J'Marcus Webb signs

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Willyeye":2ys1te20 said:
Hasselbeck":2ys1te20 said:
This guy is complete garbage. Hope it was a very cheap deal

Yeah, he's just as bad as Sweezy, but I'm sure he's a lot less expensive than Sweezy.

He's worse. Much, much worse.

Hoping a rookie beats him out for a roster spot .. he makes Alvin Bailey look like Walter Jones.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1cig9cm2 said:
Hoping a rookie beats him out for a roster spot .. he makes Alvin Bailey look like Walter Jones.

I'm hoping he over-achieves the same way Giacomini, McQuistan, and Omiyale did. Those guys sucked real bad before coming to Seattle, and were close to league average under Cable.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb here. The general consensus of this site is that Britt sucked so bad at Tackle that he was moved to Guard. That's really only the effect, not the cause. The cause was that our LG we trotted out was so terrible, that we had to move Britt over to LG to shore up the position, knowing we had Gilliam to take over at Tackle. There was also a glaring need to get Gilliam some game experience if he was going to replace Okung at LT. I personally think that the Hawks were never going to pay market rate for Okung.

The problem with this consensus is that it's patently wrong when held up to Cable's OL philosophy. Cable has never cared that much about pass blocking, only run blocking. Britt was one of the best run blocking RT's in the league his rookie year, although we all know he struggled at pass pro, that's not a knock in Cable's book. Also, both Cable and Schneider said that coming from Mizzou, Britt was going to need some seasoning after working in the exaggerated splits that OLmen have to in the college spread. I honestly haven't seen any team give up on a Tackle after his rookie year. Hell even Cleveland doesn't run things that way.

I think that Webb could be a swing RT, but he's not slotted to start there. If he had shown a glimmer anywhere, he would've been sought after at RT. Look at FA and the draft; it's needed, it's shallow and teams know this. I theorize that Webb, Sokoli, Sowell, and Glowinski (and mayble Poole) are going to compete at Guard. Britt slides back to RT. We're also going to see a Center drafted, and Sokoli and Lewis will also compete with him at Center.

The other theory is that Sowell is our new RT. I haven't seen Sowell, but they didn't pay him like they thought he was the answer at the starting RT spot. I'm guessing they think Britt can improve and be an average to decent RT.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Hawks46":1zq8w5af said:
I'm going out on a limb here. The general consensus of this site is that Britt sucked so bad at Tackle that he was moved to Guard. That's really only the effect, not the cause. The cause was that our LG we trotted out was so terrible, that we had to move Britt over to LG to shore up the position, knowing we had Gilliam to take over at Tackle. There was also a glaring need to get Gilliam some game experience if he was going to replace Okung at LT. I personally think that the Hawks were never going to pay market rate for Okung.

The problem with this consensus is that it's patently wrong when held up to Cable's OL philosophy. Cable has never cared that much about pass blocking, only run blocking. Britt was one of the best run blocking RT's in the league his rookie year, although we all know he struggled at pass pro, that's not a knock in Cable's book. Also, both Cable and Schneider said that coming from Mizzou, Britt was going to need some seasoning after working in the exaggerated splits that OLmen have to in the college spread. I honestly haven't seen any team give up on a Tackle after his rookie year. Hell even Cleveland doesn't run things that way.

I think that Webb could be a swing RT, but he's not slotted to start there. If he had shown a glimmer anywhere, he would've been sought after at RT. Look at FA and the draft; it's needed, it's shallow and teams know this. I theorize that Webb, Sokoli, Sowell, and Glowinski (and mayble Poole) are going to compete at Guard. Britt slides back to RT. We're also going to see a Center drafted, and Sokoli and Lewis will also compete with him at Center.

The other theory is that Sowell is our new RT. I haven't seen Sowell, but they didn't pay him like they thought he was the answer at the starting RT spot. I'm guessing they think Britt can improve and be an average to decent RT.
It's possible. I also thought Poole looked pretty damn good at RT in preseason and could have something to say about it even though he was playing against backups.

Either way, I like your sort of out of the box take on it. At least it's not some ish tweeted by a random reporter taken as the gospel truth.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
kearly":327rwc3q said:
Hasselbeck":327rwc3q said:

I'm hoping he over-achieves the same way Giacomini, McQuistan, and Omiyale did. Those guys sucked real bad before coming to Seattle, and were close to league average under Cable.
I was just thinking about McQuistan the other day for no other reason than how he completely launched Keuchly 5 yards onto his back when he was a rook.

No real reason for bringing that up other than it was a random thought.

Hawks46

Reaction score
pehawk":1c14jhci said:
I love me tackles that can play guard.

I also love dressing in women's lingerie for versatile linemen.

And that's why we missed you Pe !

King Dog

Reaction score
Wow
Aaron Wilson ‏@AaronWilson_NFL 25m25 minutes ago
J'Marcus Webb Seahawks deal: $6 million, $2.45M gtd, $1.2M signing bonus, salaries $1.25M (gtd), $2.2M, $31,250 per game active bonus annual

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Great move, pay him like he's better than he is, and he might play like he's better than he is. Love it. Great stuff. Killing free agency!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Interesting.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/709829236559716352[/tweet]

(GG is Gilliam, since this tweet is out of context)

naholmes

Reaction score
That makes him the Seahawks highest paid lineman. I guess they consider Webb a starting at tackle.

mrt144

Reaction score
HawkFan72":wsknvrr5 said:
Interesting.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/709829236559716352[/tweet]

(GG is Gilliam, since this tweet is out of context)

Left Tackle!

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Sounds like I might be onto something with Webb at RT and Gilliam at LT.

I still think Poole might have something to say at RT though. I'm certain Webb hasn't been made any promises.

Who knows, maybe Britt will chime in too, as a previous post suggested.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Maybe the team just isn't as high on Gilliam as people presume. PFF is a terrible measure, but it's the only one we got and they did rank him 68th out of all offensive tackles last season. That's nearly dead last. Although, to be fair, Webb graded out among the worst at his position as well.

I truly hope we're somehow outsmarting everyone here.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
King Dog":1jfzt28e said:
Wow
Aaron Wilson ‏@AaronWilson_NFL 25m25 minutes ago
J'Marcus Webb Seahawks deal: $6 million, $2.45M gtd, $1.2M signing bonus, salaries $1.25M (gtd), $2.2M, $31,250 per game active bonus annual
Unreal. 6 million for the only offensive lineman that could make Jay Cutler show emotion.

This move is very suspect.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Overseasfan":33gwhymz said:
vin.couve12":33gwhymz said:
Is that a one year deal?

The way it's written down it looks more like a two year deal but it's hard to tell.

It's two.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/709824909841670145[/tweet]