Kaep Agent's take: 49ers face challenges in any new deal

Marvin49

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2vne2tdh said:
Personally I think the cap should rise as it is and QB compensation should level off about where its at, even though I think its high.

When I first heard 18 I thought it was way too high (and it kinda is), but in 2 or 3 years thats going to seem like a steal (assuming he progresses).

Thats not because I think he'll be the best in the NFL. Thats because the cap is going up and QB's are going to command more and more $$$$. Kap gets 18? Cam and Wilson will want more. Just the way it works. What about Luck when HIS deal expires.

Yikes.

The #'s are insane, but thats what QBs make these days.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Marvin49":1i3fycru said:
CALIHAWK1":1i3fycru said:
Personally I think the cap should rise as it is and QB compensation should level off about where its at, even though I think its high.

When I first heard 18 I thought it was way too high (and it kinda is), but in 2 or 3 years thats going to seem like a steal (assuming he progresses).

Thats not because I think he'll be the best in the NFL. Thats because the cap is going up and QB's are going to command more and more $$$$. Kap gets 18? Cam and Wilson will want more. Just the way it works. What about Luck when HIS deal expires.

Yikes.

I completely agree and the current QB contract schedule IMO is ruining football for most teams. Look at Baltimore as an example. There is a reason Foles, Kap, Wilson made the playoffs. There are seberal but they are able to put talent around them. There are other factors of course but when you have a 53 man roster and one guy is soaking up close to 20% of the team cap your stuck.

As far as Kap goes and his contract as a fan of a team I look at 18 a year and say yikes! No way. As Kap and his agent I look at Cutler who is 1-9 against division rival GB making $18 and I say to myself, "Ive shredded them fools. Pay me."

Marvin49

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2qbf7y98 said:
Marvin49":2qbf7y98 said:
CALIHAWK1":2qbf7y98 said:

Yikes.

I completely agree and the current QB contract schedule IMO is ruining football for most teams. Look at Baltimore as an example. There is a reason Foles, Kap, Wilson made the playoffs. There are seberal but they are able to put talent around them. There are other factors of course but when you have a 53 man roster and one guy is soaking up close to 20% of the team cap your stuck.

As far as Kap goes and his contract as a fan of a team I look at 18 a year and say yikes! No way. As Kap and his agent I look at Cutler who is 1-9 against division rival GB making $18 and I say to myself, "Ive shredded them fools. Pay me."

The good news is that the $$$$ are offset a bit by a cap that is going to start increasing rather dramatically in the next few years compared to what has largely been a static cap the last three.

Still hurts, but for teams like the 49ers and Seahawks who will have to pay Kap and Wilson as well as players like Sherman and Aldon Smith, they couldn't have chosen a better time for the cap to start increasing.

It also means that locking them in early would be smart to prevent the QB market from moving up on them before the cap starts that dramatic rise.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3aryn8i3 said:
Sgt. Largent":3aryn8i3 said:
E.C. Laloosh":3aryn8i3 said:
CALIHAWK1":3aryn8i3 said:
I didnt want to start a new thread so maybe ad it develops mods can change title but, Kaps talks have started and they are starting at $18 million a year. That according to Greg Rosenthal.

Pay the guy! Make it $20M though.

You joke, but if Kaep get's 20M, then Russell's gonna want even more.

As much as I want Kaep to break the bank to put a hurting on SF's cap situation, I REALLY want them to keep his salary more around the 15-16M level so we can keep Russell's contract in the same range.

So you believe that if Kap only gets 15-16 then Russell and his agent will be cool making the same even though guys like Cutler are making 18 and Romo, Flaco are making 20? That makes no sense for Russell or Kap.

Not necessarily the same, but close. Both players are in a similar situation (not 1st round draft picks coming off their rookie contracts), so it's not unrealistic to want Kaep to set the market lower so Russell's agent doesn't have as much ammunition next year. That's all I'm saying.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3grtfgq4 said:
CALIHAWK1":3grtfgq4 said:
Sgt. Largent":3grtfgq4 said:
E.C. Laloosh":3grtfgq4 said:

As much as I want Kaep to break the bank to put a hurting on SF's cap situation, I REALLY want them to keep his salary more around the 15-16M level so we can keep Russell's contract in the same range.

So you believe that if Kap only gets 15-16 then Russell and his agent will be cool making the same even though guys like Cutler are making 18 and Romo, Flaco are making 20? That makes no sense for Russell or Kap.

Not necessarily the same, but close. Both players are in a similar situation (not 1st round draft picks coming off their rookie contracts), so it's not unrealistic to want Kaep to set the market lower so Russell's agent doesn't have as much ammunition next year. That's all I'm saying.

The only problem is that Wilson will have at least 1 SB win under his Belt. I gotta think he'll want at least 20. That Market was set by Flacco.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2xf4tvgp said:
CALIHAWK1":2xf4tvgp said:
Sgt. Largent":2xf4tvgp said:
E.C. Laloosh":2xf4tvgp said:
CALIHAWK1 said:
I didnt want to start a new thread so maybe ad it develops mods can change title but, Kaps talks have started and they are starting at $18 million a year. That according to Greg Rosenthal.

Where they were drafted sets their first contract. Their performance after that sets their next contract. Romo was undrafted, has 1 playoff win under his belt and makes $20. Cutler makes $18 and I think has two playoff wins and one of them was against our 7-9 2010 team so, I guess it counts. Kaps been to a SB and an NFCCG. Russ has won a SB. Look I dont like it anymore than.the next guy but even if Kap signs for 12 million(which i would gire my agent for agreeing to) your nuts if you think Russells agent is going to look at that and say okay, we'll do something similar.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Marvin49":3gzz0qhp said:
Sgt. Largent":3gzz0qhp said:
CALIHAWK1":3gzz0qhp said:
Sgt. Largent":3gzz0qhp said:
E.C. Laloosh said:

The only problem is that Wilson will have at least 1 SB win under his Belt. I gotta think he'll want at least 20. That Market was set by Flacco.

Completely agree. Romo with no Bowl is in the same boat. I think Stafford and Ryan are close as well. I blame those dumbass teams for the situation theyve put other teams in.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
By his own admission, Jerry Jones has overpaid certain players and Romo is one of them.

The story on Cutler is different. You only have to know a little bit about the Bears history to understand that they were going to overpay Cutler. The Bears last franchise QB was Sid Luckman and that was 70 years ago. Cutler had the Bears FO over a barrel and his agent knew it.

Don't get me wrong... Cutler is a loser in my mind... nothing but a big crybaby... but Bears fans are rabid and they would have screamed broody murder had the Bears FO let Cutler go to FA.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
If the 40-whiners FO is smart, they'll let this season play out and gamble that Krapperdick will not play up to the $18M/year that he thinks that he is worth.

If the Krapper is smart, he'll sign a 2-year stop-gap contract extension for $14-15M/year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
While very humorous, Wilson is going to be asking for the same thing.. if not more.. in a year.

Going to be awesome to see all the rose-colored glasses wearing fans thinking Russ is going to take a significant pay cut though.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Would literally soil myself if Kaep were traded to the Dolphins over this! :177692:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3jyq04e4 said:
By his own admission, Jerry Jones has overpaid certain players and Romo is one of them.

The story on Cutler is different. You only have to know a little bit about the Bears history to understand that they were going to overpay Cutler. The Bears last franchise QB was Sid Luckman and that was 70 years ago. Cutler had the Bears FO over a barrel and his agent knew it.

Don't get me wrong... Cutler is a loser in my mind... nothing but a big crybaby... but Bears fans are rabid and they would have screamed broody murder had the Bears FO let Cutler go to FA.

Cutler and Romo making more than they're worth doesn't help the cause, all it does is reinforce the truth............which is all you need to do in the NFL is be an above average QB and you have all the leverage you need to get BIG money out of your team. Because every GM knows that once you have a good QB, you have to do everything to hold onto him.

theascension

Reaction score
I don't see RW going for 20M, I think he's smarter than to reduce Seattle's talent possibilities with that. He'll take a cut but a small one (14M over a long period).

Kap has always seemed to be a bit selfish and immature in his comments, although it is funny he's now saying this after last year he was quoted as wanting to take a cut to help the team.
He's truly not worth that, he's similar to Vick in that he's an amazing raw talent but I doubt he'll ever gain the intelligence to get anywhere near elite and defenses can adjust to a Vick type player.

I wonder how much of this has to do with the seeming breakdown of the 49er office and it rubbing off on players now? With your GM, president and coach not getting along why not ask for as much as you can get if you're not going to be happy there?

Subzero717

Reaction score
theascension":vx2focgc said:
I don't see RW going for 20M, I think he's smarter than to reduce Seattle's talent possibilities with that. He'll take a cut but a small one (14M over a long period).

Would you take less than someone else doing what you do makes when you know you are better? His agent wouldnt either.

theascension

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":244hphxv said:
theascension":244hphxv said:

Would you take less than someone else doing what you do makes when you know you are better? His agent wouldnt either.
Yes because if you're serious about 'best ever' you need the super bowl trophys to show for it. Starving your team of cap space doesn't help you in that pursuit.

Marvin49

Reaction score
theascension":trsm0yy5 said:

Kap has always seemed to be a bit selfish and immature in his comments, although it is funny he's now saying this after last year he was quoted as wanting to take a cut to help the team.
He's truly not worth that, he's similar to Vick in that he's an amazing raw talent but I doubt he'll ever gain the intelligence to get anywhere near elite and defenses can adjust to a Vick type player.

I wonder how much of this has to do with the seeming breakdown of the 49er office and it rubbing off on players now? With your GM, president and coach not getting along why not ask for as much as you can get if you're not going to be happy there?

If you think Wilson will take 14 mil per you are smoking crack.

LOL.

No way whatsoever. Not a SB winning QB. He may allow the contract to scructure in a way that is beneficial to the team, but there is no way he'll tak a full 6 mil under the going rate for a SB winner. Not gonna happen. Especially for a guy in his 20s signing his second NFL contract and his first was a 3rd round rookie deal. Russell is a smart guy and will do what he can to help the team, but can you name a single 20 something year old QB who EVER gave that big a discount to his team?

At some point it ain't just about football...its about securing enough money to take care of himself and his family for the rest of their lives. His career could end tomorrow. Its not selfish...its the price of doing business.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The cap may be 140 mil by next year, and 150 the year after.

Neither Kaep nor Wilson will handicap their team as the cap goes up. So stop begrudging them all the dollars they can get.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1mia0n7j said:
The cap may be 140 mil by next year, and 150 the year after.

Neither Kaep nor Wilson will handicap their team as the cap goes up. So stop begrudging them all the dollars they can get.

Correct.

If the cap were to stay flat, this would be a deal breaker. Its not though and his agents know that. They are looking for a larger slice of a growing pie.

In a few years though, this contract will appear downright cheap. Perception changes quickly.