Jimmy Graham has Daryl Turner Syndrome

Jville

Reaction score
In my opinion, the Daryl Turner analogy is totally off. However, when it comes to effort, finishing and body language, it does elicit some recall of the last days of Jermaine Kearse.

That is not to say that it is all on the receivers.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":1swtcrmz said:
If I remember correctly, it turns out DT had an actual depth perception issue. Diagnosed AFTER his career.

That is true as I recall reading something like that many years ago but Daryl's biggest problem was Snowcaine IMO as his issues with the white powder/rocks all but ruined his life at that time if I remember correctly.

The #81 was all but jinxed for many years until Nate Burleson seemed to get rid of the hex on that player number during his stay with the Hawks.

GO HAWKS!!!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think Graham has already checked out here for regiular plays and will be happy to go to whoever pays him the most. Like the Harvin trade the trade for Graham has not born the fruit expected of the trade.

Besides Bevell seems to have trouble using him, except this year in the redzone; and Russell for some reason cannot throw him passes on the field that Graham can catch.

2_0_6

Reaction score
While it's true that Russ could get the ball higher to Jimmy, most of his drops were not due to bad throws. I remember a few games ago (Redskins) where he was running free down the left side and Russ dropped it right into his numbers and he dropped it. Drops happen, but frequent drops by a $10mil tight end should not.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree with jammerhawk. Graham has mentally checked out this year. Sure he will be there for us (himself) in the redzone to pad his numbers but that's a means to an end which is to hope for another team to give him a big payday.

Otherwise his value and performance between the 20's is pretty much garbage this year.

The Graham Experiment will be over soon.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
rossob":a95ffrhv said:
IndyHawk":a95ffrhv said:
Got to throw it up to Jimmy..Not low like a short person
That's true. I think Russell still hasn't figured out how to use Grahams size to his advantage.
:roll: Seriously?
Look, not all passes can be thrown PERFECTLY, really good receivers & TE's make the tough catches that help their Quarterbacks out.
It's not like Jimmy G hasn't made some sensational one hand grabs in the last couple Years.
Wilson sometimes has to pass while running & scrambling his ever lovin' ass off, and that calls for some EXTRA EFFORT by his Receivers to RESCUE an impromptu play, and for the most part, they have been doing just that.
I miss having Receivers like Joe Jurevicius, who IF he couldn't make the catch, made the CB or whoever was covering him, wary about reaching for the intercept.....Like IF it ain't mine, it sure as hell ain't going to be yours.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Guy drops the ball too much for what he is paid, he's not a first-year rookie.

Catch the damn ball, Jerramy Stevens.

While I thought he was surely on his way to being re-upped here with his red zone tds, I think the drops are going to hurt what the Seahawks offer to pay him. At least that would be my logical conclusion for him.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The problem with getting rid of Jimmy Graham is we don't really have another reliable red zone threat.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3pd8tvma said:
The problem with getting rid of Jimmy Graham is we don't really have another reliable red zone threat.

Sounds like a potential issue, but hitting on a running back and getting the oline's holes taken care of can help also.

One other thing to keep in mind. The first 2+ seasons of Graham we didn't really either, so I think you can remove the word reliable from that sentence personally.

mrblitz

Reaction score
on the interception, the db fooled both russell and jimmy. jimmy thought himself open, but the db was playing a game of 'pretend-to-be-slow-then-accelerate'. by the time the ball had gotten there, the db pulled the trigger and jimmy was like, 'say what?'... if jimmy had been more savvy, he would have noticed what the db were doing, and jimmy would have fought for the ball when it got there. instead jimmy was dumbfounded by the ruse. that was a great play by the db, but jimmy has to pay attention.

on the other one, russell and jimmy weren't communicating. jimmy turned one way, and russell threw the other. not sure who is to 'blame' on that one but it would have been a good catch.

original poster

Reaction score
mrblitz":ukn1om5c said:
on the interception, the db fooled both russell and jimmy. jimmy thought himself open, but the db was playing a game of 'pretend-to-be-slow-then-accelerate'. by the time the ball had gotten there, the db pulled the trigger and jimmy was like, 'say what?'... if jimmy had been more savvy, he would have noticed what the db were doing, and jimmy would have fought for the ball when it got there. instead jimmy was dumbfounded by the ruse. that was a great play by the db, but jimmy has to pay attention.

on the other one, russell and jimmy weren't communicating. jimmy turned one way, and russell threw the other. not sure who is to 'blame' on that one but it would have been a good catch.

Yeah I remember the commentators doing a replay of the DB bating. Very Richard Sherman-esque!

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Graham is now #2 in the entire NFL in drops with 7.

#1 Marqise Lee (with 8 ) makes 10X less than Graham....literally.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The Graham story is still being told this season. Two weeks ago I think many here would have lobbied for keeping him. Last week he looked like he wasn't worth a roster spot at veteran minimum salary. He has three regular season games left to improve his side of the argument before unrestricted FA so I imagine he'll be giving plenty of effort around things that can be tracked with stats at least.

original poster

Reaction score
AgentDib":30f8busc said:
The Graham story is still being told this season. Two weeks ago I think many here would have lobbied for keeping him. Last week he looked like he wasn't worth a roster spot at veteran minimum salary. He has three regular season games left to improve his side of the argument before unrestricted FA so I imagine he'll be giving plenty of effort around things that can be tracked with stats at least.

I get the idea but if that was the case why didn’t he put the effort in last week against the Jags? That was, after all, his 4th last game (playoffs excluding)?

adeltaY

Reaction score
original poster":1z7ojwf8 said:
mrblitz":1z7ojwf8 said:

Yeah I remember the commentators doing a replay of the DB bating. Very Richard Sherman-esque!

Yeah, Bouye destroyed us this game. Allowed a 0.0 passer rating. I was skeptical when people were saying Jimmy could've knocked it down. I need to see the play again.

original poster

Reaction score
Yeah I’m going to check it out properly tomorrow but I’m pretty certain he could have at least batted the ball away.

JimmyG

Reaction score
Graham's overall effectiveness has dropped quite a bit (averaging only a little over 9 yards per reception), but he's such a red zone force that it would be hard to let him go. He has been an absolute beast down there.

original poster

Reaction score
JimmyG":3hyfbz8p said:
Graham's overall effectiveness has dropped quite a bit (averaging only a little over 9 yards per reception), but he's such a red zone force that it would be hard to let him go. He has been an absolute beast down there.

Exactly my point. All the stats barring red zone TD’s point to him not worthy of another $10M+ contract but TD’s are good in this league.

It certainly won’t be a case of him coming back to the team with his tail between his legs after an unsuccessful free agency tester. A good few teams will throw proper money at him IMO.