Justin Britt

kf3339

Reaction score
CPHawk":1lry5etr said:
Lords of Scythia":1lry5etr said:
Britt played in the SEC--who everyone in this forum knows is barely a step down from the pros. He played against Clowney. Cable loves him. Britt might not've been drafted if it wasn't for Cable. I bet he's our RT by the beginning of the season.

Barely a step down? :177692:

And this kids, is why you don't drink and post.

:lol:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It's just way too early for me to form an opinion.

I will say that I pretty much don't respect the shill machine that is the seahawks.com writers. It's just ugly how the integrity of the writing is so patently tossed in the trash.

From independent sources -- Britt struggled. And I'm inclined to believe that. I'd add that it wouldn't be unexpected either. Britt isn't a prospect who I expected to come into camp and wow people. Not in the same way that Wagner or Wilson did in 2012. That doesn't mean he can't stick. But he sounds pretty much like what I expected out of the box. Confused, raw and overwhelmed.

I don't expect him to really push Bowie for starting time. I expect him to make the active squad, but as an 8th/9th man on the OL depth chart. That would be a success in my estimation. Seattle needs guys to replace B&B on the depth chart. Of course if he does blossom in TC, I'd be tickled with that. But I wouldn't expect to see evidence of that this early.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
MorrisonBlockedToOblivion.gif

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":896ezrrv said:
Sgt. Largent":896ezrrv said:
Pandion Haliaetus":896ezrrv said:
Nothing wrong with being optimistic and trusting the franchise that just won the Superbowl with the 2nd youngest team ever to make the best decisions for the team.

How did you make the leap from we don't put a lot of stock in rookie camp to "not trusting the franchise?"

Because rookie camp or not, the people who hated this pick will hate it.

If Britt does well in TC, its going to be "don't get ahead of yourself but let's wait until PS"

Then if Britt does well in PS, its going to be "don't get ahead of yourself but let's wait until the actual Season"

But then if Britt wins the starting job, and does reasonably well during the season, but makes mistakes that generally all rookie Linemen will make it will be "see I told you so...he's horrible...the worst...not good enough...I told you. See, see, I told you. I TOLD YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Until Kearly or some other Deity of Football Analysis tells them otherwise after quality film review, then it will be "Oh, well... he's still not great enough for a 2nd round pick".

What's funny about this whole thing is he was the LAST pick in the 2nd round. So he's basically a 3rd rounder. We find out that the Redskins were going to take him just 3 picks later. There was a huge run on OLmen in the 3rd round 11 players taken in 36 picks (roughly 1/3 of the round), I'm glad they took him when they did to get the player they wanted.

There will always be those type of people that you mention above, that make up their mind on an issue and never consider the alternative. These are probably the same people saying that we'd regret letting CHRIS SPENCER (after he had 1 decent year in the 4+ years he was with us) go and that Unger was no good, because he played poorly at guard as a rookie.
That Unger was somehow weak based solely off that limited sample size. Refusing to grasp the reality that players DO improve, they get stronger and more technically sound.

I'm excited for this group of offensive linemen, I think we'll see marked improvement at every position, the competition is going to be fierce all across the board.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Dude hasn't wore pads yet. Hasn't been hit it the mouth yet.

Rookies in shorts. Get back to me about him when the bullets start to fly.

McGruff

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1seccm65 said:

I will say that I pretty much don't respect the shill machine that is the seahawks.com writers. It's just ugly how the integrity of the writing is so patently tossed in the trash.

From independent sources -- Britt struggled. And I'm inclined to believe that. I'd add that it wouldn't be unexpected either. Britt isn't a prospect who I expected to come into camp and wow people. Not in the same way that Wagner or Wilson did in 2012. That doesn't mean he can't stick. But he sounds pretty much like what I expected out of the box. Confused, raw and overwhelmed.

I don't expect him to really push Bowie for starting time. I expect him to make the active squad, but as an 8th/9th man on the OL depth chart. That would be a success in my estimation. Seattle needs guys to replace B&B on the depth chart. Of course if he does blossom in TC, I'd be tickled with that. But I wouldn't expect to see evidence of that this early.

I'd be curious to read your independent sources. Everything I have read says he looked solid. And not just Farnsworth.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
McGruff":3507kzaw said:
Attyla the Hawk":3507kzaw said:

I'd be curious to read your independent sources. Everything I have read says he looked solid. And not just Farnsworth.

Interesting that you say you can't form an opinion-- yet you then go on to "form an opinion." Which is it. Lineman on either side can't be judged by rookie minicamps. To read too much into anything is a mistake. You say he was "Confused, raw and overwhelmed." I HIGHLY doubt that as he was going up against a bunch of tryout players. 2ndly one of the positives coming out admitted by all the draft people is the guy is a technician, that doesn't indicate a raw prospect IMO.

Let's see what happens in August before we "form an opinion" shall we. I'm just happy to see us with options at tackle that we really haven't had the last couple of years.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk said:
From independent sources -- Britt struggled. And I'm inclined to believe that. /quote]

Link to your independent sources?

Skansi82

Reaction score
Hugh Millen said that he looked a little out of place and got beat multiple times in the Rookie Camp. That, of course is coming from Hugh Millen, so take it for what it's worth. He's also switching from LT to RT, which will take some adjusting.

I don't read much into the success that anyone has in Rookie Camp, but it's still fun to hear updates. Is it September yet??? :49ersmall:

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I think Michael Bowie has a chance to be a real good RT, so if Britt develops into a reliable backup over the next couple years then he has done his job. I expect (and hope) we won't have to rely on Britt as a starter at RT until maybe his third year. He seems like a solid option to takeover Bailey's role in the jumbo packages if Bailey eventually moves to left guard.

Millen said Britt looked really athletic, was light on his feet, had good knee bend and technique. However, he also said Britt was beaten more times than you would think, gave up too much ground in pass protection, and lacked confidence on the right side of the line.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Who hasn't been signed? Kevin Norwood? Kevin Pierre-Louis? Garrett Scott (not medically cleared)?

Largent80

Reaction score
How is Scott not medically cleared after almost 2 weeks after the draft. And why did we pick him if he had so many issues that he is not cleared?

BigMeach

Reaction score
My god ppl, we're Hawks fans, the best in the business... Let's act like it. What's the point in talking smack about eachother over a rookie during rookie minicamp. Obviously everyone wants all our draft picks and even UDFA's to be big hits but whether we predict them to be/not to be shouldn't matter. Obviously none of us know what will come. There's not a lot else to do during this time of year than make predictions.

olyfan63

Reaction score
hawknation2014":15i9uipy said:
I
Millen said Britt looked really athletic, was light on his feet, had good knee bend and technique. However, he also said Britt was beaten more times than you would think, gave up too much ground in pass protection, and lacked confidence on the right side of the line.

It's easy to forget that Britt played Left Tackle, IIRC, in college, on the LEFT side of the line. So rookie camp would be the first time for him to get his reps primarily on the RIGHT side. Most of his mental wiring and reads are based on being on the left side. So it's unsurprising he'd make mistakes and incorrect reads and be slower to react and get beat until he gets the reads and techniques down from the right side.

Another poster shared the timely reminder that Britt is basically a 3rd round pick, being chosen at the end of the 2nd round.

It seemed to me that Bowie was solid in run blocking, but struggled in pass pro last year, as evidenced by Russell constantly running for his life. The info I've seen on Britt suggests that his initial strength is in pass protection. We'll see who gets the reps come September.

chris98251

Reaction score
First rounder, UDFA it doesn't matter, OTA's and non contact drills are just footwork and techique drills, the tricks of the trade are not shown and savvy of the players as well as true strength and quickness.

Put on the pads and unleash the defense and vice versa. How many people are first round busts when it comes time to put up and shut up, how many guys like UDFA Doug Baldwin come out and blow things up, we see it every year.

Pre season is the same thing, Josh Portis anyone?

So reserving opinions until they are not playing against paper Tigers is a pretty standard way to look at things, Camp reports when they are playing against our 1's has been a good gauge as well, guys getting eaten alive there are pretty good candidates to be cut or Practice Squad material.