Jimmy G

Status
Not open for further replies.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
In fact, given my searches, I'm not even sure I ever said that. The only discussion I have found regarding this topic was mostly about KAEPERNICK and me defining "fatal flaws" as flaws that are predictable (which means things you can game plan for, such as a slow release, or a weakness against a certain coverage), and contrasting that to Garoppolo's flaws, which at the time appeared to be much less predictable. It is starting to look like YOUR fragile ego has caused you to consistently lie through your teeth, if not by omission. I could be wrong, but given that my opinion on Garoppolo has been pretty consistent (his flaws are UNPREDICTABLE, e.g., stupid throws, unpredictable bad reads, etc), it definitely seems like either you lack the cognitive ability to understand more than three or four words in a sentence, resulting in you missing the entire point of the use of the phrase "fatal flaw," and the explicit definition given right next to it, or you are simply a liar.

EDIT- Here is the oldest post of mine I can find using the fatal flaw phrase.

5_Golden_Rings":1f9gaxlc said:
Sports Hernia":1f9gaxlc said:
SantaClaraHawk":1f9gaxlc said:
C'mon 9ers fans, the INT being called back made Sunday's game. Like Sherm said, "A win is a win even though this doesn't feel like one." JimmyG has been slow to release, and shows signs of panic release from overcoaching already.
Might be his fatal flaw!?!?!?! :stirthepot:
His fatal flaw is a lack of experience and thinking he's Brett Favre when he doesn't have half the arm strength.

Are you even sure it was me that said that? The only discussion I remember bringing the phrase up (and the only one I found) was in trying to explain the difference between reliably predictable QB flaws and unpredictable ones, which I already linked to, and I believe you replied originally with "tl;dr."

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1a3h5fcg said:
In fact, given my searches, I'm not even sure I ever said that. The only discussion I have found regarding this topic was mostly about KAEPERNICK and me defining "fatal flaws" as flaws that are predictable (which means things you can game plan for, such as a slow release, or a weakness against a certain coverage), and contrasting that to Garoppolo's flaws, which at the time appeared to be much less predictable. It is starting to look like YOUR fragile ego has caused you to consistently lie through your teeth, if not by omission. I could be wrong, but given that my opinion on Garoppolo has been pretty consistent (his flaws are UNPREDICTABLE, e.g., stupid throws, unpredictable bad reads, etc), it definitely seems like either you lack the cognitive ability to understand more than three or four words in a sentence, resulting in you missing the entire point of the use of the phrase "fatal flaw," and the explicit definition given right next to it, or you are simply a liar.

5_Golden_Rings":1a3h5fcg said:
Sports Hernia":1a3h5fcg said:
SantaClaraHawk":1a3h5fcg said:
C'mon 9ers fans, the INT being called back made Sunday's game. Like Sherm said, "A win is a win even though this doesn't feel like one." JimmyG has been slow to release, and shows signs of panic release from overcoaching already.
His fatal flaw is a lack of experience and thinking he's Brett Favre when he doesn't have half the arm strength.

Are you even sure it was me that said that? The only discussion I remember bringing the phrase up (and the only one I found) was in trying to explain the difference between reliably predictable QB flaws and unpredictable ones, which I already linked to, and I believe you replied originally with "tl;dr."
I’m 100% positive you said it, that’s what my post you copied there was referring too. I called you out on it, then.

The reason I remember it was because it was a ludicrous statement to say about any QB.
All have fatal flaws (even Shady Brady, the GOAT) of course some have more than others.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":2qtv57ct said:
80.17 Passer rating.

1-0, on the road, in Eastern Timezone. Couldn't care less about his rating.

We're on to Cincinnati.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Marvin49":i4imq44i said:
TAB420":i4imq44i said:
80.17 Passer rating.

We're on to Cincinnati.

This^
Sloppy win, stupid penalties brought back TDs. Vast improvement over last year, take aways, defense scoring I'll take it.

Give Jimmy G a couple more games he will just get better.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Washington49er":2ivoqodi said:
Marvin49":2ivoqodi said:
TAB420":2ivoqodi said:
80.17 Passer rating.

We're on to Cincinnati.

This^
Sloppy win, stupid penalties brought back TDs. Vast improvement over last year, take aways, defense scoring I'll take it.

Give Jimmy G a couple more games he will just get better.

Yeah...penalties were nuts. Jimmy actually threw 3 TDs, but two were called back on some pretty ticky tack penalties. Fantasy Owners who had Kittle must have been pissed. LOL. The one where he broke the tackle would have been a highlight.

In fact, between both teams there were FIVE TDs called back, three for SF and two for Tampa.

BoX916

Reaction score
Jimmy seemed to be on a different page with a few WR today but I’m more worried about the oline.. Suh can be a handful for a lot of olines but the front dline is the heart of this team.

Box out

Marvin49

Reaction score
BoX916":h2b1x8sy said:
Jimmy seemed to be on a different page with a few WR today but I’m more worried about the oline.. Suh can be a handful for a lot of olines but the front dline is the heart of this team.

Box out

Thats fair.

The weakest unit on the Niners is interior line. That made for tough sledding against Suh, Vea, and those fast ILBs.

Running game was in neutral most of the day, they were getting quick pressure inside, Receivers were making mistakes and Jimmy was just plain rusty. There were several passes that should have been caught, but they weren'tperfectly placed either. A bit high, behind the receiver, etc...and the INT was the WTF throw he seems to make like clockwork once per game.

The heat clearly had an effect as well...but thats a factor for both teams. The D really bailed them out on this one. Its really nice to see outside rushers get pressure. :) Bosa and Ford were in Winstons face all day.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2ki17lj6 said:
5_Golden_Rings":2ki17lj6 said:

5_Golden_Rings":2ki17lj6 said:
Sports Hernia":2ki17lj6 said:

I’m 100% positive you said it, that’s what my post you copied there was referring too. I called you out on it, then.

The reason I remember it was because it was a ludicrous statement to say about any QB.
All have fatal flaws (even Shady Brady, the GOAT) of course some have more than others.

You realize fatal means "causing death," right? I defined the phrase in one of my posts, one in which you replied with "tl;dr;" if I recall, and if I'm the one who coined the phrase, you ought to be going with my definition if you're going to "call me out" regarding it. Flaw and fatal flaw are not the same thing. Kaepernick's slow release is a fatal flaw because it is something a defense can reliably expect to see and therefore reliably game plan for. Making stupid throws is a flaw. It's not fatal by MY definition because it is entirely unpredictable.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
No, it appears that Garoppolo has some sort of mental block at the moment. I am worried about his confidence. Dude was behind or off target on easy throws way too much. These are the kind of mistakes someone either extremely rusty (which I suppose is reasonable) or with blown confidence makes. Yes, the deep throw to James was perfect, and in fact I think he might have improved his mechanics on those to a degree, given that he's looked pretty good on those of late, but the lay ups were pretty bad.

The 49ers defense, however, looks pretty darn fantastic. I do worry they might have a weakness against the run as the year goes on due to the new scheme, but they look much better.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Marvin49":2mcj8mh8 said:
TAB420":2mcj8mh8 said:
80.17 Passer rating.

We're on to Cincinnati.

I'm sure it still messed up their body clocks a little, but don't pretend like this wasn't (inexplicably) a 4pm Eastern start time.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ramfan128":4j83zvhb said:
Marvin49":4j83zvhb said:
TAB420":4j83zvhb said:
80.17 Passer rating.

We're on to Cincinnati.

I'm sure it still messed up their body clocks a little, but don't pretend like this wasn't (inexplicably) a 4pm Eastern start time.

I'm not pretending anything.

They hadn't won a game on the East Coast since Harbaugh was coach, regardless of start time.

It was also like 96 degrees, humid as hell, and players were cramping up and needing IVs left and right.

They won. On the road. That's all I care about.

Oh yeah, and that Bosa guy looks like he's pretty good. :) Poor guy tho, he had his welcome to the NFL moments yesterday. He got a sack and several pressures, but Jameis made him look silly a few times. He just destroys the tackle on both plays, but just can't get the QB. LOL.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/OSf49ers/status/1171072314768646149[/tweet]

...and almost lost him on this one too...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/thecheckdown/status/1170825504833691648[/tweet]

Not bad considering he hadn't played a game in almost a year and was playin with a sprained ankle.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Haven't watched highlights yet, but that's a nice win for you guys. Regardless of the opponent, in that heat and on the road? Tough to win anywhere.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Marvin49":2y3sjjp7 said:
Ramfan128":2y3sjjp7 said:
Marvin49":2y3sjjp7 said:
TAB420":2y3sjjp7 said:
80.17 Passer rating.

We're on to Cincinnati.

They hadn't won a game on the East Coast since Harbaugh was coach, regardless of start time.

It was also like 96 degrees, humid as hell, and players were cramping up and needing IVs left and right.

Oh yeah, and that Bosa guy looks like he's pretty good. :) Poor guy tho, he had his welcome to the NFL moments yesterday. He got a sack and several pressures, but Jameis made him look silly a few times. He just destroys the tackle on both plays, but just can't get the QB. LOL.

Not bad considering he hadn't played a game in almost a year and was playin with a sprained ankle.

Ah I didn't realize it had been that long since you guys had a win on the East coast - I thought you said that because of the time difference.

I'd be happy too in your shoes.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ramfan128":4lmvah55 said:
Marvin49":4lmvah55 said:
Ramfan128":4lmvah55 said:
Marvin49":4lmvah55 said:

We're on to Cincinnati.

Ah I didn't realize it had been that long since you guys had a win on the East coast - I thought you said that because of the time difference.

I'd be happy too in your shoes.

I mean, to be fair we haven't had many wins on ANY coast, but thanks. :)

David

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
I think Steve Young had a good point. He said he thought Garoppolo was unconsciously avoiding putting pressure on the ACL knee, which was causing passes to sail high and crossing routes to be behind. That makes a lot of sense, and if it is, then maybe he needs to ride pine until he completely gets over the injury.

That said, the throw to Coleman near the sideline was simply idiotic. Could be lack of experience, or it could be a tendency to decide where he wants to throw before the ball is snapped. If it's that, he'll do more of those throughout his career, because while that can work a lot of the time if the QB is very quick with the throw, release and timing, and the route is run well, it will still eventually lead periodic disasters.

rlkats

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":10qf9g22 said:
I think Steve Young had a good point. He said he thought Garoppolo was unconsciously avoiding putting pressure on the ACL knee, which was causing passes to sail high and crossing routes to be behind. That makes a lot of sense, and if it is, then maybe he needs to ride pine until he completely gets over the injury.

That said, the throw to Coleman near the sideline was simply idiotic. Could be lack of experience, or it could be a tendency to decide where he wants to throw before the ball is snapped. If it's that, he'll do more of those throughout his career, because while that can work a lot of the time if the QB is very quick with the throw, release and timing, and the route is run well, it will still eventually lead periodic disasters.

I was watching Shannon Sharpe the other day. He was talking about that play. He was saying that he doesn't understand why it is still in teams play book. The issue is that the CB is sitting on the route and it is a horrible play a large majority of the time. Honestly I dont understand why Jimmy did not see the CB sitting on the route and go to another read. :17:

Washington49er

Reaction score
rlkats":dkegjy9x said:
5_Golden_Rings":dkegjy9x said:

I was watching Shannon Sharpe the other day. He was talking about that play. He was saying that he doesn't understand why it is still in teams play book. The issue is that the CB is sitting on the route and it is a horrible play a large majority of the time. Honestly I dont understand why Jimmy did not see the CB sitting on the route and go to another read. :17:

Like a wide open Kittle

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rlkats":3bvvpnlb said:
5_Golden_Rings":3bvvpnlb said:

Every team in the NFL runs that play and keeps it in the playbook because it's free yards on the outside (meaning it's not only free yards, but if you break one tackle the free yards become a chunk play).

Like seam routes curls on the outside are just a good way to attack a team if you're expecting them to be in cover 3.

As both Shanahan and Jimmy discussed, he just really crapped the bed by trusting his pre-snap read too much and not doing the confirm on the CBs feet before throwing. Coleman's high ankle sprain also reasonably contributed to him not fighting for the ball or batting it down.

Long story short, you don't throw a play out of the playbook because your QB ran it wrong. As both KS and Jimmy said, that's on Jimmy, not the play design.

If you just throw the play out and never do it you're also capping yourself at the knees running deep routes and late breaking in routes to the outside against cover 3 because the CB doesn't have to play those honestly anymore and can just sit back on them instead of covering for the full route tree.

toffee

Reaction score
Make no mistake, GQ is still way ahead of Mullens, GQ is THE franchise QB that Jeb York paid to lead the franchise to promised land. If Shanny can't utilize GQ's unique skill sets, he is a goner. HCs are a dime a dozen, franchise QBs are treasures.

Status
Not open for further replies.