Just Wow

Exittium

Reaction score
Regardless the whining is just annoying. Should we keep bringing up the illegal kick krapperdick did in the NCCFG? i mean who really cares right? whats done is done.

Exittium

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2lsajcgv said:
Scottemojo":2lsajcgv said:
Illegal man down field is never called unless it is 3 or 4 yards. Unger engaged his guy about a yard and a half down field.

If Eric Davis says nothing, the crying morons say nothing. They are simply regurgitating shit they heard, not shit they saw when it happened. I guarantee you we can find illegal guys down field, and uncalled, in many Niner plays too. I watch the all-22 and see it all the time on all teams.

Exactly...

Pretty much spot on. Nothing else to really say at this point. :th2thumbs:

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p74 ... ef495a.png

If "down field" is defined the way it is for a quarterback crossing the line of scrimmage on a play, then this play is illegal. Unger's foot is forward of the line of scrimmage when he comes in contact with the defensive player. If "down field" is defined by being more than a yard, or some other measurement beyond the line of scrimmage, then this play is legal.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2xz88ecj said:
Illegal man down field is never called unless it is 3 or 4 yards. Unger engaged his guy about a yard and a half down field.

Ehh, TBF it's a penalty that's almost exclusively committed on a) broken plays and b) when a lineman just gets the play wrong or has a brain fart and run blocks on the second level during a pass play. (My guess is that with Unger it was just a case of the later).

IMO if you're run blocking on the second level and it's seen it's gonna get called.

Scottemojo":2xz88ecj said:
If Eric Davis says nothing, the crying morons say nothing. They are simply regurgitating shit they heard, not shit they saw when it happened.

IIRC a few people on the zone made mention of it when it happened. Whatever you want need to tell yourself, though. ;)

Once again though, as for the actual play, no biggie.

Laloosh

Reaction score
The game is over and the point differential speaks for itself. Russell went 10/12 or something in the first half and there are posts about how he was horrible / overrated. Doesn't change reality, just means someone's got an opinion.

Helluva play call, Bevell!

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
bigtrain21":2kwb57l9 said:
Laloosh":2kwb57l9 said:
Seemed like Unger was in the 2nd level when the ball was thrown. In watching that video floating around from the Auburn game with the SEA game just above it, looked like the Auburn center was up field as well. No call there.

It doesn't matter where he is when the ball is thrown. It only matters where he initiates contact with the guy he is blocking which is one yard down field.[/quote

Not that I care cause I don't think GB had a prayer of winning but it does matter where he is, doesn't have to make contact, if he goes to far during pass play he is considered illegally down field.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Popeyejones":10c1vjgq said:
bigtrain21":10c1vjgq said:
It doesn't matter where he is when the ball is thrown. It only matters where he initiates contact with the guy he is blocking which is one yard down field.

Huh? That's plain and simply not true.

As I already said I'm generally indifferent to this play (calls get missed all the time), but in the clip they even quote the ineligible player downfield rule in the clip and put the text of it on the screen. C'mon, man.

What I said was exactly true. Read the rule and get back to me.

From the rule book.
"Item 1: Legally Downfield. An ineligible player is not illegally downfield if, after initiating contact with an
opponent within one yard of the line of scrimmage during his initial charge:
(a) he moves more than one yard beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an
opponent; or
"

WrEmYfN

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
bigtrain21":3mcxl289 said:
Popeyejones":3mcxl289 said:
bigtrain21":3mcxl289 said:
It doesn't matter where he is when the ball is thrown. It only matters where he initiates contact with the guy he is blocking which is one yard down field.

As I already said I'm generally indifferent to this play (calls get missed all the time), but in the clip they even quote the ineligible player downfield rule in the clip and put the text of it on the screen. C'mon, man.

From the rule book.
"Item 1: Legally Downfield. An ineligible player is not illegally downfield if, after initiating contact with an
(a) he moves more than one yard beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an
opponent; or
"
Ouch!

Do you think Popeye will admit to being wrong, or will use his usual word salad in attempt to spin out of it?
I'm a betting man and I'll take the latter. :th2thumbs:

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":pnunzhd6 said:
bigtrain21":pnunzhd6 said:
Popeyejones":pnunzhd6 said:
bigtrain21":pnunzhd6 said:

From the rule book.
opponent; or
"
Ouch!

Do you think Popeye will admit to being wrong, or will use his usual word salad in attempt to spin out of it?
I'm a betting man and I'll take the latter. :th2thumbs:

He will not admit to being wrong. If it was the 49ers he would actually read the rule and look at the screenshot, but since it is the Seahawks he assumes a rule must have been broken.

Take a deep breath Popeye and read the rule and look at the screenshot. On the sideline you can see where the play started which is the 33 yard line. Unger initiates his block at the 32 yard line.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
bigtrain21":124n1ilj said:
Popeyejones":124n1ilj said:
bigtrain21":124n1ilj said:

From the rule book.
opponent; or
"

WrEmYfN

The only player Unger touches or engages at 1 yard mark is his teammate to the right he doesn't make contact with anyone from GB until the 31 yard line. Like I said wouldn't have changed outcome. The refs need to get the calls right, that's all I'm saying.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":38f1j09a said:

If Eric Davis says nothing, the crying morons say nothing. They are simply regurgitating shit they heard, not shit they saw when it happened. I guarantee you we can find illegal guys down field, and uncalled, in many Niner plays too. I watch the all-22 and see it all the time on all teams.

Was just going to say, you see OL slightly past the LOS all the time, especially on play-action passes. Davis' logic is bankrupt, if refs called illegal man downfield as strictly as they did offsides on kickoffs, then play-action would be almost impossible to run effectively. It's the same reason that 99.9% of cops won't pull you over for going 1 mph over the speed limit.

kearly

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":3lm26cmd said:
WrEmYfN

The only player Unger touches or engages at 1 yard mark is his teammate to the right he doesn't make contact with anyone from GB until the 31 yard line. Like I said wouldn't have changed outcome. The refs need to get the calls right, that's all I'm saying.

In law school, you quickly learn that what the law says is less important than the track record of how that law is enforced. It's a bit of a subjective, non-literal science. This is one of the reasons why judges exist, why the higher court system exists, etc. It's also the reason why you don't get pulled over every time you are driving slightly over the posted speed limit. In the pic above, Unger might as well be driving 25.1 MPH in a 25 MPH zone.

NFL rules are the same thing. Players are given some leeway. The rulebook may say one yard, but refs will never call illegal man downfield for a play like this. Find me an example of a guy getting flagged for going exactly one yard downfield like that. It might take you a while.

chris98251

Reaction score
I may be wrong but line of scrimmage is where the ball is placed, the window of contact is typically 2 to 3 yards either side of it for lineman, one you have to step acrossed it one way or the other to engage your opponent and to be able to block to run a play. You are free to maintain that block within those parameters for passing. A free man down field not engaged is typically what they are looking for, those guys are flagged so they don't target a player on a receiver's route and pancake him.

Laloosh

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":jtbo4eu4 said:
bigtrain21":jtbo4eu4 said:
Popeyejones":jtbo4eu4 said:
bigtrain21":jtbo4eu4 said:

From the rule book.
opponent; or
"

WrEmYfN

32 yard line runs right between Unger's legs. His front foot is at about the 32.5. I literally drew a line through the LoS (just behind the 31) and another 1 yard from it. He's really close to being 1 yard from the LoS. Do Niner fans (or former Niner players) break down Niner film with close calls like that and point them out on NFLN?

It's something that they knew would get people talking. I actually bought it because I hadn't read the rule. I assumed he was just right.

Dismas

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":m484hbhn said:
http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p748/ECLaloosh/unger_zpse4ef495a.png

If "down field" is defined the way it is for a quarterback crossing the line of scrimmage on a play, then this play is illegal. Unger's foot is forward of the line of scrimmage when he comes in contact with the defensive player. If "down field" is defined by being more than a yard, or some other measurement beyond the line of scrimmage, then this play is legal.

You're backwards . . . the QB is not across the line of scrimmage even if only his back foot has not crossed. His torso, the ball, everything but one foot can be past, but so long as he is not completely over the line, he is ok.

I do not know if the same consideration is used for an O lineman, but if it is, then Unger's back foot was not more than a yard past the LOS. Would not matter where his hands were when he engaged, only whether he was still established as within the 1 yard when he made contact.

By my eye, it looks like he was legal . . Maybe he wasn't, but in a game where pretty much everyting is filtered through the subjectiveness of the refs eyes, it is silly to get all morally outraged over something like this.

Not saying YOU are outraged, Sailor, but the whinezoners sure seem butthurt

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1onpj36i said:
bigtrain21":1onpj36i said:

7e8asaqe.jpg

bmorepunk

Reaction score
How is this even a thing? If this game had occurred on Sunday with all the other games nobody would be talking about it (save for some Packers and Seahawks fans who feel the need to argue about inane things).

bigtrain21

Reaction score
bmorepunk":34zxi1m9 said:
How is this even a thing? If this game had occurred on Sunday with all the other games nobody would be talking about it (save for some Packers and Seahawks fans who feel the need to argue about inane things).

It started on NFL AM with Eric Davis not knowing the rules and deciding to make a big deal about it. They mentioned it in the highlights and then he focused on it for a couple minutes and said it could have changed the outcome of the game. Eric Davis played for the Niners and is a huge Niner homer and his agenda was to attempt to discredit our victory.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
bigtrain21":qklxlg0n said:
Popeyejones":qklxlg0n said:
bigtrain21":qklxlg0n said:

From the rule book.
opponent; or
"

WrEmYfN

OWNED