J'Marcus Webb signs

kearly

Reaction score
Here's Webb's claim to fame moment, being too fat to tie his own shoes fast enough.

[youtube]d5W12cIivgc[/youtube]

Frank Omiyale was a sucktastic tackle for the Bears and Seattle made him look okay. But giving out significant money for Webb... it feels a bit like the OL version of the Cary Williams signing.

It's a little unfair to compare, but the money on this deal is only slightly less than the first two years of Breno's deal with the Jets.

I'll try and be patient and I know that the spread is going to mask a lot of OL issues in 2016, but it does feel like Seattle is struggling to properly evaluate OL talent the past few years.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
kearly"but it does feel like Seattle is struggling to properly evaluate OL talent the past few years.[/quote said:
This times a thousand. It's like the ability to pass protect is left completely out of the evaluation. It makes zero sense.

Jville

Reaction score
So ...... is this the new starting right tackle? I kind of anticipated they might revert back to a power project on the right side. But, I didn't expect them to go out and sign and commit to a specific linemen this early in the process.

I assume this this to be a re-commitment to a power running game. With the erosion of speed and athleticism on the inside, they must be committing to the inside running game .... inside zone. It also suggests that the changes made to the offense half way thru the 2015 season will be further reinforced. Seems to me this move telegraphed the direction they are going in. I see the Seahawk offensive line as going thru a transition. They are working on figuring out the optimum (and affordable) offensive line to build around their chosen quarterback.

IMHO, it looks to have the Pete Carroll/Tom Cable seal of approval. I'll be interested in hearing or reading the transcript of Tom's next interview.

Barthawk

Reaction score
kearly":1qnhw4cc said:
Here's Webb's claim to fame moment, being too fat to tie his own shoes fast enough.

[youtube]d5W12cIivgc[/youtube]

Frank Omiyale was a sucktastic tackle for the Bears and Seattle made him look okay. But giving out significant money for Webb... it feels a bit like the OL version of the Cary Williams signing.

It's a little unfair to compare, but they money on this deal is only slightly less than the first two years of Breno's deal with the Jets.

I'll try and be patient and I know that the spread is going to mask a lot of OL issues in 2016, but it does feel like Seattle is struggling to properly evaluate OL talent the past few years.

Significant money? Two years ago the cap was 20M less than it is now.. so add another 15% less to what Breno was paid in 2014.

I remember us saying we got training camp fodder in 2011 for Kelly Jennings when we got Clinton McDonald.. he turned out pretty ok..

He is getting less than 50% what Sweezy just got.. i think it is an ok deal myself. 28 years old, started multiple games and has not been injury prone. Good signing I think.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Omfg this has to be an early April fools joke? They can't possibly be thinking of installing this pile of @&?@ as the starting right tackle so they can move the 68th best right tackle in the league over to protect our only QBs blind side? Pete and John can't be that stupid! Can they?

ludakrishna

Reaction score
brimsalabim":n1yg74zv said:
Omfg this has to be an early April fools joke? They can't possibly be thinking of installing this pile of @&?@ as the starting right tackle so they can move the 68th best right tackle in the league over to protect our only QBs blind side? Pete and John can't be that stupid! Can they?

The end of Pete at USC began when he began thinking he was the smartest one in the room and let his arrogance not adapt. The same is happening with us. His arrogance of thinking we can survive with horse poop protection will lead to his demise.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Barthawk":3m6ncnlt said:
He is getting less than 50% what Sweezy just got.. i think it is an ok deal myself. 28 years old, started multiple games and has not been injury prone. Good signing I think.

Have you seen him play? Like kearly said this has a Cary Williams feel to it. Admittedly I didn't pay much attention to him in Oakland but in Chicago you could have subbed him out for a traffic cone and probably witnessed better blocking from the cone.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Holy overreaction!

What does a journeyman Lineman cost these days? Will the team actually lose a comp pick in signing him, if not he has a higher value doesn't he?

It's very early in the season and we do not know the full picture that Jn'P are trying to put together with Coach Cable for the OLine. J'Marcus Webb is just one guy and a player that ends the depth question for the team's OLine. He's big, long armed and plays with a nasty streak if his assessments are accurate. Maybe they are looking for hime to be a swing OLineman who can play relief minutes and not disappoint too badly. Maybe they want to add him to the pile at RT or RG and have him fight for a job.

If you believe that PFF OLine rankings are the be all and end all in terms of assessment then you are clearly bummed, but would also be bummed rankings wise if the team had brought back both Sweezy and Okung.

Webb is a big body apparently best suited to playing RG with some ability to play RT in a pinch. We don't know that he'll even make the team yet. I think it might be fair to see what kind of game he's got before making snap judgments.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Season is over and it's only March 15th and no games have been player, have to wait till 2017 now. :)

kearly

Reaction score
jammerhawk":hgasvn1p said:
Holy overreaction!

I don't care about anything PFF says. But I do care about a guy earning a starting job without ever showing anything positive in the NFL as a 28 year old. And the money committed here probably pencils him in to be the RT starter.

The real issue I have is that this kind of resource commitment will often negatively impact roster decisions. For example, Justin Britt has been a disaster, and yet he has 32 starts to his name. Had he been a UDFA and played equally as poorly, would he have lasted for 32 starts? How about Cary Williams? Would Cary Williams have ambushed our secondary for as long as he did if not for the financial investment in him?

For that reason, I don't like seeing Seattle put themselves in a situation where they are committed to a player that will most likely be pretty bad. It could cause them to give those players meaningful and damaging reps longer than they would do otherwise.

Barthawk":hgasvn1p said:
Significant money? Two years ago the cap was 20M less than it is now.. so add another 15% less to what Breno was paid in 2014.

I remember us saying we got training camp fodder in 2011 for Kelly Jennings when we got Clinton McDonald.. he turned out pretty ok..

I think the JR Sweezy deal was bad too. But that deal didn't force Seattle to sign Webb to starter money.

FWIW, I loved the McDonald trade when it went down (everyone hated Jennings; the deal was almost universally liked).

Breno's numbers were not exactly the same, I just brought him up for a frame of reference with regards to the contract Webb received.

kearly

Reaction score
sam1313":3ac77920 said:
Someone on Fieldgulls posted this youtube video that was supposedly Webb's highlight film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHW-YPIAz64

heh.

I don't like the decision-making process by JS here, but given Cable's track record with rehabilitating veteran OL, we should at least give Webb a chance before throwing him under the bus.

drdiags

Reaction score
I don't see why we are sweating a 2 yr, $6M contract with $2.5M guaranteed. How is that starting OT money? More like guard. And Sowell is getting the veterans minimum of $800K with a $200K signing bonus. If these two contracts break the bank, then there wasn't anything in the bank in the first case.

Webb isn't a top-notch player but it isn't like the Seahawks can be holding their noses when trying to straighten out this disaster they have made for themselves. If Sowell doesn't do anything, I will blame firebee and if Webb continues to stink and is the team's starting RT, I will look at Cable/Pete and John and shake my head.

Pete is showing his hubris? What a "what have you done for me lately" attitude that is. Sure, you have made my team better than the laughingstock it was just a few years ago. But you must please me now or all is forgotten. Geez.

Jville

Reaction score
Fast forwarding a couple of years down the road, perhaps Webb has arrived as a replacement for Michael Bowie. I have little doubt that Webb had maturity issues and a need to learn how to be a professional when he first came into the league. But, he has had some years to mature and he is probably further down the road in that regard than 2-3 year project Terry Poole.

I think I'll pass on becoming frozen over his past history and chose to be open to his emerging opportunity. Besides, they are still in the process of assembling a 90 man roster.

Viva la competencia.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I'm going with the "It'll take longer to run around him" theory, personally.
In that light, Webb's an upgrade.

Willyeye

Reaction score
DavidSeven":lnfr7oc8 said:
Maybe the team just isn't as high on Gilliam as people presume. PFF is a terrible measure, but it's the only one we got and they did rank him 68th out of all offensive tackles last season. That's nearly dead last. Although, to be fair, Webb graded out among the worst at his position as well.

I truly hope we're somehow outsmarting everyone here.

Gilliam is ranked #63 amongst Tackles, one spot above #64 Breno Giacomini. There are another 13 Tackles ranked below that. Webb is ranked #48 on the same list. Okung is ranked #31 on the same list. One big difference, Webb and Gilliam both had 16 starts. Okung didn't. More importantly, Gilliam improved all season long...very few Tackles do well in their rookie season. Look at some of the high draft picks last year that went on to start at Tackle. Flowers was ranked #74 on the list while Greg Robinson, a #2 overall pick in his second season, was ranked #73. Gilliam could end up better than both of them...give him a chance. BTW, Sowell doesn't qualify for the actual Tackle list, but if we take his grade, he would be the #36 ranked Tackle, only 5 spots behind Okung.

In the Guard rankings, Webb's (not on the Guard list so I used his Tackle grade and inserted the grade onto the Guard list) grade was just three spots behind Sweezy's, and he graded out 7 spots higher than Britt.

Webb is FAR from the worst at his position. Gilliam also isn't really that close to dead last as you put it. Sowell has the potential to contribute if he's no longer behind Jared Veldheer on the depth chart.

These pickups are not as bad as some may think they are. I believe them to actually be great pickups for the money the FO spent on them. With a little luck, Gilliam, Webb and Sowell could end up being starters on an average Hawks O-Line this year (I'd be thrilled if the line performed at an average level).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't subscribe to PFF, so I don't have their numbers. I'm citing an online source that had him 68th as of 1/26/16. Either way, whether it's 63rd or 68th, you're talking about being bottom tier on a list that includes injury replacements.

PFF itself had Webb rated as one of the two worst Guards into November of last season. Worst rated players at every position. (By the way, Gilliam gets an dishonorable mention in the same article.)

Anyway, as I said earlier, I don't advocate for their system; it's terrible. I would not rely on it as a sole measure of evaluating any player. I am just refuting this default presumption that they can play up to a league average level. If you've studied them and believe that, then that's one thing. Liking their attitude or whatever other metric we're using besides hard tape study doesn't do it for me.

Schadie001

Reaction score
ludakrishna":292t28qc said:
Signing OLINEMAN who actually have played on the OLINE rather than the DLine is improvement.

Afraid you are going to be very disappointed in our draft. I have heard several interviews with JS and Cable alike stating that the talent coming out of college at Oline does not fit our style of play based on the almost exclusive running of spread offenses. They have stated that they feel it is easier to teach an athletic Dlineman how to play Oline than to reteach a spread Olineman how to put his hand down and run block. This has played out in the last two years draft. We just aren't going to waiste high picks on spread offense olineman no matter how much this forum wants us to. Like it or not our Oline was by no means great but they were far better at the end of the year than the beginning. Cable took a bunch of rookies and guys playing new positions and didn't do a terrible job given the players he had. Hell we still were one of the best offenses in the league and Russell threw for more yards and TDs than he ever has.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Schadie001":3cdkb70q said:
ludakrishna":3cdkb70q said:
Signing OLINEMAN who actually have played on the OLINE rather than the DLine is improvement.

Afraid you are going to be very disappointed in our draft. I have heard several interviews with JS and Cable alike stating that the talent coming out of college at Oline does not fit our style of play based on the almost exclusive running of spread offenses. They have stated that they feel it is easier to teach an athletic Dlineman how to play Oline than to reteach a spread Olineman how to put his hand down and run block. This has played out in the last two years draft. We just aren't going to waiste high picks on spread offense olineman no matter how much this forum wants us to. Like it or not our Oline was by no means great but they were far better at the end of the year than the beginning. Cable took a bunch of rookies and guys playing new positions and didn't do a terrible job given the players he had. Hell we still were one of the best offenses in the league and Russell threw for more yards and TDs than he ever has.

And yet they have no qualms drafting a 6th round guy in the 2nd round...and then they actually let him start for 2 seasons...would have been wiser to draft a DT convert in that 2nd round and stash him for 2 years. Britt makes me cringe. Just curious, who has a better chance of starting this year? The traditional OL guy Glowinski or the DT convert Sokoli? If they get one of the following Tackles at pick #26: Decker, Ifedi, Spriggs, Coleman, I'd be pretty happy with the pick.

Exittium

Reaction score
and the very same people in this thread will say trust PC and JS and No doubt when others complain, yet here they are not trusting and doubting the moves PC and JS have made this offseason. Interesting tactics.