This draft reveals the dysfunction between the Hawks and RW

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Who should we have gotten at QB? Not sure any of them. We probably still have to draft one even so.

I don't know enough to evaluate the QBs. If you look at the #s you end to get a group of exceptional QBs every 3-4 years. The NFL just had one. Certainly it COULD happen again, but it is unlikely like flipping Heads 5x in a row. Possible, but unlikely. The QBs in the other years tend to look OK but get overvalued. Remember Baker Mayfield was a #1 pick.

Was a top Qb in this draft? No idea. Back when we did models on this the best indicator was # of times the QB came from behind in the 4th quarter when playing against ranked teams. What are those #s and what was the success rate per drive for that criteria? Not perfect but I would trust that more than any.

The best fit for how Pete likes to play was probably Malik but Malik came with all those weaknesses people said Wilson had, and really was just a great deep ball and run threat. Nowhere near as effective under pressure (though nobody is)

So we didn't get a QB. I think the reward is so high you probably need to draft a QB in every draft until you get one...even if you have one, because if you get a top QB you are set for 10+ years but likely will take from 3 to as many as 7 years to succeed using that strategy.

More important I didn't see the high upside guys that turn into stars for us. Not saying it isn't possible, but this looked like a nuts and bolts draft, not an upside one. No shooting for stars or home runs here.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Howell and Malik probably best Pete QBs.

Howell is quick and athletic with the best deep ball in the draft and even threw it the hardest at the combine. (mph) He played against much better competition and is a sturdily built rock like RW.

Own The West

Reaction score
To be frank, not even sure it matters if we get a star RB unless we get a star defensive player or star QB. Star RBs win for you in the regular season. They won't make up for not having a good enough QB.
Right, like all those superbowls Deshaun Watson and JJ Watt won...

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
I mean, why even go third person? The Hawks had Wilson and Wagner for a decade-plus, and how many Super Bowls (aka "superbowls") did they win together?
But the point of the thread is not the number of SBs or what QBs we should get but rather, there was way more dysfunction between RW and the Hawk leadership then we knew. I believe this draft shows that.

All the statements from both sides was hiding a complete disagreement on style and function etc. I use to scream at the play calling over the last couple years but I am starting to believe that the play calls were there but RW was doing his own thing.

By trading him, they can get a QB that will buy into the Hawks system and not be a free lancer sand lot broken play hero. (PS in the beginning RW was not that and played system ball.)

sutz

Reaction score
I think y'all need to set aside your Fantasy Football rosters and stop worrying about finding "stars."

On the best teams, the stars emerge from within the team, they aren't pasted on from the outside.

:)

IndyHawk

Reaction score
WTF is a Pete QB?
He deals with what he has..People assume too much
he has won with different QB's if you look at USC ect.
Russ was good when he had wheels until he didn't
exactly as I wrote on here would happen.
It doesn't mean oh we have to draft another version
of Russ who will very likely be a less version such as
Baker is..
All we need is a good D,running game and a QB who
can get first downs off 3rd..Use what the D gives him
not doing stupid low % stuff and trying for glory plays.
If we got to run 40 times to get the pass so be it.
There will be games that call for it and some will be more
passing..Whatever moves the chains and scores.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think this draft reveals that Pete may have had some of his power taken away. 3 of our first 4 picks are on offense? That's not a Pete Carroll draft.

Nah. This is a classic 'middle finger' from Pete and John to an ungrateful and dishonest Russ, who Pete bent over to try to accommodate. No better way to show the Hawks will be fine (and could have been better) than to give your new QB - one who will stay on script - two solid, cornerstone Tackles and arguably the best RB in the draft.

This is Pete and John on full 'FU' mode.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
It reveals they haven't made a significant pick on the offensive line since 2016, Ifedi. And their last LT is no longer under contract and is 36 years old.

It also reveals they are looking to rebuild the team upfront, which was desperately needed, then go get the QB. Throwing a rookie behind a would-be dumpster fire is not a recipe for success.
Thank youj. This. ^^^.

Rebuild everything else. Bridge with Lock. Address QB next season if needed. Exactly.

I've said - unless you rebuild the line - what the hell are we inviting another QB to stand behind?!

I'm happy so far. But, I'm not a draft/FA god. And, after what I considered to be a slow start. I don't think you can go wrong building the trenches, Period.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
It reveals they haven't made a significant pick on the offensive line since 2016, Ifedi. And their last LT is no longer under contract and is 36 years old.

It also reveals they are looking to rebuild the team upfront, which was desperately needed, then go get the QB. Throwing a rookie behind a would-be dumpster fire is not a recipe for success.
You seem to be completely forgetting about 3 round pick in 2020 -LG Damien Lewis who played well as a rookie, making the all-rookie team.

Seattle has invested more draft capital on thr OL than most other teams