Josh Norman to the Redskins, 5 years, $75 million

RichNhansom

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2bt6m7q2 said:
49ers now in a prime position after they were bashed for not spending any of their money. They have no excuse to not go after Norman.

Norman would only sign there if he is over paid and on a long contract. You don't take a 1 year prove it deal with a franchise that just signed a defense killer as the head coach. He would get lost in that defensive scheme and be worth less next year when FA comes along.

Jags on a one year deal would be smart for him. Very possible that team comes out of the woodwork and is much improved. Signing into that would make him look like he was part of the reason for their rise.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I could see the Titans making a push for him. Paying for him and letting him walk in FA next season would probably net you a 3rd round comp pick.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
if he goes to the raiders, they become serious contenders in the afc, if they werent already

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1c6qym4b said:
Norman is overrated. He'd be the third best corner on the Seahawks. Just sayin'

No. I can't scroll past this without saying how much I disagree. The dude is a top 5 CB in the league. He's probably better right now than Sherm. Stop. Please.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pehawk":1x0qh7ci said:
drdiags":1x0qh7ci said:
Seahawks did the same thing to Leroy Hill so it isn't out of the question that Carolina and Norman can work something out.

I remember that. Also remember getting flamed for calling Ruskell a slime for doing it. I hated Ruskell before it was cool.
I hated Ruskell before it was acceptable

Sac

Reaction score
McGruff":mg9c7t1u said:
Trenchbroom":mg9c7t1u said:
Cut loose before the draft--that is interesting indeed.

And after the money has dried up. If I was Norman I'd be pissed.
The Raiders still have plenty of cash. Kid is going to be in silver and black.

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
IMO
Norman is one of the top 5 corners in the league when he is playing in the system he was developed in; the Panthers current defense. Much like many free agents that I have seen brought in by the Seahawks over the years I don't think that Mr. Norman will be bringing the same level of play to another team unless the system and role are similar to Carolina, at least not initially. He is talented and motivated enough to adjust eventually.
I have also seen many recent Seahawk free agent departures not be as effective on their new teams as they were in Seattle. Both Seattle and Carolina have front offices that know what they are looking for and have had success finding it. Most players that leave these kind of organizations never find the kind of production and efficiency that they had with the team that taught them how to be NFL players.
The Panthers defensive scheme is well planned and not dependent on a lot of deception. It is run by a deep group of competent football players. Their personnel includes some of the best at their position and maybe the best defensive player in the league in Kuechly.
Reading through most of the previous posts I was surprised how much value over replacement was being placed on Norman within the system. Although there is sure to be a drop off, due largely to any player having to learn the "Norman" role in the defense, its more likely that the scheme and experienced existing defensive personnel will minimize having a new player in the role and adjust the role of the new player to his strengths.
The next ten years should be an amazing time to be fans of both of these teams. Both look poised to be in contention for championships for as long as they have their current core playing in their prime and the current front office structures in place as well. Then again I thought we would have the best rivalry with the niners for a decade. As long as its the Hawks and we're competing for titles, it could be any teams in the other roles and I would be excited.
Go Hawks!

kf3339

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":39zoy2vx said:
hawkfan68":39zoy2vx said:
Norman is overrated. He'd be the third best corner on the Seahawks. Just sayin'

No. I can't scroll past this without saying how much I disagree. The dude is a top 5 CB in the league. He's probably better right now than Sherm. Stop. Please.

Really? Better than Sherm?

You must be delusional.

Largent80

Reaction score
ctrcat says he loves it but if Seattle swoops him up the haterade will flow like the Dark Side.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
According to PFF Norman has been a (if not the) top CB in the MFL for the last two years.

It's just that nobody noticed the first year because he didn't have high INT numbers that year, which is just a horrible way to evaluate CB play (see: Marcus Peters being a pro-bowler his rookie year).

The major knock on Norman should be rejected by Hawks fans, as it's the same one used to knock Sherman: he plays primarily in a zone scheme which protects his limitations and accentuates what he's good at, and he might be more scheme dependent than a guy like Revis, Harris, or Peterson.

The other issue for him is that he turns 29 this season, so whoever is signing him needs to be very mindful of the contract length and how guaranteed it is on the back end (both things his agent is surely aware of and will be fighting against it).

He's also never been fast, so there's a possibility that age could really push his ability off a cliff (e.g you can scheme to protect a CB in his 20s running a 4.6 or so, but a CB in his 30s running a 4.8 or so better be able to play safety).

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
Largent80":w08i4hco said:
ctrcat says he loves it but if Seattle swoops him up the haterade will flow like the Dark Side.

As I've said I think most fans are homers, but I try to be objective. I write most of my posts here from a Panther perspective because there's a dearth of it here, but I have seen the world from other perspectives too, and if Seattle gets him, more power to them. My post history shows they weren't going to overpay Norman. Unlike the league mandated Hardy situation or the team's Steve Smith (that most don't know cost the team money) decision, this decision cost nothing as the tag money is immediately recouped. No doubt he's a great player though so only time will tell how the money is used. Corner is now a need but I still expect an appropriate reaction, not a reach or knee jerk response.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ctrcat":3q95t6qc said:
if Seattle gets him, more power to them.

That this even has to be talked about as a serious proposition is in itself kinda funny.

TBF he'd be a woooooonderrrfullllllll fit for what the Seahawks do, but really, LOL.

The Jags are really the only team right now that should be strong players in this sweepstakes, IMO. There will be more teams throwing their hat in no doubt, but save for the Jags I don't think it makes sense for anyone else.

The Jags already have a great offense, still have as much cap room as anyone, and if in an off season to their defense they add Jackson, Gipson, Norman, Fowler (who missed his whole rookier year), and Ramsey/Bosa/Buckner/Jack at #5 there's a chance that they're competing immediately come September.

Loooove this move for the Jags, kinda hate it for anyone else who isn't in win-now mode with a realistic shot of winning now (read: Patriots).

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Detroit could really use him but I don't know their cap situation. Their CB group is very weak too.

Boycie

Reaction score
Nothinbutm":23anuihb said:
And now we know the glaring position weakness for the Panthers. Say hi to Baldwin, Lockette, Graham, and Kearse. Have fun kitties.

That's not going to matter much if our O-line is the equivalent to a bunch of turnstiles.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This is shitty business by the Panthers. Fully within the rules, though.

That fact alone would make me take the Panthers off my list of teams I would do business with.

I still think a team with money free that wants to play more press cover, and because press cover is the flavor of the hour, there are a few, will pay him well. He is going to lose some of the premium of having all the teams compete at the start of free agency, but he should get a good offer somewhere.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
Rumor is Josh made it clear he would hold out for a long term deal.

If that's the case, letting him go now saves a major league headache for the Panthers this offseason which could have bled into the regular season.

Dave Gettleman is executive of the year for a reason.

pehawk

Reaction score
Cary Kollins":3c64er6p said:

True...he has that one over Schneider. No one can or will ever be able to take that from Dave or Ryan (Grigson...not Davis...although I could win that title easy).

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
He's now hired a new agent. The chances of him remaining a Panther go from super slim to slim.

RussB

Reaction score
He was a big reason the panthers secondary wasnt completely trash last year. Now wilson will torch them even easier next time.

12thbrah

Reaction score
pehawk":3a9ffo8n said:
Cary Kollins":3a9ffo8n said:

True...he has that one over Schneider. No one can or will ever be able to take that from Dave or Ryan (Grigson...not Davis...although I could win that title easy).

So Gettleman gets credit for the performance of a team whose core of stud players he never drafted? The executive of the year award is a joke.