Kap

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":vz73yn3b said:
This is always a fallacious argument. Why can't he stay here and make it a better place than it is, as BLM wants to do.

Without getting too political, and not pointed at you specifically, I think this exposes that many NFL fans are entitled and spoiled. They believe that these athletes are alive to entertain them and see them as objects rather than people. These fans believe that the political and social mores that they support should also be followed willy-nilly by these players.

I think sports fandom is at an extremely sick place now. Too many entitled fans who think the puppets should dance as they like, when they like. This Kap thing is just more proof of that.

Come down on either side of the main issue as you like, but I'm I don't see this (this being what you wrote) at all. I could be wrong but I suspect most sports stars disagree with me politically. I don't expect them agree with me all the time. Or "dance" as you put it. I think for the most part people would prefer the politics be left out of it, not that people agree with them.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1ht69kev said:
OahuHawkFan":1ht69kev said:
Even Webzone is pretty done with Kap at this point.

I have very little patience for a BLM sympathizer who clearly hates and has no problem disrespecting the country he lives in. I hope he leaves the USA, and goes somewhere he feels he can be proud to live. I think maybe he would learn a thing or two about how well he has it in searching for such a place...

This is always a fallacious argument. Why can't he stay here and make it a better place than it is, as BLM wants to do.

Without getting too political, and not pointed at you specifically, I think this exposes that many NFL fans are entitled and spoiled. They believe that these athletes are alive to entertain them and see them as objects rather than people. These fans believe that the political and social mores that they support should also be followed willy-nilly by these players.

I think sports fandom is at an extremely sick place now. Too many entitled fans who think the puppets should dance as they like, when they like. This Kap thing is just more proof of that.
The fact they ARE here to entertain us. Full stop and no pass go. They should leave their politics at the door end of story. They can be activist's in their private lives all they want but they are there for entertainment. It's also their job and no job lets anybody use it for some kind of personal political platform while on said job simple as that. And if they do they should expect major repercussions including and up to permanent loss of employment in that current field.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
MizzouHawkGal":7lte0wtf said:
Smelly McUgly":7lte0wtf said:
OahuHawkFan":7lte0wtf said:

I have very little patience for a BLM sympathizer who clearly hates and has no problem disrespecting the country he lives in. I hope he leaves the USA, and goes somewhere he feels he can be proud to live. I think maybe he would learn a thing or two about how well he has it in searching for such a place...

The fact they ARE here to entertain us. Full stop and no pass go. They should leave their politics at the door end of story. They can be activist's in their private lives all they want but they are there for entertainment. It's also their job and no job lets anybody use it for some kind of personal political platform while on said job simple as that. And if they do they should expect major repercussions including and up to permanent loss of employment in that current field.

Then we must take all the overtly political pledge/troops/etc. stuff out of sports too. You cannot have it both ways, and Kaepernick should not have to placate a whole bunch of fans who believe that forced displays of patriotism, which are inherently political, are a desirable thing.

For this reason, I also think that salary terms should be hidden from fams, for that is none of a fan's business. Stick to the game and only the game.

You are wrong that jobs are full stop not places to put forth political ideals. As a college educator, my colleagues often clearly share their political beliefs with no reprisals. Your blanket statement is demonstrably incorrect.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Rat":lblojmyr said:
I personally don't care about the protest, but Kap isn't good enough to be making a stance like this. Russ could probably get away with it, and Cam Newton is the only other minority QB who might.

Agreed; he is barely an NFL player and needs to spend his time working on the mental side of his position. He's his own person and can make his own decisions, but from a self-preservation standpoint he's hurting himself. If he really wants to have a platform he should earn one where people respect him, because few are listening to him at this point.

Whether or not he has a point is irrelevant, because he has become irrelevant himself.

Riley12

Reaction score
Man! I hate Kaepernick b/c he is the QB of the Niners and disagree with his actions, but damn if I don't respect him for putting his beliefs out there on a huge stage. More than I have ever done for my beliefs, that's for sure, and maybe even more than I would do if little ol' me actually had that level of exposure.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
just looking for attention as he is no longere relevant...no more beats commercials no more media attention just a dead arm and a bad attitude...his career is in the krapper...remember when ppl thought he was and would be better than wilson??? now hes second fiddle to gabbert!

FearTheBeak

Reaction score
Can't we just ship him to the CFL already? Political statement aside, so done with the guy.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":32dzq8aw said:
MizzouHawkGal":32dzq8aw said:
Smelly McUgly":32dzq8aw said:
OahuHawkFan":32dzq8aw said:

Then we must take all the overtly political pledge/troops/etc. stuff out of sports too. You cannot have it both ways, and Kaepernick should not have to placate a whole bunch of fans who believe that forced displays of patriotism, which are inherently political, are a desirable thing.

For this reason, I also think that salary terms should be hidden from fams, for that is none of a fan's business. Stick to the game and only the game.

You are wrong that jobs are full stop not places to put forth political ideals. As a college educator, my colleagues often clearly share their political beliefs with no reprisals. Your blanket statement is demonstrably incorrect.

The NFL probably makes a fair amount of money off the troops-suppory stuff they do, so, um, no.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3i2oyvo4 said:
MizzouHawkGal":3i2oyvo4 said:
Smelly McUgly":3i2oyvo4 said:
OahuHawkFan":3i2oyvo4 said:

College professor? That explains quite a lot about your view and just how wrong you are. Academia and University life is an alternate reality almost like a time vacole. Literally outside the actual rules in some weird bubble. It's permissible and even demanded to experiment and test limits. Or find yourself. Actual jobs and real life doesn't allow for that. They demand performance and assume you have found yourself already.

mrt144

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1e8s0zca said:
Smelly McUgly":1e8s0zca said:
OahuHawkFan":1e8s0zca said:

Your entitlement to be entertained and not actualize people makes me feel bad. Seriously, you're crapping on someone for having an opinion and stance because you want them to be soulless football automatons who only do one thing for you and nothing more and are in the same unfortunate work situation that you are vis a vis being able politically protest. Do you have a job in entertainment? Do you have a job with a CBA that covers your right to political expression? If not, how is his situation at all parallelled by us, the fans?

Why is this such a thorny issue for you? What does Kaep being political do to you and your enjoyment of football, actively? Concretely? You are choosing to die on a hill of self indulgent outrage.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
mrt144":320mrrkz said:
MizzouHawkGal":320mrrkz said:
Smelly McUgly":320mrrkz said:
OahuHawkFan":320mrrkz said:

Your entitlement to be entertained and not actualize people makes me feel bad. Seriously, you're crapping on someone for having an opinion and stance because you want them to be soulless football automatons who only do one thing for you and nothing more and are in the same unfortunate work situation that you are vis a vis being able politically protest. Do you have a job in entertainment? Do you have a job with a CBA that covers your right to political expression? If not, how is his situation at all parallelled by us, the fans?

Why is this such a thorny issue for you? What does Kaep being political do to you and your enjoyment of football, actively? Concretely? You are choosing to die on a hill of self indulgent outrage.
Get off the high horse you look silly. And if you actually knew me you would be mortified by calling me entitled. Let's just say you have no clue about entitlement or disenfranchisement.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I find myself in a quandary on this one. Trying hard not to wade into the politics of it.

First off, I'm not a fan of his stance or his opinion on the flag. I'm not a fan of creating further drama on a team that already has way too much. I prefer my sports to be all about sports and while I certainly have political views I use sports as an escape and would greatly prefer them to be separate.

The problem with that is the players are human. They aren't robots. They have their own opinions on social issues and have the right to stand by them. Kap knew what he was getting into. He knew how people would react. He knows that football could be taken away from him and a ton of potential earnings. He did it anyway.

As others have said, I find it a bit offensive to disrespect the flag and what it represents to those who fought for our freedoms. I honestly don't think his intention is to dishonor those men and women in uniform and his statement is about social injustice, not the military.

Here's the rub tho...one of those freedoms people died to protect is to protest in exactly the manor he did. How can I get mad that he disrespected the men and women who fought for his freedom when all he did was exercise the rights that that they fought for? How can I fault a guy for standing up for something he's so passionate about that he's willing to lose everything to take a stand.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't believe in what he's saying but I'd die fighting for his right to say it.

mrt144

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":xfp817pm said:
Smelly McUgly":xfp817pm said:
College professor? That explains quite a lot about your view and just how wrong you are. Academia and University life is an alternate reality almost like a time vacole. Literally outside the actual rules in some weird bubble. It's permissible in even demanded to experiment and test limits. Or find yourself. Actual jobs and real life doesn't allow for that. They demand performance and assume you have found yourself already.

Academia is real life, people earn real income, have real careers in it, and provide a public good etc etc. Just because it isn't reflective of your situation or most's doesn't make it unreal or inferior, it makes it different. You have got to try and do better than offering your own life as prescriptive for everyone elses' as hard as that may be. Take a step back and realize different people have different liberties available to them based on career choice.

As easy as it is to disregard academia as 'real' but the houses bought, the food put on the table, and the families created with that profession at its bedrock are exist. Diminishing that existence reflects poorly on you, not the people leading superb lives trading in some of the benefits of private sector work for that in academia.

Laloosh

Reaction score
See line 43 of section 8 in the 12th man handbook regarding personal attacks and political discussion if you'd like to freshen up on why threads are locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts