This draft reveals the dysfunction between the Hawks and RW

Rainger

Reaction score
Well I think this draft is showing to me that RW's style and play was sandlot and the team and RW were never on the same page after the first few years together.

Before you attack me I think RW was the best QB we ever had, but I think in the later years RW was going to do what and how he wanted to play regardless of the way the team wanted to go. Then when there was a problem or he rolled out into a sack after holding the ball to long and not dumping to the underneath guy, it was always the team would not invest in a line for him.

Could it be the team did not invest in the line the way RW wanted, because they knew that RW would do the same style of play that was not disciplined to work with the blocking schemes? I think RW was one of the greatest improvisors the game has ever seen, but maybe not (after the first few years) the point guard that the team wanted to methodically drive the ball.

This is not a dump on RW thread, I think we are seeing that for the last 4 or 5 years the team and RW were not on the same page. Probably the trade was best for both sides.

Looks to me like the team is going back to how they built in 2010 to 2012 and this is not a rebuild but a relaunch. Give Lock a year with a new O and new D and new coaching then get their next RW next year, but I have a feeling they will go with a more traditional QB next year rather than the scrambling improvisor again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rat

Reaction score
I'm fine moving on from Russ, but we invested in the OL plenty when he was here. A 2 and a 3 for Duane, 1st on Ifedi, 2nd on Pocic, 2nd on Britt, traded for Gabe, signed several FA OLs to decent contracts... the execution might have been poor, but it's not like we were ignoring the guys protecting Russ.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I'm fine moving on from Russ, but we invested in the OL plenty when he was here. A 2 and a 3 for Duane, 1st on Ifedi, 2nd on Pocic, 2nd on Britt, traded for Gabe, signed several FA OLs to decent contracts... the execution might have been poor, but it's not like we were ignoring the guys protecting Russ.
Yes, we very much did invest in Russ as our QB. In addition to this, we continually went after expensive vets at WR and TE for him to throw to. Additionally, as great as Tyler Lockett is (and he is GREAT), the real reason Seattle invested so much money into him was because he was Russ's security blanket for how he liked to play.

We invested in Russ. That's not to say we didn't have the very the OP points out (dysfunction in terms of philosophy), but we didn't skimp our resources trying not to make Russ successful.

toffee

Reaction score
For better or worst, our OL did provide average or some might argue above average pocket time to our QBs. Our OL looked bad, rating sucked partially because the high QB pressure ratio and sacks. Although sacks and pressure could due to the OL, or the QB, or both. But pocket time is pocket time, our QB did enjoy 2.4 seconds, more Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben etc., ie top QBs enjoyed last season.

Well, we shall see how Russ dominate operating with a different OL.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
For better or worst, our OL did provide average or some might argue above average pocket time to our QBs. Our OL looked bad, rating sucked partially because the high QB pressure ratio and sacks. Although sacks and pressure could due to the OL, or the QB, or both. But pocket time is pocket time, our QB did enjoy 2.4 seconds, more Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben etc., ie top QBs enjoyed last season.

Well, we shall see how Russ dominate operating with a different OL.
RW never saw a pocket he did not want to roll away backwards from. Then pull off the magical play. Problem is that teams figured him out and defensed him differently and pocket time was never going to be enough because of his style of play.

Will be very interesting to see if Donkys give him any more time or he is willing to change his game to more possession ball. I was devastated when we traded him but the more I think about it, it was the best thing the Hawks could do to re tool and rebuild the 2012-2014 teams.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not tremendously impressed with the draft but not devastated. Certainly didn't see any moves to get us out of the cellar but if we are doing a rebuild, it looks like we are putting some hopefully long term pieces in.

Nothing that will vault us into any sort of contention but not an abject waste of draft picks either.

Wilson is gone. He is likely going to do better at his next stop than the past 5 years here, but not year 1 because Denver really doesn't have great WRs. Pretty average group likely. But as good WRs go there, the #s will go up because the HC is offensively focused.

He will likely do better. We will likely do worse but we knew that was coming. At least the future isn't terrible yet.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Not tremendously impressed with the draft but not devastated. Certainly didn't see any moves to get us out of the cellar but if we are doing a rebuild, it looks like we are putting some hopefully long term pieces in.

Nothing that will vault us into any sort of contention but not an abject waste of draft picks either.

Wilson is gone. He is likely going to do better at his next stop than the past 5 years here, but not year 1 because Denver really doesn't have great WRs. Pretty average group likely. But as good WRs go there, the #s will go up because the HC is offensively focused.

He will likely do better. We will likely do worse but we knew that was coming. At least the future isn't terrible yet.
Blitzer is that you??? this is a very Eeyore like response that matches Blitzer.

Last edited:

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Blizter is that you??? this is a very Eeyore like response that matches Blizter.
This is Twisted's MO as well.

Apparently getting book-end starting OT's, a probable starting DE and the 2nd best RB in the draft isnt very impactful

What were you looking for Twisted, a kicker? Some special teams help?

Smellyman

Reaction score
RW never saw a pocket he did not want to roll away backwards from. Then pull off the magical play. Problem is that teams figured him out and defensed him differently and pocket time was never going to be enough because of his style of play.

Will be very interesting to see if Donkys give him any more time or he is willing to change his game to more possession ball. I was devastated when we traded him but the more I think about it, it was the best thing the Hawks could do to re tool and rebuild the 2012-2014 teams.
The problem is with his potato like quickness now his magical plays turn into drive ending sacks.

'and that's another Seahawks.....3 and out'

GemCity

Reaction score
I’m happy with the draft..for the first time in a long time. I wanted them to build from the lines out and we got a heckuva RB. I’d like to see a CB next.

Next year, grab a QB.

And…Russ is going to light it up. No hard feelings but, even in what many consider to be the best division, he’s going to shine. Spilt milk…

Last edited:

Fade

Reaction score
It reveals they haven't made a significant pick on the offensive line since 2016, Ifedi. And their last LT is no longer under contract and is 36 years old.

It also reveals they are looking to rebuild the team upfront, which was desperately needed, then go get the QB. Throwing a rookie behind a would-be dumpster fire is not a recipe for success.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
As stated, it isn't a negative at all. We are filling holes all over the place.

It just won't matter this coming year. And you win in this league with stars, and I don't see any yet.

It is frankly difficult to judge drafts until you see them in the preseason games anyway.

Nothing to complain about yet but not much to get excited about yet either.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
As stated, it isn't a negative at all. We are filling holes all over the place.

It just won't matter this coming year. And you win in this league with stars, and I don't see any yet.

It is frankly difficult to judge drafts until you see them in the preseason games anyway.

Nothing to complain about yet but not much to get excited about yet either.
You are correct in the not getting stars part( with the possible exception of Walker). This draft wasn't exactly filled with them either. They have put in place the building blocks to be good down the road though. I think that was the right approach in this draft. I was glad to see it.

keasley45

Reaction score
Well I think this draft is showing to me that RW's style and play was sandlot and the team and RW were never on the same page after the first few years together.

Before you attack me I think RW was the best QB we ever had, but I think in the later years RW was going to do what and how he wanted to play regardless of the way the team wanted to go. Then when there was a problem or he rolled out into a sack after holding the ball to long and not dumping to the underneath guy, it was always the team would not invest in a line for him.

Could it be the team did not invest in the line the way RW wanted, because they knew that RW would do the same style of play that was not disciplined to work with the blocking schemes? I think RW was one of the greatest improvisors the game has ever seen, but maybe not (after the first few years) the point guard that the team wanted to methodically drive the ball.

This is not a dump on RW thread, I think we are seeing that for the last 4 or 5 years the team and RW were not on the same page. Probably the trade was best for both sides.

Looks to me like the team is going back to how they built in 2010 to 2012 and this is not a rebuild but a relaunch. Give Lock a year with a new O and new D and new coaching then get their next RW next year, but I have a feeling they will go with a more traditional QB next year rather than the scrambling improvisor again.
Yup.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
To be frank, not even sure it matters if we get a star RB unless we get a star defensive player or star QB. Star RBs win for you in the regular season. They won't make up for not having a good enough QB.

2 of the best RBs in the league play for the Titans and the Saints, and it does not matter as soon as the Saints lost their QB. Not sure it ever mattered about the Titans. The Browns were the best rushing team in the league, but only started to matter once they got a QB (maybe). The only team I have seen that can buck that rule is the 49ers, but they have a brilliant run game that is one of the most imaginative and innovative out there - relying not just on RBs but the WRs too.

Getting a good RB isn't a negative. It just doesn't matter that much if the RB is good or great if you don't have or won't get a great QB to pair him with.

Getting good OL is imperative, because without it your QB is screwed. So glad Carroll is fixing that stupidity. But we don't have a QB so it doesn't matter. Hopefully next year we get one. And if the goal is to get a QB NEXT year, then we DON'T want to be good this coming year...because we need a good enough slot to pick that one of 3 or one of the 2 in the 5 that everything thinks might be good.

But we had some gaping holes. We are filling some. Some of the stupidity of past years, we apparently learned from. (hopefully) that isn't a bad start.

Until we get a QB it probably won't matter though. The rest is just preparing for when/if we get a good QB.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
To be frank, not even sure it matters if we get a star RB unless we get a star defensive player or star QB. Star RBs win for you in the regular season. They won't make up for not having a good enough QB.

2 of the best RBs in the league play for the Titans and the Saints, and it does not matter as soon as the Saints lost their QB. Not sure it ever mattered about the Titans. The Browns were the best rushing team in the league, but only started to matter once they got a QB (maybe). The only team I have seen that can buck that rule is the 49ers, but they have a brilliant run game that is one of the most imaginative and innovative out there - relying not just on RBs but the WRs too.

Getting a good RB isn't a negative. It just doesn't matter that much if the RB is good or great if you don't have or won't get a great QB to pair him with.

Getting good OL is imperative, because without it your QB is screwed. So glad Carroll is fixing that stupidity. But we don't have a QB so it doesn't matter. Hopefully next year we get one. And if the goal is to get a QB NEXT year, then we DON'T want to be good this coming year...because we need a good enough slot to pick that one of 3 or one of the 2 in the 5 that everything thinks might be good.

But we had some gaping holes. We are filling some. Some of the stupidity of past years, we apparently learned from. (hopefully) that isn't a bad start.

Until we get a QB it probably won't matter though. The rest is just preparing for when/if we get a good QB.
Who did you want at QB? I still like Carson Strong personally.