Jim Harbaugh Says Ray McDonald Will Play On Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Pats are pissed that Hernandez is being held without bail. They could have really used him against Denver in the playoffs. They would really have liked to wait to see if he's convicted. :sarcasm_off:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
homerun1970":1dowm2vh said:
Pats are pissed that Hernandez is being held without bail. They could have really used him against Denver in the playoffs. They would really have liked to wait to see if he's convicted. :sarcasm_off:
LMFAO

YEGHawkfan

Reaction score
Just playing devil's advocate...

Greg Hardy of the Panthers was found guilty on 2 counts of domestic violence. What happened to him? Carolina seems to be waiting for the appeal process to play out - which is scheduled to happen after the season. At that point, Greg Hardy will no longer be a franchise tagged member of their defence.

I realize that every case is different and that the courts don't always get it right, but if a player can be found guilty and not miss a single game, how serious is the NFL? And why would the 49'ers act any differently?

I do feel McDonald should be on paid leave while this situation sorts itself out. If the 49'ers are convinced that he is innocent of the charges, make a strong statement saying so. However, their actions are not without precedent from other NFL teams, even if those teams have failed to make the heralded 'above reproach' standard a part of their philosophy.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Hardy needs to be gone as well, I am sure more would be said on it if a Panther fan was in here daily telling Seattle fans why he shouldn't be.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I wonder why Ray didn't just come out and say that he didn't put the marks on his girl, he didn't even have to explain how they got there, just that he didn't put them there. There are a few accounts from the police to local reporters that they existed and were in fact the trigger for his arrest.

Marks triggered arrest

"When she showed police minor bruises on her neck and arms, McDonald was arrested without incident. "

All McDonald said was "the truth will come out". I wonder what that is. That he pissed off his girl, she started slapping him around (no one mentioned marks on McDonald) and that he defended himself, including putting his hands on her neck?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
YEGHawkfan":7ai94c18 said:
Just playing devil's advocate...

Greg Hardy of the Panthers was found guilty on 2 counts of domestic violence. What happened to him? Carolina seems to be waiting for the appeal process to play out - which is scheduled to happen after the season. At that point, Greg Hardy will no longer be a franchise tagged member of their defence.

I realize that every case is different and that the courts don't always get it right, but if a player can be found guilty and not miss a single game, how serious is the NFL? And why would the 49'ers act any differently?

I do feel McDonald should be on paid leave while this situation sorts itself out. If the 49'ers are convinced that he is innocent of the charges, make a strong statement saying so. However, their actions are not without precedent from other NFL teams, even if those teams have failed to make the heralded 'above reproach' standard a part of their philosophy.

No1curr because Hardy doesn't play for the Hawks' chief rival. Is that too real?

That for 9ers fans, or Hawks fans, or "the media," or practically everyone else who comments on this and isn't directly involved, it's really about the broader horrors of domestic violence, or the ethics of due process, or any other more widely applicable abstract principles is a complete and total fiction.

Hunting out contradictions among groups of fans or across widely divergent voices and organizations that we just collapse into "the media" is of course a ton of fun for morally grandstanding or for rhetorically tethering one's own very low stakes biases or preferences to more generally applicable principles of righteousness, but it's total hogwash.

Among the cavalry of chatterers who have not and will not ever suffer any real consequences from this, we can all point out contradictions aplenty. The joke of that of course is that to do so we have to close our eyes and insist that rational belief or calculation ever had anything to do with fandom in the first place. For the most part we all sit around and disparage other teams and make wild generalizations on the evilness of fans of other teams based on the random chance of where we were born, or where our parents were born. There's nothing rational about fandom, and pretending otherwise, or pretending that irrationality is purely the predilection of OTHER TEAMS' fans is nothing if not silly, IMO. "Homerism", no matter what, will ALWAYS be a matter of degrees, acknowledging that just disallows for the only reason to talk about homerism at all: it allows one to pretend that homerism is a binary with some people inside and some people outside of the walls of reason and rationality. It's nonsense.

[/rant]

kearly

Reaction score
homerun1970":24qjgihk said:

Pure ownage.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":1o5dtohb said:
homerun1970":1o5dtohb said:

Pure ownage.

Yup...guy on trial for multiple homicides is exactly the same as a guy who hasn't even been charged of a crime.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Not on trial only accused he has been convicted of nothing. It's the extreme other way but it is the bs agenda I hear you push on Mcdonald just magnified so you can see why I don't agree.

Marvin49

Reaction score
homerun1970":2qdxibm9 said:
Not on trial only accused he has been convicted of nothing. It's the extreme other way but it is the bs agenda I hear you push on Mcdonald just magnified so you can see why I don't agree.

Jeez. WHAT BS AGENDA?

Jeez. Anything short of "fry the dude" on this site is taken as spin. Take a step back people.

Just for a SECOND...assume he's innocent and then look at the situation. Just for a second. You can go back to unsubstantiated BS right after. Just assume for a second and then look at the entire situation.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Marvin I could do that can you step back and look at it also. There is less saying my view is wrong that has came out than there is saying yours is correct. Fact cops were called he was arrested and the cops charged him. Where is the evidence you allude to that says he didn't do it? That you cant see the Niners taking this chance if he didn't? Mom said her darling boy wouldn't?

Marvin49

Reaction score
homerun1970":1j5swri2 said:
Marvin I could do that can you step back and look at it also. There is less saying my view is wrong that has came out than there is saying yours is correct. Fact cops were called he was arrested and the cops charged him. Where is the evidence you allude to that says he didn't do it? That you cant see the Niners taking this chance if he didn't? Mom said her darling boy wouldn't?

First off, he hasn't been charged of anything.

Second I'm not saying he's innocent. I've only said that him being innocent or the 49ers PERCIEVE that he's innocent is the only thing that makes it all make sense to me from the position the 49ers have taken. Also stated that I could be correctly wrong.

There is no evidence to say he's guilty just as there is no evidence to prove he's innocent. All we have is the shortest police statement I've ever seen, no police report, no 911 call, and no charges being filed.

In this country, its on us as a people to prove guilt, not on him to prove innocence.

Still, we are talking the court of public opinion and not the court of law and all I'm sayin is lets get more than "visible injury" and "light bruising" before we rake this guy over the coals.

Really not sure why that's controversial

If the police report comes out and it paints this thing in a negative light, I'll be all over Ray McDonald and I'll want him gone. That hasn't happened yet.

Polaris

Reaction score
In most jobs especially jobs that required a good public image (think public school teacher as a good example), even an arrest and charges filed for Domestic Abuse would be enough to either get you fired or at the very least put on administrative leave (sometimes paid and sometimes not).

I have to wonder if McDonald was "Just A Guy" and #52 on the 53 man roster if the Niners would be so concerned about "due process". Same applies to the Panthers except more so (since in their case there's been a conviction that's being appealed).

I think that McDonald (or anyone charged in such a way) should probably sit (with pay) until the facts are in...but that would probably require a change in the CBA and the headaches that would cause.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Polaris":9noavmkm said:
In most jobs especially jobs that required a good public image (think public school teacher as a good example), even an arrest and charges filed for Domestic Abuse would be enough to either get you fired or at the very least put on administrative leave (sometimes paid and sometimes not).

I have to wonder if McDonald was "Just A Guy" and #52 on the 53 man roster if the Niners would be so concerned about "due process". Same applies to the Panthers except more so (since in their case there's been a conviction that's being appealed).

I think that McDonald (or anyone charged in such a way) should probably sit (with pay) until the facts are in...but that would probably require a change in the CBA and the headaches that would cause.

I wouldn't have had a problem with the 49ers sitting him.

I just don't think they were somehow duty bound to do so and not doing so reflects something else.

I like Ray McDonald as a player, but it's not like he's one of the best players on the team or someone they just couldn't live without. In fact, they have a number of young promising players at that position, so I don't buy that as the reason he played.

Jville

Reaction score
I don't believe Bill Walsh would have played Ray McDonald.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":15zoliif said:

Could be right. No way to tell though. Media wasn't then what it is today. Lots of stuff went on in every locker room that was never reported.

He played Charles Haley who had...shall we say "issues".

homerun1970

Reaction score
Marvin issues does not quite fit that train wreck of a being. If half of what I heard is true maybe a institution could be in order.

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":20frvvs6 said:
Jville":20frvvs6 said:

Could be right. No way to tell though. Media wasn't then what it is today. Lots of stuff went on in every locker room that was never reported.

He played Charles Haley who had...shall we say "issues".

1. Bill Walsh treated each of his players as individuals.

2. There is a difference between a bipolar condition and domestic violence.

3. This thread is not about you Marvin.

salamander

Reaction score
In my opinion, playing him is just the latest in a series of really bad moves by the NFL. They really need a standard policy and process for handling these things.

People charged with a serious crime such as this should be put on paid leave until the evidence can be gathered. If found innocent, they can be reinstated; if found guilty they must face a 16 game suspension with mandatory counseling and advocacy upon return.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Marvin49":37tnt3ri said:
. I've only said that him being innocent or the 49ers PERCIEVE that he's innocent is the only thing that makes it all make sense to me from the position the 49ers have taken.

But they let Aldon Smith play when they clearly knew he ran his SUV into a tree and left the neighborhood with the smell of burning rubber and the sound of screaming tires. They knew Aldon wasn't innocent and they let him play that week and practice the day of the incident.

Doesn't that prove that McDonald being innocent or guilty didn't weight into their decision? They have proven that they will play someone that clearly did something extremely wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.