Just watched the game AGAIN and found the Oline

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
nrayorr":1mf9guvc said:
I believe the o-line is much better than they were last year. So much so that I believe that RW didn't have to scramble as much as he did. Did you see how much time he could have had if he would had stayed in the pocket? Wow!
He flushed early cuz he couldn't see.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
MLOhawks":3nwr3u9x said:
I will reserve judgement until they go up against a good D-Line.

Good D Lines are called good because they are better then most O lines, we are looking for a competent O line at this point, which is miles ahead of where it was at this point last season. I would say we are that internally anyway with a grade of at least average with our rotation of Tackles at the moment, solidify our 5 and we should be average at least or maybe better then average by the end of the year. For Russell Wilson that would be like having 5 first round picks playing in front of him after all the atrocious line play he has had to survive through up until now.

Tical21

Reaction score
4 of the 5 positions look to be improved. The problem is that our worst player is at by far the most important position. A few bad moments from a LT can outweigh a lot of good moments from the other 4.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tical21":3cznoxx1 said:
4 of the 5 positions look to be improved. The problem is that our worst player is at by far the most important position. A few bad moments from a LT can outweigh a lot of good moments from the other 4.

Better then a broken Okung who has 3 to 4 false starts a game. The momentum killer that happened due to that cost us dearly. That doesn't include the holds for 15 yards.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tical21":b2oraqug said:
True, but less important than if you are thinking from a Holmgrenesche perspective. [emoji6]

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tical21":2oos00c8 said:
Wilson doesn't need protection from the outside and neither do our current stable of running backs. This team isn't about run left and Matt Hasselbeck. It's about run off the Guards and Wilson. Right up the middle and stop us if you dare.

Rawls got it and it seems Michael gets it also.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Sowell is a big improvement at LT from Alvin Bailey, who was playing the position whenever Okung was hurt.

5/5 starters have improved because health matters.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawknation2016":3ibhqoc7 said:
Sowell is a big improvement at LT from Alvin Bailey, who was playing the position whenever Okung was hurt.

5/5 starters have improvbecause health matters.
Which was usually every other game......

dogorama

Reaction score
You know going into this year that you aren't going to have a really good pass protecting O-line no matter what you do. You couldn't afford to keep some guys, others didn't work out, etc. You can't afford to go out and buy them, there aren't enough in the draft and besides they would just be rookies anyway; and you have other needs to be addressed. So, what to do?

This thread has got me thinking (scary). People have mentioned having two backs rushing for 1000 yds and while that may be pretty optimistic maybe this is the ideal time for that to happen. In the draft teams passed over J Reed who rated as high as a 13th pick overall. The reasoning behind that was, even though he was considered the best run stuffer in the NCAA, he isn't considered a pass rusher. Kearly mentioned that our D-line looked thin and smallish next to the Cowboys O-line. Even one of our own, F Clark, thinned down in an effort to be a speedier pass rusher.

You see the trend all over the NFL, lighter, speedier, defensive linemen. It's only common sense that's happening w/the modern emphasis on the passing game, but I can't help but wonder if this O-line is part of a bigger master plan. You have arguably the best run blocking guru in the NFL in Tom Cable, you have multiple huge 6'6" 320 lb. linemen, and you draft a squadron of running backs. The plan becomes to turn them into an efficient zone blocking squad through their overwhelming size disparity. By doing this along w/a rotation of fresh running backs you eliminate the need for superior pass blocking because the defense is constantly playing on its heels not knowing if you are going to run or not.

Of course you can say that this a simple balanced offense, but I think it more than that given the current emphasis on passing. You are simply identifying a weakness in the scheme and taking advantage of it. Add in a big play QB and receivers and you have an EXTREMELY difficult offense to defend against. Of course this is all predicated on Bevell being able to mix it up and not be so g-damned predictable!

If it turns out this way, and it is part of a predetermined plan, it's downright brilliant. :D

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I'm in! Let's be Washington and John Riggins and ram it down their throats 24/7. Russell Wilson the greatest game manager ever!!! Be a better Troy Aikman then Troy Aikman!!!!! It worked for Jimmy Johnson so why not?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
dogorama":113zoxfu said:
You know going into this year that you aren't going to have a really good pass protecting O-line no matter what you do. You couldn't afford to keep some guys, others didn't work out, etc. You can't afford to go out and buy them, there aren't enough in the draft and besides they would just be rookies anyway; and you have other needs to be addressed. So, what to do?

This thread has got me thinking (scary). People have mentioned having two backs rushing for 1000 yds and while that may be pretty optimistic maybe this is the ideal time for that to happen. In the draft teams passed over J Reed who rated as high as a 13th pick overall. The reasoning behind that was, even though he was considered the best run stuffer in the NCAA, he isn't considered a pass rusher. Kearly mentioned that our D-line looked thin and smallish next to the Cowboys O-line. Even one of our own, F Clark, thinned down in an effort to be a speedier pass rusher.

You see the trend all over the NFL, lighter, speedier, defensive linemen. It's only common sense that's happening w/the modern emphasis on the passing game, but I can't help but wonder if this O-line is part of a bigger master plan. You have arguably the best run blocking guru in the NFL in Tom Cable, you have multiple huge 6'6" 320 lb. linemen, and you draft a squadron of running backs. The plan becomes to turn them into an efficient zone blocking squad through their overwhelming size disparity. By doing this along w/a rotation of fresh running backs you eliminate the need for superior pass blocking because the defense is constantly playing on its heels not knowing if you are going to run or not.

Of course you can say that this a simple balanced offense, but I think it more than that given the current emphasis on passing. You are simply identifying a weakness in the scheme and taking advantage of it. Add in a big play QB and receivers and you have an EXTREMELY difficult offense to defend against. Of course this is all predicated on Bevell being able to mix it up and not be so g-damned predictable!

If it turns out this way, and it is part of a predetermined plan, it's downright brilliant. :D

This is really a good point and falls inline with Pete staying one step ahead of the NFL.

dogorama

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1p3ayy6a said:
I'm in! Let's be Washington and John Riggins and ram it down their throats 24/7. Russell Wilson the greatest game manager ever!!! Be a better Troy Aikman then Troy Aikman!!!!! It worked for Jimmy Johnson so why not?

I realize it sounds like I am stating the obvious, but the reasoning behind that is I have been so concerned w/their pass blocking when in fact it's probably going to be their run blocking that will determine their pass blocking. Let's face it, if you can't run they are going to tee off on you and this line is not built for that. Ideally, I would like to see a 50/50 split.

Jville

Reaction score
hawknation2016":30v3aig6 said:

5/5 starters have improved because health matters.

After burning bridges with Seattle, Bailey signed with Cleveland ... allegedly as their starting right tackle. A week or so ago, he was listed as the #3 right tackle. Today I see he is listed as the #2 right guard. To my knowledge, he hasn't, as of yet, been listed for the left side.

Seafan

Reaction score
I like this thread.

The Hawks interior blocking both PASS and run is improved. They may never be a great edge blocking team but their run blocking from the interior and Webb looks to be very good. The Hawks compensated last year for their poor pass blocking by going heavy on the quick pass. Paying high dollar for great edge pass blockers wasn't necessary. They also can help these tackles with chip blocking TEs.

I feel they are way ahead of where they started the season last year. These guys are young and it should get better.
They will get tested early which is not a bad thing.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
dogorama":16mgzj2c said:

Great post, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.

However, it will also require the play-calling to take advantage of it. Are you confident in DB at this point calling enough inside runs and countering with RW purposely keeping on a few Read-options, play-action shots down field, especially those that keep the LBers busy, and less screens?

I'm hopeful, yet worried just the same.

kearly

Reaction score
Britt has always been a force in the run game, but atrocious in protection. He's definitely improved his ability to anchor and it should be mentioned that quality guard play will help a center significantly. That said he's had a pretty easy test this preseason against mostly vanilla defense and only seeing a handful of stunts. He has done a good job handling the interior blitz.

If he still looks this good after week 2 in LA, then you know he's truly arrived.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
To be fair, our standards are sooo low when it comes to our line...

The key to the entire season is how we can avoid falling behind or finding points in the first quarter. That creates balance for play calling and allows a comfort level of run or pass.

The ability of Rawls, Michael and added value of short safe passes to Prosise, will control the ball and take pressure off the OL.

What' s also in place for next year is the ability to stash George Fant, he will be the left tackle competition. If Pittsburgh can sign a former Army TE in Villanueva, line him up with no experience at LT and have him protect the blind side, so can Fant, who is a better athlete than Villanueva is.

stack600

Reaction score
hawknation2016":2ibhiz4g said:
This is roughly how I would grade the OL play.

LT Bradley Sowell: B
LG Mark Glowinski: B+
C Justin Britt: A
RG Germaine Ifedi: B+
RT Garry Gilliam: B

C Joey Hunt: B+
C Patrick Lewis: B
LG/LT Rees Odhiambo: B-
T J'Marcus Webb: B-
G Jahri Evans: C+
G Will Pericak: C+
RT Terry Poole: C+
LT George Fant: C+
G Kristjan Sokoli: C
I dig the grading curve . Lol wish you had been my teach. :0190l:
overall I agree, what worries me is our rookie long snapper on ST. Ryan is doing a hell of a job on getting most of the snaps and still booming 60+ yarders, but it will cost us if they don't get 7t down...no im not lobbying for Clint Gresham back, but id take his consistency

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I remain cautious about this because they haven't been tested. KC didn't play their top edge rushers, DAL has a "meh" DL, and we sure made Everson Griffen look pretty elite even though Okung never had an issue blocking him.

The OL had some okay games last preseason too, which built up a false sense of confidence in Nowak at C and Britt at G. The one game the unit was tested -- against DEN -- was a dumpster fire.

Right now, it looks like Sowell has the job at LT and Gilliam is battling Webb to keep his job as RT. Not exactly what we envisioned for our "LT of the future." At best, you hope there are some surprises like Carolina's line last year. On paper, however, still some question marks, especially at the tackle spots.