timeout.

“[W]e had talked about the same play
with two different personnel groupings,” Childress said at his season-ending press conference, per the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “The initial
conversation was about a personnel grouping with a tailback and a
fullback and we ended up settling on a tight end and three-wide type
operation.

“Typically when you hold your guys as we do, because [the Saints]
are looking from that sideline to see what personnel you have, you are
running people on when people are running off, but Tahi had gone in the
game because that was the first part of the conversation. It’s an error
in communication and it all comes back to me not having it
over-communicated.”

Childress later made it more crystal clear that he’s taking ownership of the error.

“Like I said, that’s my mistake. Not that I’ve accepted it
myself. I’m harder [on myself] than any of you guys are. It hurts a
great deal and it hurts everyone a great deal. I’m disappointed that it
happened. I know why it happened, but it happened. It didn’t happen in
a vacuum. . . . Like I said, most of those guys were so focused that
nobody noticed who was by whom and they’re all just trying to do right.”

Bevell had to call a pass play to get them back in FG range. They were at the 38. Before the stupid penalty, they were at the 33, barely in FG range. Favre could have run for it but he was so badly beaten up he could barely walk, much less try to run. This was all a result of the "bounty scandal" and when New Orleans hit Favre high and low at the same time which should have resulted in a penalty. The refs missed it and the Vikings ended up on the wrong side of the score that day. In my opinion, they got cheated, royally.

Bevell called a great game and his players failed to execute. Especially Peterson who was a turnover machine that day. Go look at the stats and play by play, the Vikings just dominated that game.

This also happened in 2009 and bears no relevance to the Seahawks last year at all.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":i6eoh3vp said:
rideaducati":i6eoh3vp said:
BadgerVid":i6eoh3vp said:
Fade":i6eoh3vp said:

Please don't bring the Vikings example up again because It's just not correct. The Vikes were on the 42, making it a 59-yard field goal. That is not a high-percentage kick by any means. The pass play you bring up was one in which the hard-headed Favre threw across his body into double-coverage when he had Berrian wide open for a 15-yard gain on the right sideline. It was there if Favre wasn't so full of himself. What the Saints allowed on defense, Favre could also have ran for 7-8 yards to make it an easier field goal try, but to be fair, he was pretty gimpy by that time due to the Saints brutal and illegal defensive tactics. And with six turnovers by the Vikes, three by Adrian Peterson, it was, in fact, the coaching staff that even gave the Purple a shot at winning that game.