Jimmy Graham for Max Unger

timmat

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1hasvdmt said:
WindCityHawk":1hasvdmt said:
But we needed someone to block while we throw to Kearse!

Pulled the still from the other thread, but the other way to look at this is that it's only BECAUSE of Graham that (and the three or four defenders bracketing him) that a 50-50 ball to Kearse was even an option in the first place.

You can never know for certain, but take out Graham and install Luke Wilson as the Hawks starting TE and you're not even going to get odds that good on one of your receivers to begin with.

file.php

Looking at this still, it's actually set up perfectly to go to Kearse - BUT NOT A CORNER FADE! Safety moved over when Russ motioned our RB over. Kearse sprint directly at DB, break in for a slant. TD. Russ should have audibled to this based on a pre-snap read you'd think.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
For Jimmy to have 1 TD 7 games into the season, is unacceptable. If NE is in this situation, who do they throw to? Gronk. For some reason Bevell doesn't know how to get Jimmy involved in scoring situations.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I don't know if I can even label the fade route to Kearse a bad call as the pass was terribly thrown. Kearse was never given a chance.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Okay --

Actually got it together to watch the replay :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, so, it looks like the Saints start to show with seven seconds left on the play clock. Wilson sees that the Saints are playing their safety man on Michael and switches him to the other side in order to clear out space for the 1-on-1 with Kearse, which is pretty heady as Wilson already sees that the saints are doubling Graham (at least) and are taking away the trips side. Once you've confirmed the adjustment of the safety you're out of time to audible again, so you go with whwat's presented to you.

With how the Saints are aligned and the safety cleared from that side of the field that's the correct adjustment and the correct throw. As Rich points out, you get a 6'2 receiver in the corner against a 5'9 db whose name I don't even know.

Really hard to fault anyone on the Hawks side of the ball for this play IMO. It's good odds in a good matchup (certainly the best available to the Hawks). It's just a play that was a few inches from working out but didn't. The pass is a few inches off, but damn, it's still pretty close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdf74RvAubk

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Diezel Dawg":2c589ktj said:
For Jimmy to have 1 TD 7 games into the season, is unacceptable. If NE is in this situation, who do they throw to? Gronk. For some reason Bevell doesn't know how to get Jimmy involved in scoring situations.

This exactly. The Pats go to Gronk there 10 times out of 10 because they understand that players win games more than plays. And what do you know, they're enjoying an unprecedented run of success.

Of course the blame is shared, it's a team game. Russ could have read it/thrown it better, maybe Kearse could have adjusted, but the fact remains that Bevell has never played to the team's strengths. This isn't nearly as severe as XLIX, but the principle is the same: put the ball in your best player's hands, or get cute. Bevell gets cute. It's who he is, and it's bad for this team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They barely got the play off, no time to audible. And he threw it where THE RECEIVER RAN. How in the world is that on the Quarterback? If Kearse runs a slant, Russ isn't gonna' magically throw the ball to the back of the end zone. He was see Kearse cut to the inside, easy TD. Sure he could have thrown it a second sooner. But I get it, blaming Russ is a popular thing these days.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1eqd1s4x said:
Really hard to fault anyone on the Hawks side of the ball for this play IMO. It's good odds in a good matchup (certainly the best available to the Hawks). It's just a play that was a few inches from working out but didn't. The pass is a few inches off, but damn, it's still pretty close.

I blamed Russell, and I still blame Russell.

If we and he all think he's an ELITE QB, then he has to make a more accurate throw and give Kearse at least a chance to come down with the ball. That throw was not only late, it never had a chance.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3568chzc said:
Popeyejones":3568chzc said:

If we and he all think he's an ELITE QB, then he has to make a more accurate throw and give Kearse at least a chance to come down with the ball. That throw was not only late, it never had a chance.

I think blame is a strong word here. I agree the pass wasn't perfect and was the reason we failed on that play but I kind of think we are putting to much emphasis on one play.

It would be just as easy to blame the officials for running the clock when the carrier went out of bounds, forcing us to lose about 13 seconds and the 2 minute warning as well as burning a critical T/O.

If the clock stops like it is suppose to we have more time and a T\O plus we're able to better utilize the 2 minute warning.

Unfortunately we did enough to win just not enough to overcome the refs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3aw8jxar said:
Sgt. Largent":3aw8jxar said:
Popeyejones":3aw8jxar said:

I think blame is a strong word here. I agree the pass wasn't perfect and was the reason we failed on that play but I kind of think we are putting to much emphasis on one play.

It would be just as easy to blame the officials for running the clock when the carrier went out of bounds, forcing us to lose about 13 seconds and the 2 minute warning as well as burning a critical T/O.

If the clock stops like it is suppose to we have more time and a T\O plus we're able to better utilize the 2 minute warning.

As much as I criticize the refs, this has been on Russell and the offense for weeks now. Can't run the ball, can't pass the ball to make up for it.............O-line is garbage and if Russell's hurt bad enough to where it affecting the entire offense?

Then sit him. Maybe we go 2-2 or whatever, but him playing like this hurt the rest of the year isn't doing the team any better either.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The revisionist history on this board can be spectacular sometimes. :lol:

Unger was getting cut last offseason. Or probably at the least getting traded for a pick or two. Just so happened the Saints wanted to move Graham too and voila a deal was done.

But saying "oh I wish we kept Unger, everything would be amazing!" is not taking into consideration that Unger was not going to be a Seahawk in 2015 to begin with.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":337xsqyt said:
Diezel Dawg":337xsqyt said:

This exactly. The Pats go to Gronk there 10 times out of 10 because they understand that players win games more than plays. And what do you know, they're enjoying an unprecedented run of success.

Of course the blame is shared, it's a team game. Russ could have read it/thrown it better, maybe Kearse could have adjusted, but the fact remains that Bevell has never played to the team's strengths. This isn't nearly as severe as XLIX, but the principle is the same: put the ball in your best player's hands, or get cute. Bevell gets cute. It's who he is, and it's bad for this team.

"The Seahawks have run 68 plays in the red zone this season. Of the 34 passing plays run, Jimmy Graham has been targeted just 4 times, and has yet to be featured inside of 10 yards."

This is insanity, has yet to be featured inside of 10 yards!?!?!?!

Hawks46

Reaction score
getnasty":2ht05968 said:
LeftHandSmoke":2ht05968 said:
getnasty":2ht05968 said:
If Max was here Britt would be out of a job, it's not like center has been the problem. Without Graham imagine what this offense would look like? He's about the only difference maker we have right now, if he's not catching the ball he's drawing coverage.
:2thumbs:

Graham is a big-time difference-maker, he proved it again today.

Because if you don't have 100 yards and a TD your not a difference maker.

Because only difference makers have 1600 yards and 16 TD's a year. :2thumbs:

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":12p8ocdk said:
hawkfannj":12p8ocdk said:
The Way we are using this guy!?!? That deal doesn't look as sweet as it sounded when it first happened
It didn't sound sweet when it happened.

Max and a 1st
for
Jimmy and a 4th

I don't know, I didn't like it when it happened. Max was the anchor on the o-line. I wish he was still a Seahawk.

He was NOT the anchor of the OL at that point in time. The guy was hurt the 2 years prior to being traded-- in which he missed 40% of our games. You can't be an anchor if your not on the field.

A

Anonymous

Unger would not have been a factor for us on Sunday, Graham was.

Russ threw that 4/2 :02 left ball to Kearse so as to not allow it to be caught in bounds. Should have been lower and more to the right.

Plain and simple

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ua36lco said:
RichNhansom":1ua36lco said:
Sgt. Largent":1ua36lco said:
Popeyejones":1ua36lco said:

As much as I criticize the refs, this has been on Russell and the offense for weeks now. Can't run the ball, can't pass the ball to make up for it.............O-line is garbage and if Russell's hurt bad enough to where it affecting the entire offense?

Then sit him. Maybe we go 2-2 or whatever, but him playing like this hurt the rest of the year isn't doing the team any better either.
The only thing is without RW we will not win one game..I agree with the rest of your post

Latest posts