Justin Britt....Elite Pass Blocker

ludakrishna

Reaction score
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... mpaign=nfl

"PFF Pass Block Efficiency: 98.9

Despite manning the middle on one of the league’s worst pass blocking units, Britt has been very efficient in pass protection allowing one hit and one sack on 146 pass block snaps."

Ranked the 3rd best pass protecting Center in the league. Still sickens me that we didnt go after Whitworth in the offseason.

HawkerD

Reaction score
He had bust written all over him. Great to see him become the force and leader he has become. :irishdrinkers:

Seymour

Reaction score
ludakrishna":13b4d4sr said:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-signature-stat-spotlight-pass-blocking-efficiency?utm_content=buffer1c95f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

"PFF Pass Block Efficiency: 98.9

Despite manning the middle on one of the league’s worst pass blocking units, Britt has been very efficient in pass protection allowing one hit and one sack on 146 pass block snaps."

Ranked the 3rd best pass protecting Center in the league. Still sickens me that we didnt go after Whitworth in the offseason.

Yep, we are about to find out what shoring up the oline will do for your offense. Rams got him and some new WR's and have gone from worst to first.

Oh well. We prob. didn't have the room in the showcase for a 2nd trophy anyway.

mikeak

Reaction score
I don't mean this as anything but an honest question. Normally does carry notions with them but this truly doesn't because I don't sit there an analyze the O-line. I see a guy fall down and I take it as he failed at his job

So here is my question for those that know more

Is Britt that good or is it possible that he is benefiting from those around him being so bad? With that I mean if you have four weak links and one stronger link you attack the four weak links constantly. You plan around the one in the middle so the game-planning, scheming, stunts etc everything goes around the guy in the middle. So he isn't pressured as much and by default looks better.

Is that going on at all or is he simply that good?

EDIT: EVEN if some of that is happening then it doesn't mean he is good just that it is hard to value his number fully

JGreen79

Reaction score
mikeak":bj2etzwa said:
I don't mean this as anything but an honest question. Normally does carry notions with them but this truly doesn't because I don't sit there an analyze the O-line. I see a guy fall down and I take it as he failed at his job

So here is my question for those that know more

Is Britt that good or is it possible that he is benefiting from those around him being so bad? With that I mean if you have four weak links and one stronger link you attack the four weak links constantly. You plan around the one in the middle so the game-planning, scheming, stunts etc everything goes around the guy in the middle. So he isn't pressured as much and by default looks better.

Is that going on at all or is he simply that good?

EDIT: EVEN if some of that is happening then it doesn't mean he is good just that it is hard to value his number fully

A part of the ZBS is falling down. However it is a valid point that teams are targeting the rest if the line and/or the other linemen's guy is getting to him first.

Seymour

Reaction score
JGreen79":2lkcojp0 said:
A part of the ZBS is falling down. However it is a valid point that teams are targeting the rest if the line and/or the other linemen's guy is getting to him first.

Yep. in Cable's scheme, it is not unusual for everyone to do it even.

For your entertainment.......Cable and the 5 whiffs......

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShaunOHara60/status/912372456245141504[/tweet]

hawk45

Reaction score
Seymour":3rfpfyz3 said:
JGreen79":3rfpfyz3 said:

I knew this was coming as soon as I saw the part about falling down being part of ZBS :D

Back to Britt, thank goodness for him. When they waited until the season to re-up him I was hyperventilating. Now that they've proven they'll pay a decent player, all we have to do is find another one :(

toffee

Reaction score
hawk45":3lozaazp said:
Seymour":3lozaazp said:
JGreen79":3lozaazp said:

I knew this was coming as soon as I saw the part about falling down being part of ZBS :D

Back to Britt, thank goodness for him. When they waited until the season to re-up him I was hyperventilating. Now that they've proven they'll pay a decent player, all we have to do is find another one :(

Britt flipped a switch and went from somewhat rubbish guard to probowl center, so there's always hope. In fact that certified bust Joeckle is doing OK, Ifedi isn't good but still showed some improvement of late. If only we managed to sign TJ Lang during off season .... we would be been pretty above average in g-c-g.

Smellyman

Reaction score
If the Hawks didn't trade Unger, he'd still be a crappy guard.

silver linings

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":25gyw773 said:
Yep, we are about to find out what shoring up the oline will do for your offense. Rams got him and some new WR's and have gone from worst to first.
Ok, there's oversimplification, then there's... whatever the hell this is.

The Rams have finished on the bottom of the league for several years now and have gained the benefit of all of those high draft picks, not the least of which were gifted to them by the Redskins who gave up 3 1st-round picks for the pick they used to get Griffin III.

Last year they used the #1 overall pick to select their QB of the Future, and this year they changed to a more offensive-minded and less bat-crap-crazy head coach.

They didn't just pick up an offensive lineman and throw in a couple of wide receivers and magically turn everything around. In fact, they are the epitome of the normalization that occurs for all teams not based in Cleveland by which losing teams benefit from better drafts and start to become competitive and winning teams bear the toll of poor draft position year upon year and begin to decline. The only real question in the Rams' case is why has it taken this long (assuming they are actually for real and not the product of a last-place schedule)?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for this find, but it seems evaluating centers for pass-rush effectiveness would be a little trickier as most pressure generally comes from the outside. Don't you usually have the run-stopping gap busters playing over center? When we traded for Sheldon Richardson that seemed to be the buzz that he was one of those rare inside players that could be a space eater as well as provide an inside bullrush presence.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Love Britt. Glad to see him stick somewhere and doing well. This is what brings me pause from banging the table to sit guys like Odhiambo and Ifedi. Sometimes guys just need reps and experience out there in live action to make it finally click for them and just yanking them and throwing someone else out there is just starting that clock all over again on a new guy. Eventually you just need to stick with guys and let them gel.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":146jy7nh said:
Love Britt. Glad to see him stick somewhere and doing well. This is what brings me pause from banging the table to sit guys like Odhiambo and Ifedi. Sometimes guys just need reps and experience out there in live action to make it finally click for them and just yanking them and throwing someone else out there is just starting that clock all over again on a new guy. Eventually you just need to stick with guys and let them gel.
Totally agree. And I really think that's Pete and John's master plan. Take some early lumps with this line and then have them gel into a dominating force for the last piece of the puzzle in a franchise seeking legendary status. Can you imagine if that were to come to fruition? Losing Fant set that dream back, I would imagine, but it's football and you have to expect injuries and be able to roll with the punches. That means depth. Take a guy like Glowinski. Is he learning from sitting and watching Aboushi perform better at RG (minus the penalties) than he was? I hope so. Same goes for guys like Roos, Battle and Pocic. Can they step in if needed for a few games to keep this progress flowing? That's what you need for success.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":k43ak6bh said:
DJrmb":k43ak6bh said:
Totally agree. And I really think that's Pete and John's master plan. Take some early lumps with this line and then have them gel into a dominating force for the last piece of the puzzle in a franchise seeking legendary status. Can you imagine if that were to come to fruition? Losing Fant set that dream back, I would imagine, but it's football and you have to expect injuries and be able to roll with the punches. That means depth. Take a guy like Glowinski. Is he learning from sitting and watching Aboushi perform better at RG (minus the penalties) than he was? I hope so. Same goes for guys like Roos, Battle and Pocic. Can they step in if needed for a few games to keep this progress flowing? That's what you need for success.

Congrats. You just made my sig line. :2thumbs:

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
You don't think he was counted on to become a long-term force at LT?

Latest posts