Kam wants a new deal, don't say Seahawks set a precedent

ringless

Reaction score
Give him an extra $3 million for the remainder of his contract and make him and 31 other teams in the league happy by doing so.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
ringless":1tccmlos said:
Give him an extra $3 million for the remainder of his contract and make him and 31 other teams in the league happy by doing so.

How would that make the other 31 teams in the league happy?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":6vyjqs1v said:
ringless":6vyjqs1v said:

How would that make the other 31 teams in the league happy?
Probably because of the cap ramifications and that every other player on the hawks will now know that the FO will cave and will demand new deals

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":t4eg8i9u said:
FidelisHawk":t4eg8i9u said:
I’m having a hard time seeing what Kam’s beef is...

He’s the 8th highest paid safety in the league, highest paid SS, and the highest paid #2 safety.
The Seahawks allot more money to the safety position than anyone else in the league, by over 2mil.
All but 100k of this year’s salary is guaranteed and at the end of the year all but 325k of his 17 mil guarantee monies will have been paid him.

So, unless this is a preemptive strike for years 2016 and ‘17 he not only doesn’t have much leverage, he doesn’t have much of a leg to stand on…

He's not the highest paid SS. Reshad Jones and Eric Berry both play SS.

He is the 3rd highest paid SS and 8th highest paid safety overall.

I'm not sure what you mean by "#2 safety." Both Thomas and Chancellor are All Pros on a HoF trajectory.

What I gathered from Carroll's comments is that they hope they can get something done for Chancellor, perhaps moving incentive money into guaranteed like they did for Marshawn.

This may all true (though I thought Eric was a FS and just brainfarted on Reshad); Kam is still being paid as a top ten safety whose salary is almost entirely guaranteed through this year, more than the top paid safety on 25 other teams and 2mil more than the second highest paid safety (which is what I meant by a #2 safety) on any team in the league.

If his complaint is next year’s 5.1 mil not being guaranteed, I feel he has a better stance to holdout next year than he does at this time.

If his complaint is the last year’s 6.8 mil salary not being guaranteed then I think he’s just being silly. 2016 rolls around and he’s playing at as high a level as he has been, then he holds-out for a contract extension renegotiation in 2017 with an even stronger position.

If his complaint is he should be the highest paid safety on this team, then that simply is not going to happen unless his career outlast Earl’s.

And finally if his complaint is to move his 100k Probowl incentive (the only incentive I can find) into his salary then by all means do it, which will then make him the second highest paid SS and the 7th over all, if those are the kind of things that will make him happy, but does he need to holdout for that?

In either case I just feel his holdout is unneeded or at least untimely considering his current contract situation for the reasons I’ve stated and has nothing to do with the player or how he plays (both of which I admire). Who knows maybe he just wants some extra time off ala Walter Jones and the whole thing will be a nonstory in a couple weeks…

RW92

Reaction score
You will see Kam during the pre-season at some point. I just hope he isn't out too long. That's when injuries occur and they stay with you all season. He's a game changer, that doesn't come along too often. To contend with the likes of Green Bay and Dallas, Seattle needs him. Those will be two telling and pivotal games for the Seahawks this year, especially that second game against the Packers. They will need a seasoned Kam for that game on September 20th. Hope we see him in camp this week.

Decimation

Reaction score
We need this guy. He simply just isn't replaceable, I'm sure all will work out and he will come back. I mean, he has proclaimed "love our brothers" on numerous occasions.

I'm sure we will see Kam the leader within the first preseason game.