Kaep Agent's take: 49ers face challenges in any new deal

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
I think RW will probably get about that much (18m/yr), I also think that his contract will be for 7+ years. He'll get a fatty contract fo' sho. He's worth every penny.

Marvin49

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":35tbm3h8 said:
I think RW will probably get about that much (18m/yr), I also think that his contract will be for 7+ years. He'll get a fatty contract fo' sho. He's worth every penny.

I really don't think they'll be looking at Kaps deal when they look to extend him. They'll be looking for a more like comparison, and as much as it sucks for 49ers fans, Kap ain't it. The deal they'll be looking at is that of a SB winner. Thats Flacco. Thats Rodgers.

I think you are looking at 20 mil MINIMUM per year.

rigelian

Reaction score
I think that people underestimate the risks that exist on both sides.

First for Kaepernick. At this point he is a phenomenal physical talent. He has a strong arm. He is a great runner. He's smart, especially in the sense of avoiding the big hit. He gives defenses terrible match up problems. However, there are a couple of things that make signing him to a long term contract risk.

First, I don't know if Kaepernick will ever be able to quickly process a defense. Some people think that this is a skill that can be taught. I'm not so sure. This is not an intellectual issue, but a speed in processing issue. I get the feeling that he reads slowly and quickly runs out of time in his progressions. The second issue is more of a leadership good decision issue. He makes risky decisions.

Assuming that he doesn't progress a good deal on both of these fronts, the 49ers are going to make a huge decision before the product is fully baked.

I think Seahawk fans are a bit myopic when it comes down to whether Russell is going to ask for the moon in terms of payday. I think he will. Contracts and money are a measuring stick. RW is an extremely competitive guy. He wants to be known as one of the best. Part of the acknowledgement is your contract.

chrispy

Reaction score
Wilson should get under 20 with an option to buy into the Blazers upon his retirement from the NFL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chrispy":3ayvewu0 said:
Wilson should get under 20 with an option to buy into the Blazers upon his retirement from the NFL.

I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

I don't really like Kaep and Wilson being compared, even though they will be when it comes to contract extensions.

Kaeperstink has yet to prove that he can be even an average pocket passer that can read defenses.........and he's only going to get slower as he ages. Which means his biggest asset (his legs) is going to diminish, which will leave a mediocre QB.

Russell on the other hand has already proven he's a complete QB, what with his above 100 QBR, and breaking Worthlessberger's TD record for 2nd year QB's.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ttjvx7t said:
chrispy":2ttjvx7t said:

I don't really like Kaep and Wilson being compared, even though they will be when it comes to contract extensions.

Kaeperstink has yet to prove that he can be even an average pocket passer that can read defenses.........and he's only going to get slower as he ages. Which means his biggest asset (his legs) is going to diminish, which will leave a mediocre QB.

Russell on the other hand has already proven he's a complete QB, what with his above 100 QBR, and breaking Worthlessberger's TD record for 2nd year QB's.

Well...on the "mediocre QB" part, I think most 49er fans remember a guy who was tabbed almost the exact same way...Steve Young. I remember some people in the media saying they'd never win a championship with him. Steve really got good when as he put it "I learned that it was better when the play ended and the ball was in someone elses hands". Kap needs to learn that. he's a smart kid so I think he will.

As for comparisons to Wilson, I actually agree with you. Wilsons agents won't be looking for what Kap got. They'll be looking for what other SB wining QBs got. Right now, thats Flacco/Rogers and thats north of 20 mil per.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
Marvin49":s0g20hl9 said:
HAWKAMANIA":s0g20hl9 said:

I really don't think they'll be looking at Kaps deal when they look to extend him. They'll be looking for a more like comparison, and as much as it sucks for 49ers fans, Kap ain't it. The deal they'll be looking at is that of a SB winner. Thats Flacco. Thats Rodgers.

Never said they would look at Kap's deal (which doesn't even exist yet) to compare. I don't think Kap gets his 18 mill a year though, probably more around 15 plus incentives.

Marvin49

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":1o63btd8 said:
Marvin49":1o63btd8 said:
HAWKAMANIA":1o63btd8 said:

Never said they would look at Kap's deal (which doesn't even exist yet) to compare. I don't think Kap gets his 18 mill a year though, probably more around 15 plus incentives.

I REALLY hope you are right, but I doubt it. That's just what the market is these days for a QB. Alex Smith signed 2 years ago at 11 per...even HE might surpass 15 now.

Hawks46

Reaction score
rigelian":1epil9wr said:
I think that people underestimate the risks that exist on both sides.

First for Kaepernick. At this point he is a phenomenal physical talent. He has a strong arm. He is a great runner. He's smart, especially in the sense of avoiding the big hit. He gives defenses terrible match up problems. However, there are a couple of things that make signing him to a long term contract risk.

First, I don't know if Kaepernick will ever be able to quickly process a defense. Some people think that this is a skill that can be taught. I'm not so sure. This is not an intellectual issue, but a speed in processing issue. I get the feeling that he reads slowly and quickly runs out of time in his progressions. The second issue is more of a leadership good decision issue. He makes risky decisions.

Assuming that he doesn't progress a good deal on both of these fronts, the 49ers are going to make a huge decision before the product is fully baked.

I think Seahawk fans are a bit myopic when it comes down to whether Russell is going to ask for the moon in terms of payday. I think he will. Contracts and money are a measuring stick. RW is an extremely competitive guy. He wants to be known as one of the best. Part of the acknowledgement is your contract.

I agree with you, and on first read of that nfl.com article where Kap wanted 18 mil/year, I thought it was too much. Thing is, Kap has great accuracy in the 1-2 reads that he does make. His WRs that he has (Boldin/Crabtree) are good at grabbing contested balls and have good hands. So Kap can fling them the ball even when he's in trouble. He's also the worst in the league for accuracy under pressure at 54%. That goes into making your 3rd and 4th reads. Thing is, the kid wins. He is a true dual threat QB and that stresses most defenses. Our defense is set up well to stop him with the personnel we have, but if we start losing guys, he could end up getting us a few times easy. Also, look at all the other defenses out there, and he shreds most of them. He's a 12 win a year QB on that team, and that has a lot of value.

I'm not sure Flacco's deal will be too indicative of what guys go for. Sure, Flacco got it after winning a SB, but it's also well documented that it hamstrung them in their cap space and adversely affected the team this year. Also, on a lesser talanted team, Flacco wasn't good enough to take them to the playoffs, so he's not earning that elite contract. I think teams are wise enough to not fling out too much, and Cutler and Romo (although both are overpaid) will probably be the benchmarks of a team friendly deal for top tier QBs, until the cap goes up signficantly.

This isn't good news for us though, as we can't negotiate with Wilson now, while it's going to be a lot cheaper. There will be larger deals this year due to the growing cap, and more next year, so it's going to cost us 18-20 mil/year for Wilson, whether we like it or not. That's going to suck the first couple of years until the cap grows and we can absorb it easier.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Marvin49":284iwp06 said:
Sgt. Largent":284iwp06 said:
chrispy":284iwp06 said:

Well...on the "mediocre QB" part, I think most 49er fans remember a guy who was tabbed almost the exact same way...Steve Young. I remember some people in the media saying they'd never win a championship with him. Steve really got good when as he put it "I learned that it was better when the play ended and the ball was in someone elses hands". Kap needs to learn that. he's a smart kid so I think he will.

As for comparisons to Wilson, I actually agree with you. Wilsons agents won't be looking for what Kap got. They'll be looking for what other SB wining QBs got. Right now, thats Flacco/Rogers and thats north of 20 mil per.

Steve Young had like an 80% completion percentage at BYU, Kaepernick didn't even sniff 60% at Utah, and is about the same at SF. To compare the two just doesn't work for me.

Kaepernick is a fantastic athlete, and will remain a dangerous QB for at least another 3-4 years. But is he ever going to develop into a reliable QB that can complete the clutch accurate passes inside the pocket that you need him to in order to win a SB? I just can't say yes at this point. He's far too erratic for my tastes.

If you're going to compare him to somebody, a smarter Michael Vick is who I'd say.

rigelian

Reaction score
Steve Young had like an 80% completion percentage at BYU, Kaepernick didn't even sniff 60% at Utah, and is about the same at SF. To compare the two just doesn't work for me.

Kaepernick is a fantastic athlete, and will remain a dangerous QB for at least another 3-4 years. But is he ever going to develop into a reliable QB that can complete the clutch accurate passes inside the pocket that you need him to in order to win a SB? I just can't say yes at this point. He's far too erratic for my tastes.

If you're going to compare him to somebody, a smarter Michael Vick is who I'd say.
[/quote]

For some reason Kaepernick reminds me more of Randall Cunningham in his prime. Long stride, strong arm, throws with little arc on the ball, good runner and a bit inconsistent.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vngyenj said:
Marvin49":1vngyenj said:
Sgt. Largent":1vngyenj said:
chrispy":1vngyenj said:

It is a fair comparison because we are talking NFL not college where Young played under an offense that made the Detmers look like Manning.

On top of that Kap went to Nevada not Utah so theres that too.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
rigelian":13fi7cvm said:

[
For some reason Kaepernick reminds me more of Randall Cunningham in his prime. Long stride, strong arm, throws with little arc on the ball, good runner and a bit inconsistent.
Nice comparison. Too bad he's in the same division as Wilson.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rigelian":34ixr42w said:

For some reason Kaepernick reminds me more of Randall Cunningham in his prime. Long stride, strong arm, throws with little arc on the ball, good runner and a bit inconsistent.[/quote]

I've been saying that for 2 years now. lol.

He's not quite as gumby-esque as Cunningham was, but I thinks that's the closest comparison.

The biggest difference thus far tho are playoff wins. Randall just couldn't win games in the playoffs, and he had one of the best D's ever assembled in Philly.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":1cambnau said:
Sgt. Largent":1cambnau said:
chrispy":1cambnau said:

Kraepper = Steve Young??? :34853_doh:
You've said a lot of stupid crap here, this might take the cake!
Your smokin some serious good sheet!

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":357yx0j6 said:
MizzouHawkGal":357yx0j6 said:
No the franchise tag locks them up a year at a time.

Depends on the tag...Exclusive or non-exculsive.

Not sure why you would use the Non exclusive though...

NOBODY would give two first round picks for Kaepernick.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":3oq63amf said:
Marvin49":3oq63amf said:
MizzouHawkGal":3oq63amf said:

I think you are kidding yourself on that one, but I doubt we can resolve the argument because I don't think anyone will get the opportunity to test the theory.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":eomu66kc said:
rideaducati":eomu66kc said:
Marvin49":eomu66kc said:
MizzouHawkGal":eomu66kc said:

I think you are kidding yourself on that one, but I doubt we can resolve the argument because I don't think anyone will get the opportunity to test the theory.

You're probably right...the raiders would do something incredibly stupid like that.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":1oamrwa0 said:
rideaducati":1oamrwa0 said:
Marvin49":1oamrwa0 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1oamrwa0 said:

Delusion and Whiner fandom goes hand in hand. See above.