J'Marcus Webb signs

olyfan63

Reaction score
hawknation2016":1ljwi3ij said:
Carroll, Schneider, and Co. blew up this underperforming unit up so they can re-build it like they built the L.O.B. The best thing they can do this off-season is to provide the raw materials for competition, which is the team's driving force toward success.

Amen, brother.

If J'Marcus Webb does what he does in the way that Carroll and Cable envisioned for him, and still gets beaten out by Sowell, Britt, or a rook, he will have earned his money. That will also mean that Cable believes whoever is starting is playing at a level ABOVE what Webb, a known quantity, would provide. So a $3M guy, Webb, has pushed a 500K or 800K guy, to play at a 3M+ level. Beautiful. We also know there will be injuries on that line during the season; there always are. So Webb will almost certainly wind up playing and earning his money on the field in any case.

Every time people complain about the $3M a year contract, I immediately think, "Huh? When did 3M become a big contract?" It's only bigger than vet minimum or rookie contracts. The stat that Seattle spends under 6% of their cap on the OL, lowest in the league, is not under threat with this contract. I'm sure that many teams' LT make more (one player) than Seattle's entire OL.

The more I see of the MoneyBall OL rebuilding, the less likely it seems Okung will be back. 10-12 games of Okung on the field, and maybe full strength 8 or fewer. Poor value, IF we can get league average LT play from Gilliam.

Pete and John's similar approach to the QB position actually worked out OK.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2016":2nny7ft4 said:
The more I think about it, the more excited I am about them executing this strategy: let the inconsistent and overpaid guys walk, scour the free agency market for what they perceive to be bargain veterans, and then draft extremely well along the offensive line.

I like it too. Whether it works or not, it's fun to see a lot of new faces and have the new hope that comes with them.

I also like this draft for OL quite a bit, seems like a great year to need OL.

Fade

Reaction score
My biggest fear on the O-Line was bringing everyone back under the guise of continuity. I'm glad my fear has been put to rest so far through Free Agency. Letting Okung & Sweezy walk was the right call.

My other fear, and very real fear is Tom Cable playing favorites, and starting worse players over better players. See: playing Nowak over Lewis, and Britt over Glowinski. These decisions on the O-Line last year more than likely cost the team the division, and a legit shot at a Superbowl.

J'Marcus Webb was a horrible LT for the Bears, that's all i know about him, but apparently he has been brought in to play Guard for the Hawks. I like him over Britt at LG.

McGruff

Reaction score
Fade":1akq8cd3 said:
My biggest fear on the O-Line was bringing everyone back under the guise of continuity. I'm glad my fear has been put to rest so far through Free Agency. Letting Okung & Sweezy walk was the right call.

My other fear, and very real fear is Tom Cable playing favorites, and starting worse players over better players. See: playing Nowak over Lewis, and Britt over Glowinski. These decisions on the O-Line last year more than likely cost the team the division, and a legit shot at a Superbowl.

J'Marcus Webb was a horrible LT for the Bears, that's all i know about him, but apparently he has been brought in to play Guard for the Hawks. I like him over Britt at LG.

They are listing him at tackle, most likely right tackle. Take it for what it's worth, which given how much we play musical chairs with linemen, isn't much.

That being said, I think you will see them TRY to establish Gilliam at LT, Britt/Sokoli at LG, Lewis/Nowak at Center, Glowinski at RG and Webb at RT and go from there. I think that is what they would want.

chris98251

Reaction score
McGruff":274fyjuc said:
Fade":274fyjuc said:

They are listing him at tackle, most likely right tackle. Take it for what it's worth, which given how much we play musical chairs with linemen, isn't much.

That being said, I think you will see them TRY to establish Gilliam at LT, Britt/Sokoli at LG, Lewis/Nowak at Center, Glowinski at RG and Webb at RT and go from there. I think that is what they would want.

Can't look at the play somewhere else as a reference unless the scheme is the same, our scheme requires a different skill set then many others, it's obvious that the Front office and Cable look for a skill set that will succeed in his schemes, I also think it's why when our Lineman leave here they have been coached up to be able to work well in a more traditional offense having worked in one that requires more effort to succeed in.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I have never seen Pete have investment bias. Not with Matt Flynn, and I doubt with Webb. The Fieldgulls article is absolutely ridiculous considering Pete's history. "J'Marcus Webb contract indicates Seahawks see him as starter-caliber"

It could also mean that they see him as a great back up but competition raised his price.

And 2 years 6 million isn't that much money. Less than a lot of offensive linemen such as Sweezy, Breno (4 years 18 Million), Carpenter, (4 years 19 million). on and on. Pete will cut Webb without hesitation if someone outperforms him.

J'Marcus is basically getting kicker money (Hauschka 3 years 8,550,000)

And I believe that our coaching staff will improve this young man's game. I mean, what's the evidence against him? Jay Cutler acting like a whiny little bitch?

There's no telling how well he played in Oakland, but they had a decent offensive team last year, giving up 33 sacks, the same as the Cowboys, and a lot less than Seattle's 46. And that's without anything at RB. They did have Amari Cooper at WR, but he was about it. This year Oakland had the cap space, so they went with more expensive options on the OLine.

In 2015 the Raiders threw the ball 605 times, that's 14th in the league. Meanwhile they ran the ball 23.1 times per game, 29th in the league. So 33 sacks isn't a bad number. Again, there's no telling how much that was attributable to Webb, but it reflects positively on the OLine in general.

I'm sure Webb will be motivated to play well, because this is basically a 1 year, 3.6 million dollar deal, with a cap friendly 2nd year should he do okay.

I see this as a low risk, good upside deal that could really help this line come together early. I think this will actually turn out really well as he has experience, and the body size, he just needs some stability. He hasn't had that anywhere else.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Nice post. I agree that structure doesn't dictate anything in this scenario. I also think they looked at this particular player and thought about the successes of Giacomini though.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":f7fv1ozp said:
I have never seen Pete have investment bias. Not with Matt Flynn, and I doubt with Webb. The Fieldgulls article is absolutely ridiculous considering Pete's history. "J'Marcus Webb contract indicates Seahawks see him as starter-caliber"
J'Marcus is basically getting kicker money (Hauschka 3 years 8,550,000)

lol wut. Yeah a bottom of the league OT is getting as much money as one of the 3 best kickers in football. I guess that's something to hang our hats on. Woo hoo!

And I believe that our coaching staff will improve this young man's game. I mean, what's the evidence against him? Jay Cutler acting like a whiny little bitch?

Well that and the fact he's 27 and now on his 5th team. You know since the really good OL go through 5 teams in 6 seasons as a pro.

Or the fact he's been graded at the bottom of the league for guards and tackles.

Or the fact he's played at LT, failed .. moved to RT, failed .. moved to guard .. apparently failed there too since Oakland with all their cap room (you touch upon this later in your post) let him walk for that kicker money.

There's no telling how well he played in Oakland, but they had a decent offensive team last year, giving up 33 sacks, the same as the Cowboys, and a lot less than Seattle's 46. And that's without anything at RB. They did have Amari Cooper at WR, but he was about it. This year Oakland had the cap space, so they went with more expensive options on the OLine.

Clearly he didn't play incredibly well because they made no effort to keep him. And a big reason they are "without anything at RB" is because... their offensive line did not block for Latavius Murray. And one of the biggest culprits is.... wait for it.... J'Marcus Webb! Egad!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2578 ... n-blocking

I'm sure Webb will be motivated to play well, because this is basically a 1 year, 3.6 million dollar deal, with a cap friendly 2nd year should he do okay.

Well that's good. He's 27 and has been let go or allowed to walk in FA with no fight to retain him by 4 teams .. so hopefully now the motivation will really kick in.

I see this as a low risk, good upside deal that could really help this line come together early. I think this will actually turn out really well as he has experience, and the body size, he just needs some stability. He hasn't had that anywhere else.

Because he is absolutely terrible.

:34853_doh:

lukerguy

Reaction score
The only problem I have with the signing is he's paid for what they hope and envision him to become and not what he put on the field last season as one of the worst guards in the league.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Anyone remember when we started converted DT Drew Nowak to C to begin the season and he single handled lost us a chance at winning the division? Well this sort of smells like this to me.

I always trust management, it's just Cable who I don't whom has full autonomy over his line.

cheese22

Reaction score
Pre-draft left to right: Gilliam, Sowell, Lewis, Glowinski and Webb.

Post draft option #1: Gilliam, Ifedi, McGovern, Glowinski and Webb.

Post draft option #2: Gilliam, Webb, Ryan Kelly, Glowinski and McGovern.

Post draft option #3: Ifedi, McGovern, Nick Martin, Glowinski and Gilliam.

I think #1 is the most realistic. After a year or two I would love to see Ifedi, Soko, McGovern, Glowinski, Gilliam. (If they earned the starts) Big, strong and athletic. I have a special place in my heart for Soko because he could be a real harass on this team.

Your opinions?

Basis4day

Reaction score
lukerguy":2vehuf84 said:
Anyone remember when we started converted DT Drew Nowak to C to begin the season and he single handled lost us a chance at winning the division? Well this sort of smells like this to me.

I always trust management, it's just Cable who I don't whom has full autonomy over his line.

There sure are a lot of players last year that single handedly cost us last year. Nowack, Britt, Cary Williams, Kam, Bennett against greenbay...

It's almost like the team's success is based on the collective play of the entire team.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
RT - Gilliam
RG - Webb/ Glo
C- Lewis/ draftee FA
KG - Britt/ Glo
LT - draftee/ FA / Gilliam

I see Sowell as the utility OL like Bailey was. I've no idea what the final mix will be, but from one perspective it seems we are further ahead than last year, LT being the glaring exception. I don't expect a world class OL, but we can do well with merely an average one, and it seems we're close to that if these guys can work as a unit.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
olyfan63":3g5ee6g3 said:
Every time people complain about the $3M a year contract, I immediately think, "Huh? When did 3M become a big contract?" It's only bigger than vet minimum or rookie contracts. The stat that Seattle spends under 6% of their cap on the OL, lowest in the league, is not under threat with this contract. I'm sure that many teams' LT make more (one player) than Seattle's entire OL.

In fact

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/710919670237278208[/tweet]

I know that isn't exactly what you were saying, but close enough.

Edited to add, Condota posted this shortly after Okung signed with Denver

- bsd