Julius Peppers possilbe cap casualty target?

Jville

Reaction score
Julius Peppers should return to Carolina for his farewell tour.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":122vv5f6 said:
Competition is always a good thing if they can't hang they won't be on the TEAM thats for sure. Pete Carroll don't mess around the best players play and the competition elevates everyones game. So i don't see where bringing in a ring hungry veteran on a young team that just won their first superbowl is a bad thing. I don't think Seattle can afford to be complacent they need to improve because they are now public enemy number 1 in the NFL. St. louis has the draft(2,1st rounders) and I expect big moves from San Fran and Arizona in free agency so Seattle has to do a little more than signing or re-signing Earl thomas, Golden Tate, and Michael Bennett. Draft for offense, a key free agent on D-line(Allen or Peppers), and seattle should be good to make another run at a superbowl next year.
They don't need to "improve," they just need to keep doing what they're doing with the type of young, ascending players that they already have. Adding an over-aged, regressing, one-dimensional, middlingly-serviceable DE like Julius Peppers does nothing to make the Seahawks D-line better in 2014, let alone beyond that. Again, that's not the Seahawks' player personnel strategy. Covering your ears, shouting "la, la, la, la!!" while kicking and screaming for Julius Peppers isn't going to change that.

drdiags

Reaction score
Why?

I can imagine there will be folks bellyaching when there isn't some wow name FA pick-up. But one of our more respected posters brought up Allen. I put this in that same category.

kearly

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2ouixjpn said:
No. No. No.

We aren't that team anymore that has to desperately lure in past-their-prime stars to patch a hole.

That's not us.

volsunghawk":2ouixjpn said:
Lynch Mob":2ouixjpn said:
Sure he's not a every down player anymore but put him in the Seahawks rotation and he would do damage. Name me one other Chicago D-lineman not named Henry Melton becuase he was injured most of the season. So Peppers never had much help and he's older but put him in Seattle's rotation for 20 snaps and he could do what he used to do. I would rather have Jared Allen but Peppers could be another alternative.

Why are you desperate to pick up over-the-hill big names?

You know who I want in free agency?

NO ONE.

I don't want the Hawks looking any further than the VMAC for the free agents they need to sign.

I kinda think Seattle stands pat too. But I don't know where this popular sentiment that Seattle should avoid vets is coming from. The exact opposite is true. Seattle signed Winfield last season, pursued Woodson for weeks, kicked the tires on Abraham, kept a 36 year old Lawyer Milloy in 2010, signed an over 30 Raheem Brock twice, attempted to trade for Jared Allen a few months ago, and so on.

Ever see the movie Moneyball? There is a scene in there where Billy Beane sits down with David Justice, who was old as dirt in baseball years. He tells him "we're not paying you to be who you used to be, we just want to squeeze what little ability you still have left for one more season."

If Seattle does sign Jared Allen this offseason, it won't be out of delusions of grandeur. They won't be banking on another 22 sack season from Allen. The reason they'd sign him is because Allen is a solid bet to produce a 5-10 sack season, while making Craig Terrill type money on an over the hill type contract.

Building a great roster is all about maximizing bang for the buck, and that means identifying league wide biases and attacking them. Zigging when others zag. This is why Seattle has been so masterful in the draft, but just as big a reason for their success has been identifying misfits in FA who come dirt cheap and produce (Tony McDaniel had a terrific season last year for $800k, etc.)

There is no bias in the NFL greater than age bias. This is why Seattle has been so aggressive targeting older players. Old players on cheap short-term contracts can be some of the bigger bargains in free agency. And the more bargain contracts you score, the better your team will be.

calhawkfan

Reaction score
Cut Clemmons, Rice, and Big Red, let Bennett walk and try and Greg Hardy from Carolina. Just my thoughts.

Treefiddy

Reaction score
calhawkfan":22v9t9qm said:
Cut Clemmons, Rice, and Big Red, let Bennett walk and try and Greg Hardy from Carolina. Just my thoughts.
Hardy wants a monster contract

jblaze

Reaction score
He'll be lucky to get the league minimum this year and yes, he's cut, 100%.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
drdiags":104dar02 said:
Why?

I can imagine there will be folks bellyaching when there isn't some wow name FA pick-up. But one of our more respected posters brought up Allen. I put this in that same category.
I agree why sign some guy that is seriously on the downside of his career when our own free agents are better? Or what we have already as backups would be fine without destroying our cap?

chris98251

Reaction score
We have made our success getting guys that are younger and not recognised as elite players yet, we get the second teir guys in name recognition, have great talent for what we want them to do and make them stars for reasonable short contracts to prove they are guys that have been overshadowed by guys that are bigger media attention getters. I expect that to continue.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
:13: PC and JS came up with Bennett and Avril last year and that looked pretty brilliant at the time. And I think it's safe to say it worked out pretty well.

Peppers...good lord no.
Allen...serious stretch if he would even consider signing for what Hawks could afford to pay him.
The reason for even entertaining the possibility of top tier veterans for "one more season" escapes me...

If we reach for any d-line help, it will be young and less $$

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
kearly":36u832ob said:
I kinda think Seattle stands pat too. But I don't know where this popular sentiment that Seattle should avoid vets is coming from. The exact opposite is true. Seattle signed Winfield last season, pursued Woodson for weeks, kicked the tires on Abraham, kept a 36 year old Lawyer Milloy in 2010, signed an over 30 Raheem Brock twice, attempted to trade for Jared Allen a few months ago, and so on.

Ever see the movie Moneyball? There is a scene in there where Billy Beane sits down with David Justice, who was old as dirt in baseball years. He tells him "we're not paying you to be who you used to be, we just want to squeeze what little ability you still have left for one more season."

If Seattle does sign Jared Allen this offseason, it won't be out of delusions of grandeur. They won't be banking on another 22 sack season from Allen. The reason they'd sign him is because Allen is a solid bet to produce a 5-10 sack season, while making Craig Terrill type money on an over the hill type contract.

Building a great roster is all about maximizing bang for the buck, and that means identifying league wide biases and attacking them. Zigging when others zag. This is why Seattle has been so masterful in the draft, but just as big a reason for their success has been identifying misfits in FA who come dirt cheap and produce (Tony McDaniel had a terrific season last year for $800k, etc.)

There is no bias in the NFL greater than age bias. This is why Seattle has been so aggressive targeting older players. Old players on cheap short-term contracts can be some of the bigger bargains in free agency. And the more bargain contracts you score, the better your team will be.

Bumping the voice of reason in this thread. Love how if it's not popular opinion no one will listen to any logical comments even if it's from one of the more intelligent members on this board. Actually what bugs me the most is when you're presented facts about guys we've signed and then there's another 50 posts saying how we don't do that lol.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
The market is going to be glutted with DEs as far as I can tell, so if we get guys over thirty that can still play and will make 2M a year or less, I don't see the problem. In a rotation, some of these guys can be managed and we can get some good play out of them.