Jim Rome talking "Fail Mary"

BamKam

Reaction score
Rome is great. People hate him because he calls a spade a spade and isn't afraid to take a passive approach to it like 99% of media personalities do. If you suck he will tell you you suck and not sugar coat it with anything.

People will always hate the personalities with strong opinions and call things like it is aggresively. People just can't handle the truth.

I am sure a lot of Seahawk fans love Rome now but down the road (hopefully much much later down the road) when the Hawks have a down year and he beats them up they will hate him again.

glad2bdada3

Reaction score
MysterMatt":3fega5lq said:
It's just one of those things that some people can't get over. The other day I heard Dave Wyman on the radio say that he thought "it was probably an interception"...and I just about lost my lunch. It simply defies logic how this is still a controversy. As you all know, there are these things called cameras that can not only take pictures, they can take them so fast that the images they capture actually appear to be moving. Using this technology, you can slow down, or even stop, the motion to analyze the images to see what might be happening if things are going too fast for the human eye.

Now bear with me, but you can actually point multiple cameras in different positions at the SAME THING, which gives you multiple perspectives on your subject! I KNOW, right?! It just so happens that they do this wizardry at ALL NFL games so that plays may be analyzed in order to make the right call if at all possible. Refs on the field, or up in the booth, can instantly access all angles to a play in question to make sure the proper rules are applied and the right call is made.

So the play in question here shows a few things of note:

1. Initially the GB CB, Jennings, had his hands on the ball. He was way up in the air when this happened, meaning that HIS FEET WERE NOT ON THE GROUND.
2. Golden Tate also got his hands on the ball from a lower angle, but his FEET WERE ALSO OFF THE GROUND.
3. For a catch to be ruled a catch in the NFL, both the receiver's feet must land in bounds.
4. In the case of a "simultaneous catch" (see points 1 and 2), whichever person gets both his feet hits the ground FIRST is ruled to be the one who made the reception.
5. The cameras clearly show, beyond the shadow of any doubt, that Tate's feet hit the ground first...with his hands grasping the ball.

So, at the end of the day, while a frontal camera angle shows that Jennings got his hands on the ball, as did Tate, his feet were not on the ground and therefore he did not intercept the ball. Was it close to an interception? HELL YES, but that's not how rulings are made. Per the rules, Tate clearly had the touchdown and anyone who disputes that, or simply doesn't understand it, is either dumb or willfully ignorant...or they're trolling (see National Media).

Poop on them.

If one wants to make a controversy out of that game, they should point at the dreadful officiating in the second half that CLEARLY favored Green Bay and allowed them to get back in the game to begin with.

This is exactly how I understood it, it is concisely and clearly explained and should be posted on every Green Bay blog out there. Very well said. One thing I loved about that win was that we'd stop hearing all the whining about the "Failed Mary"

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I don't care what they think.

I'm not apologizing for the win.

I'm not offering to give them their win back.

In the pantheon of screw jobs involving the Seahawks, the Fail Mary isn't even in the top 3. It just happens to be the one that benefited us.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3a8wfp0z said:
HawkFan72":3a8wfp0z said:
I was surprised while listening to Jim Rome this morning that he brought up the famous play vs Green Bay...and actually sounded like a Seahawks fan.

He said that this was a great moment for everyone outside of Green Bay, that Golden Tate "clearly had the ball", and that he likes this play "more than the Immaculate Reception and the Music City Miracle combined."

He said this was one of the great all-time moments in NFL History.

He didn't say a single negative thing about it.

Was quite refreshing to hear from a media big-shot for once.

Having listened to Rome for many years... he's trolling here. A lot of his takes are draped in sarcasm, this one seems to fit the bill.

agreed.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
MysterMatt":3dk37xsg said:
If one wants to make a controversy out of that game, they should point at the dreadful officiating in the second half that CLEARLY favored Green Bay and allowed them to get back in the game to begin with.

I have mentioned all that, but there no one talks about how the fact that Tate had his feet down in the end zone eliminated any continuation on Jennings behalf (not that it matters) Tate met the requirements of a touchdown. He had possession with both feet in the end zone, once this occurred the play was over. Whatever happened with Jennings after that was dead ball activity. What it means is that if that play were in the field anywhere but the endzone that the point where Jennings had control of the ball may have been considered since there would have been continuation. It was something I heard on the radio that established the play as a TD if there was a question otherwise.

The facts are there, but if we mention it here we are just blind homers.

None of it matters. The Packers had their chance to establish themselves and all their talk about "revenge" was ultimately a waste of time.

The Hawks actually got roasted by this in 2005 against the Giants. Shockey came down with a ball in the end zone that was knocked out when he landed. I think that the rule has changed since then.

In the next game in 2006 the Hawks got roasted by a simultaneously possessed ball too, against the same Giants on a ball deep down the middle.

253hawk

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":7j1sxjzj said:
The Hawks actually got roasted by this in 2005 against the Giants. Shockey came down with a ball in the end zone that was knocked out when he landed. I think that the rule has changed since then.

IIRC that was the 11 false start game when Shockey got blasted in the air as he was catching the ball and then hit the ground which knocked the ball loose, but it was called a TD anyway (even after the replay assistant challenged it.) Basically what became the Megatron Rule a few seasons ago when Calvin Johnson didn't maintain possession throughout the catch after hitting the ground in the end zone.

I'll never understand why that rule took so long to change. Catching a ball in the end zone is a whole different animal than having the ball in the field of play and then breaking the plane of the goal line with it.

The Radish

Reaction score
I'm glad Rome said what he did but not to worry this Seahawks fan will never love or even like the loud mouth idiot Jim Rome is.

:141847_bnono:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Radish":200dfaqs said:
I'm glad Rome said what he did but not to worry this Seahawks fan will never love or even like the loud mouth idiot Jim Rome is.

:141847_bnono:

Is Rome even relevant anymore? His national syndication is at an all time low, and he charges people to listen to his podcasts? LOL.

"thanks for giving me a vine Jim!"......c'mon man, that's so tired. Rome hasn't been good since he called Jim Everett Chris Everett.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":elmii9c4 said:
MysterMatt":elmii9c4 said:

I have mentioned all that, but there no one talks about how the fact that Tate had his feet down in the end zone eliminated any continuation on Jennings behalf (not that it matters) Tate met the requirements of a touchdown.
This "continuation" aspect doesn't get mentioned at all. Offensive player catches the ball in the end zone - TD and ball is dead. Defender catches the ball in the end-zone - "continuation" - the ball is still live because the defender has the option of returning it. This is how a fumble is possible in the end zone and "theoretically" an offensive player can rip a ball away from a defender then making it a TD.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
BlueTalons":2y5s2qcv said:
This "continuation" aspect doesn't get mentioned at all. Offensive player catches the ball in the end zone - TD and ball is dead. Defender catches the ball in the end-zone - "continuation" - the ball is still live because the defender has the option of returning it. This is how a fumble is possible in the end zone and "theoretically" an offensive player can rip a ball away from a defender then making it a TD.

Exactly. It is that simple. Play is dead before Jennings has feet on the ground. But so many folks reacted to Gruden's biased commentary that no one will even consider it.

There is soooo many bullets GB dodged to get that chance anyways. The Phantom PI, the stalled drive close to the end zone with time running out, the Browner strip that GB recovered inside the 5 (I would have LOVED it if that was Hawks ball. GB was so lucky to even be in the game when that play happened.