Joe Haden

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Now Peterson is claiming he is worth more than Sherm...sounds like he is going to push to be highest paid. LOL, hope he enjoys hurting his team for his ego. All I can say is go for it, hold out for 20 mil per year, hehheheh.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... rd-sherman

Also related, Willie makes Baldy look like a baffoon w/ facts and stats in the "who is best cornerback argument".

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-t ... in-the-NFL

Love me some Sherm and Hawks. :thirishdrinkers:

EDIT: add link

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Haden is elite, might even be the #2 CB behind Sherm in entire league

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
drdiags":3byd5w4y said:
The big issue the NFLN and ESPN analysts hit Sherman with is that he doesn't shadow the #1 WR all over the field. It is what Prime told him he would like to see more of. Doesn't matter to those yahoos that the Seahawks defense changes for no man, it is what all these guys use to measure what they consider a shut-down corner.

That is why Haden, Revis and Peterson get so much love. It is what the skins' DeAngelo used to pump himself up. You can argue until you are blue in the face but these types will not change how they judge corners. Plus in Prime's case, it keeps the worship coming his way long after his time in the game.
My answer to them......least targeted, most ints.

/discussion

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
drdiags":96578slx said:
The big issue the NFLN and ESPN analysts hit Sherman with is that he doesn't shadow the #1 WR all over the field. It is what Prime told him he would like to see more of. Doesn't matter to those yahoos that the Seahawks defense changes for no man, it is what all these guys use to measure what they consider a shut-down corner.

That is why Haden, Revis and Peterson get so much love. It is what the skins' DeAngelo used to pump himself up. You can argue until you are blue in the face but these types will not change how they judge corners. Plus in Prime's case, it keeps the worship coming his way long after his time in the game.
He can shadow (he did with Boldin) but the defensive scheme doesn't call for it.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Haden is a beast, no doubt about it.

Gotta pay your players, especially if they show up on Sundays.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Coug_Hawk08":2y92vz03 said:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/14/corners-getting-paid/

Not that close.

I was just coming to post this.

Let me highlight one (of many) points in Sherman's favor, this one about shadowing the #1 WR vs. locking down one side of the field:

While Haden and Peterson may have the more varied assignments, teams were more willing to avoid one area (Sherman) than not throw to their top target (Haden and Peterson).

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":vd5g43ms said:
drdiags":vd5g43ms said:

He can shadow (he did with Boldin) but the defensive scheme doesn't call for it.

Exactly Mizzou Jo, I wonder what the other team's schemes would be like if they just said defensive secondary. He, being a DB, wants to get paid and the old primetime dude needs to keep his knickers in a bunch to make his points, but real facts is facts. In a perfect NFL world, they are all team mates. The lesser of two evils is not always the lesser of two evils. :twisted:

drdiags

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1qrt6w3g said:

We know that already, as noted in the 9ers game when he shadowed Boldin when Browner was out. So not sure why you are telling me something I already know. I am just telling you what I hear as the excuse from players and analyst when they try to downplay his claim. If they were paying attention they would know that Sherman has asked several times to do the very thing they downgrade him about.

In the end, screw them. He got paid and they can anoint whomever they want. Doesn't change the fact that this team values Sherman as if he was the best in the game. Other teams are responding to their own #1 CB with contracts that will be based off of what Sherman has done.

Haden got more guaranteed money, which is all that really counts, though he did have to give up an extra year to get that $5M difference. Next up is Patrick Peterson.

JZ#1

Reaction score
Haden is legit, but why do this deal now and why guarantee such a large portion of the contract. Doesn't make sense. Haden is better than Peterson tho.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
JZ#1":1g2prkkn said:
Haden is legit, but why do this deal now and why guarantee such a large portion of the contract. Doesn't make sense.
On one hand, it's all about stroking egos. Haden is one of a few to be in the conversation as a top tier corner and be coming up on a contract year. He feels he deserves to be the highest paid corner, and the Browns accommodated him.

But just like the Seahawks' situation with Sherman, it isn't going to be long before Haden's contract doesn't look so outrageous for the Browns. In three years, it won't be a bargain exactly, but they'll have more room under the cap. And in the mean time, they have a happy corner.