Josh Norman to the Redskins, 5 years, $75 million

pehawk

Reaction score
drdiags":3irih912 said:
Seahawks did the same thing to Leroy Hill so it isn't out of the question that Carolina and Norman can work something out.

I remember that. Also remember getting flamed for calling Ruskell a slime for doing it. I hated Ruskell before it was cool.

kearly

Reaction score
It's very likely he's going to be looking for a 1 year deal to re-establish his value as a free agent in 2017. Whoever gets him is getting a steal. Not just a good player, but they'll basically be getting a 3rd round comp pick in 2018 when he leaves the next year.

I know Seattle just got burned by the Cary Williams move, but they should be all over this.

My guess is that he ends up on a 1 year deal in New England. It fits Belichick's MO like a glove.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kearly":ksw9k2vj said:
It's very likely he's going to be looking for a 1 year deal to re-establish his value as a free agent in 2017. Whoever gets him is getting a steal. Not just a good player, but they'll basically be getting a 3rd round comp pick in 2018 when he leaves the next year.

I know Seattle just got burned by the Cary Williams move, but they should be all over this.

My guess is that he ends up on a 1 year deal in New England. It fits Belichick's MO like a glove.

Why take a one year prove it deal when he wasn't going to sign his franchise tag?

Maybe im reading you wrong. Long day.

jake206

Reaction score
Basis4day":irpzwjs4 said:
jake206":irpzwjs4 said:
Sign him....up. Sherman Browner and Norman...do it.

We aren't swimming in cash.

He's probably only getting the minimum anyways. This is not a good time for free agents to find big deals.

kearly

Reaction score
Basis4day":1u5rntex said:
Why take a one year prove it deal when he wasn't going to sign his franchise tag?

Maybe im reading you wrong. Long day.

Not signing the franchise tag is a well known negotiation tactic. Walter Jones famously used this tactic and even held out from signing into the regular season at times.

This tactic has its risks though, as Norman just found out.

I'm stating the obvious when I say that Norman's ability to get a hefty long term contract is greatly diminished at this point in FA. It makes sense for him to lick his wounds and try for another shot at FA at the start of free agency in 2017. To do that, he'll need to sign a 1 year deal with a good defense to help keep his value high.

Seattle makes a LOT of sense and they can move money around to make it happen. I think they would probably do exactly that, if not for them having PTSD over Cary Williams. I think Williams scared them away from free agent corners... at least for a few years.

Jville

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":29gnen15 said:
Who wants to bet the Niners swoop in and offer a truck load of cash?

Not me. I'm guessing this is a big profit taking year for the York family.

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
And now we know the glaring position weakness for the Panthers. Say hi to Baldwin, Lockette, Graham, and Kearse. Have fun kitties.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
49ers now in a prime position after they were bashed for not spending any of their money. They have no excuse to not go after Norman.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Carolina's front seven is great but without Norman that secondary is gonna get toasted every game.

This is even more proof of the amazing job Schneider has done keeping Sherm, Earl and Kam together.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
I agree with crtcat-smart move. Why dedicate 16+ million of salary cap space for a player who is threatening to hold out for 10 weeks? Better to get rid of him and move on.

The Joey Galloway situation still pisses me off after all these years I guess.

pehawk

Reaction score
Chip Kelly and Josh Norman would get along great.

mikeak

Reaction score
He can still get big money

All you do is play him this year for a minimum with guaranteed money in 2017 and 2018 with a decent signing bonus. Hardly hits the cap this year, no risk for him as the money is guaranteed.

Of course not as nice as being available day 1 of the Free Agency but the cap can get manipulated so many ways by 95% of the teams in this league (always some that don't have any room)

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
In all seriousness, this was about two men that are arguable putting themselves above the team they share an employment over.

Granted, a little speculation at that point, but you don't expect to go back to the big game by letting your second most valuable defensive player go in a position you are obviously stretched thin on even with him on the roster. Trade him. He's walking away without them getting anything.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
the oddity is that the Panthers did offer him the tag in the first place, that he had plenty of time to sign with the cap ramifications, and the Panthers knew he was looking to get the highest CB contract. Doing this makes it more likely they'll get a lesser compensatory pick in return with clubs spending most of their free agency money (or Norman signing a 1 year deal, with an outrageously high 2nd year option a la Revis w/ Pats, to test free agency next year, equating to a 6th round compensatory for example)... which is why speculation some event, be it a failed test or legal, contributed to this move.