Just Wow

Scottemojo

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":1hm7hsgp said:
bigtrain21":1hm7hsgp said:
Popeyejones":1hm7hsgp said:
bigtrain21":1hm7hsgp said:
It doesn't matter where he is when the ball is thrown. It only matters where he initiates contact with the guy he is blocking which is one yard down field.

Huh? That's plain and simply not true.

As I already said I'm generally indifferent to this play (calls get missed all the time), but in the clip they even quote the ineligible player downfield rule in the clip and put the text of it on the screen. C'mon, man.

What I said was exactly true. Read the rule and get back to me.

From the rule book.
"Item 1: Legally Downfield. An ineligible player is not illegally downfield if, after initiating contact with an
opponent within one yard of the line of scrimmage during his initial charge:
(a) he moves more than one yard beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an
opponent; or
"

WrEmYfN

The only player Unger touches or engages at 1 yard mark is his teammate to the right he doesn't make contact with anyone from GB until the 31 yard line. Like I said wouldn't have changed outcome. The refs need to get the calls right, that's all I'm saying.
I am looking at the picture you are referencing as I type this, Unger is blocking a GB dude and on the 32, a yard from the LOS! Are you blind? Or that afraid of admitting you, and Eric Davis, are wrong?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
bigtrain21":36zx83ei said:
Popeyejones":36zx83ei said:
bigtrain21":36zx83ei said:
It doesn't matter where he is when the ball is thrown. It only matters where he initiates contact with the guy he is blocking which is one yard down field.

Huh? That's plain and simply not true.

As I already said I'm generally indifferent to this play (calls get missed all the time), but in the clip they even quote the ineligible player downfield rule in the clip and put the text of it on the screen. C'mon, man.

What I said was exactly true.

Ah, okay, that's the source of our confusion. I should have been more generous in my interpretation of your quote above, which I took to mean that you were arguing that it doesn't matter where a player is when the ball is thrown and that the rule was simply about where contact is initiated (e.g. you can be downfield as long as you're not blocking).

So yeah, I think we can agree that it both matters where you are when the ball is thrown, and where you've initiated contact if contact is initiated. Apologies for the misread.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Fans, like the team itself, tend to adopt some elements of the persona of their team's head coach. In this case, it has made many 49er fans perpetually delusional and whinny about every supposed no-calls on the Seahawks.

In the NFC Championship Game, they were actually whining about things like hitting Luke Willson in the head with a shoulder and non-existent intentional grounding, even when Russell Wilson was outside pocket and threw the ball beyond the line of scrimmage.

Unger's block was very clearly initiated within one yard of the line of scrimmage, and therefore was a totally legal block under the rules. But don't try to tell that to this delusional bunch of whiners.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Is there a worse fan base in sports than 49er fans? I mean seriously. This is just pathetic :lol:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":10c0n32e said:
Is there a worse fan base in sports than 49er fans? I mean seriously. This is just pathetic :lol:
No.. absolutely not, but I actually do enjoy some of our Niner peeps on this board. I don't blame them from arguing at times and let's face it, until one of the teams drops off we are joined at the hip with these guys. Analysts and media guys can't mention one without the other, even I do it on a regular basis.

But in general, the group is the worst and the one word that I feel is behind the behavior is "entitled". It doesn't matter the opponent, when that team loses, most of the group has a difficult time accepting it.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Dismas":3ay5bpey said:
Seahawk Sailor":3ay5bpey said:
http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p748/ECLaloosh/unger_zpse4ef495a.png

If "down field" is defined the way it is for a quarterback crossing the line of scrimmage on a play, then this play is illegal. Unger's foot is forward of the line of scrimmage when he comes in contact with the defensive player. If "down field" is defined by being more than a yard, or some other measurement beyond the line of scrimmage, then this play is legal.

You're backwards . . . the QB is not across the line of scrimmage even if only his back foot has not crossed. His torso, the ball, everything but one foot can be past, but so long as he is not completely over the line, he is ok.

I do not know if the same consideration is used for an O lineman, but if it is, then Unger's back foot was not more than a yard past the LOS. Would not matter where his hands were when he engaged, only whether he was still established as within the 1 yard when he made contact.

By my eye, it looks like he was legal . . Maybe he wasn't, but in a game where pretty much everyting is filtered through the subjectiveness of the refs eyes, it is silly to get all morally outraged over something like this.

Not saying YOU are outraged, Sailor, but the whinezoners sure seem butthurt

I'm not outraged at all. I think it was a clear non-call based on my understanding of the rules. I was just giving the haters the benefit of doubt with a couple of "what-if" scenarios that pushed the play into "yea, maybe ticky-tack, but it could have been called" territory.

SF49r

Reaction score
Why the hell is this even an issue? Not like it changed the outcome of the game. If they call it or not packers were still going to get stomped.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SF49r":piiuwpp7 said:
Why the hell is this even an issue? Not like it changed the outcome of the game. If they call it or not packers were still going to get stomped.
Well, you may want to try and talk some sense into Eric Davis and a majority of your fanbase, you can start with the DenialZone! 8)

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Too bad this wasn't Harbaugh driving this bus at the Officiating then I could say 49ers should watch their backs on some ticky-tack calls going against them.

The Refs had a great game, if you had to pin-point a GPA for all officiating last year they'd likely be C average, this game was officiated pretty well, maybe as good as your gonna get in the NFL. I would give them an A- for this game, and it would be an A+ if they didn't allow Clay Mathews to get away with some silly flops.

Any game would be lucky to have the quality of officiating the first game had but if people are going to start calling the REFs out for calling great games then hopefully they don't take it personally.

Its people like Harbaugh, Davis, and 49er fans is why the refs can never remain objective and get put in the position to call ticky-tack penalties and ruin games. Words of advice, SFO: read a rule book.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1xup7t3n said:
Too bad this wasn't Harbaugh driving this bus at the Officiating then I could say 49ers should watch their backs on some ticky-tack calls going against them.

The Refs had a great game, if you had to pin-point a GPA for all officiating last year they'd likely be C average, this game was officiated pretty well, maybe as good as your gonna get in the NFL. I would give them an A- for this game, and it would be an A+ if they didn't allow Clay Mathews to get away with some silly flops.

Any game would be lucky to have the quality of officiating the first game had but if people are going to start calling the REFs out for calling great games then hopefully they don't take it personally.

Its people like Harbaugh, Davis, and 49er fans is why the refs can never remain objective and get put in the position to call ticky-tack penalties and ruin games. Words of advice, SFO: read a rule book.

It's not just them, look at the competition committee, it's comprised of butt hurt owners and their family and coaches that used to be in the limelight and now are not, it's also happens to be of teams we have made look really bad or won to take the next step over.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Spent a bit of time tonight on the 49ersWebzone just looking around and reading threads. It's virtually impossible to find a thread over there that doesn't evolve into a anti-Seahawks bash fest littered with conspiracy theories. We've taken up permanent residence in those poor guys heads. First thing they probably think of in the morning is how much they hate the Hawks. If it weren't so funny, I might actually feel sorry for them.

Cheating Teams thread (Seattle gets about 80% of the hate): http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/1 ... ing-teams/

Will Seattle be Dethroned thread (now 204 pages long): http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/1 ... d/page204/

Surprise! Surprise! Go-ahead Seattle TD was Illegal thread (interesting reading:: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/1 ... e-illegal/

Interesting post from someone in above thread:

posted by mrt144":1l3fnhfk said:
I think it's more likely that most of this kind of railing on about cheating is about soothing your bruised egos. Just like all the sour grapes Seahawks fans who still talk about SB XL.

But come on, the Niners have been exceptionally good since 2011 - sure your guys have come up short a few times but a lot of the people on Webzone act like you're Cleveland or Detroit levels of abused. You guys have it pretty good but no one would know it by looking at Webzone.

And a response to above post by a moderator:

LA9erFan":1l3fnhfk said:
You see, it's like this.

This is not your home. This is not a sanctuary for you, nor are you afforded the same privileges as those who do "live" here. Just as I wouldn't expect someone to come into my house and rhetorically complain about my family, you are not afforded the luxury of coming onto our site and doing that either. If your ilk wants to come here and talk football, that's fine, but if you're here to discuss 49er fans, you're not gonna make it beyond a dozen posts. Good bye.

Touchy mods over there...

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":9vugrxez said:
Can you imagine one of our mods being such a little bitch that they would go off on Marvin or someone like that...

LOL! I'd be embarrassed.
I know I give Marvin crap but at he, and it seems a bunch of the new 49er Pack can take it gracefully and mostly talk truth about the 49ers....usually.;)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":w8licl31 said:
MizzouHawkGal":w8licl31 said:
The_Z_Man":w8licl31 said:
Can you imagine one of our mods being such a little bitch that they would go off on Marvin or someone like that...

LOL! I'd be embarrassed.
I know I give Marvin crap but at he, and it seems a bunch of the new 49er Pack can take it gracefully and mostly talk truth about the 49ers....usually.;)

It's fun to give webzone crap, but honestly... if the hawks had that much talent for 7-8 years straight and nothing to show for it, admit it, we would all be in meltdown mode too. This site would be a miserable place to be...

And we would all be talking about how Brandon Browner's pregnant girlfriend held him down, took the hit herself, and forced each toke down his throat!!!
Can't disagree. Isn't it good to be the King?

TXHawk

Reaction score
A six page thread devoted to whether or not our center was slightly past where he should have been on a passing play in a game we won by 20 and dominated in every respect? Wow. If you ever wanted evidence that the Seahawks have infected their every waking thought and are crushing their hopes and dreams that is Exhibit A.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure these are rarely called. Only when they are obvious or have some sort of impact on the play. What happened on this play could be repeated by every NFL team hundreds of times this year and likely will not get called.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
fenderbender123":132fw29i said:
I'm pretty sure these are rarely called. Only when they are obvious or have some sort of impact on the play. What happened on this play could be repeated by every NFL team hundreds of times this year and likely will not get called.

It's not called because it's legal to initiate a block against a defender up to one yard past the line of scrimmage.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
hawknation2014":30scq3ln said:
fenderbender123":30scq3ln said:

It's not called because it's legal to initiate a block against a defender up to one yard past the line of scrimmage.

And there ya go. It wasn't obvious that he wasn't more than a yard down field because he wasn't.

FriscosFinest

Reaction score
Who the hell cares. It was a badass play that wouldve ended up a td regardless. GBs defense is so soft i would bet that RW would still score on foot from that play..