Jose Caballero traded for Luke Raley

bileever

Reaction score
This seems like a great trade for us. Raley had a break out season last year. He could be solid bat.

Getting Haniger and Raley is a good first step. Now if we can only add a solid third baseman.

Crizilla

Reaction score
If Hanny stays healthy and Raley gives us .250, .330+, 20-25 then that's huge. My guess is he will play outfield maybe some first? Raley is a big dude

sutz

Reaction score
I kinda liked Cabby, but we do have too many "utility" type players to be honest. Fraley sounds like a great addition.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This seems like a great trade for us. Raley had a break out season last year. He could be solid bat.

Getting Haniger and Raley is a good first step. Now if we can only add a solid third baseman.
Wasn't Ty France a 3rd baseman originally before being moved to 1B? Maybe that could be an option if they don't want to spend on getting another bonafide player at 3B.

OP
OP
bileever

bileever

Reaction score
It's very interesting that the Rays believe that Jose Caballero has the talent to be a starting MLB shortstop. The following Tampa Bay Times article says that with Wander Franco's legal situation and Taylor Walls injury, they needed to get a starting caliber shortstop and were wiliing to trade Raley.

On paper, Raley seems like a better player than Caballero. Raley: .249 BA, .824 OPS, 2.8 WAR. Caballero: .221 BA, .663 OPS, 2.4 WAR. But the Rays' front office is one of the best at talent evaluation, so who knows? Maybe Caballero was the best they could get with who they were offering.

Fan73

Reaction score
It's very interesting that the Rays believe that Jose Caballero has the talent to be a starting MLB shortstop. The following Tampa Bay Times article says that with Wander Franco's legal situation and Taylor Walls injury, they needed to get a starting caliber shortstop and were wiliing to trade Raley.

On paper, Raley seems like a better player than Caballero. Raley: .249 BA, .824 OPS, 2.8 WAR. Caballero: .221 BA, .663 OPS, 2.4 WAR. But the Rays' front office is one of the best at talent evaluation, so who knows? Maybe Caballero was the best they could get with who they were offering.

I agree. I am a little concerned with the reasons why Tampa agreed with this trade. Tampa does have a tendency to find a gem in a rock pile.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
Wasn't Ty France a 3rd baseman originally before being moved to 1B? Maybe that could be an option if they don't want to spend on getting another bonafide player at 3B.
I was thinking this. If we want to field our best offensive players, put France at 3b and Luke at 1b. We have several OF who are better than the current 3b options.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I was thinking this. If we want to field our best offensive players, put France at 3b and Luke at 1b. We have several OF who are better than the current 3b options.
Thats what’s baffling is they either don’t or chose not too.